Essential viewing if you wish to make a proposal to a contribution for IATEFL conference 2014 Harrogate UK

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2013
      To stand a fighting chance of having a proposal accepted for a presentation at next year's IATEFL conference in Harrogate viewing the following excellent webinar is an absolute must.

      Did you know that if your proposal, summary exceeds the stated word limit by just ONE word, as I understand it, your proposal will be AUTOMATICALLY rejected - i.e. by a program, not a person.

      Dennis

      ----------

      Madeleine du Vivier
      IATEFL Past President and Conference Programmer for the Annual IATEFL Conference
      Teacher Training Co-ordinator, Centre for Languages & International Education, University College London http://iatefl.adobeconnect.com/r3feevccoj5/

      --
      *

      Dennis Newson
      Formerly : University of Osnabrueck, GERMANY

      Committee member : IATEFL YLTSIG

      Network Coordinator  IATEFL:YLTSIG Teens (T)

      Committee Member : IATEFL GISIG: Social  networking

      Founder: Osna Group Second Life

      Initiator:  MCC - Machinima Creative Club  Second Life

      Winner British Council ELT 05 Team Innovation Award

      Personal homepage

       Skype: Osnacantab
      Second Life: Osnacantab Nesterov

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 9, 2013
        I have occasionally filled in conference proposals that count words for you as you write them, and Ning will let you know when you have exceeded their event announcement limit and will then crudely stop working, but at least you know you need to shorten your entry.  It would be nice if they told you by how much, as twitter does.

        All this is to say that if IATEFL has a script that counts words as received at their server, then why doesn't it apply that script when people fill in the forms in the first place?

        Just sayin ... seems only fair, could prevent misunderstandings when Word counts hyphens one way and their script counts them another ...

        Vance

        On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Dennis Newson <djn@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Gavin Dudeney
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 9, 2013
          Vance,

          The online proposal form for IATEFL does indeed count words in ALL the major text entry boxes where word counts count! That is to say, in the following boxes:

          1) Title
          2) Abstract
          3) Summary

          Hope that helps,

          Gavin

          9 September 2013 13:52

          I have occasionally filled in conference proposals that count words for you as you write them, and Ning will let you know when you have exceeded their event announcement limit and will then crudely stop working, but at least you know you need to shorten your entry.  It would be nice if they told you by how much, as twitter does.

          All this is to say that if IATEFL has a script that counts words as received at their server, then why doesn't it apply that script when people fill in the forms in the first place?

          Just sayin ... seems only fair, could prevent misunderstandings when Word counts hyphens one way and their script counts them another ...

          Vance

          9 September 2013 10:11

[...]

          Gavin Dudeney - Director of Technology, The Consultants-E
          c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain | +34 93
          427 4240
          [ TCE Blogs  |  TCE Facebook  |  TCE Twitter  |  TCE YouTube ]

          CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE
          This email and any attachments are private and confidential. It is intended for the recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure, distribution, printing or copying of this email is unauthorised. You may not read, use or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately by replying to this email and permanently delete the email from your computer. The contents of any attachments to this email may contain software viruses which could damage your own computer system. While we have taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments.

        • Dennis Newson
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 9, 2013
            Vance,

            Thanks for that response (I agree about hyphens. I wonder how IATEFL would deal with a proposal that started:

            A-presenter-who-is-absolutely-against-xxxx-and-absolutely-for.......)    :-)

            I shall re-post to IATEFL and (hopely) elicit) an authoritative answer. Perhaps I misunderstood what the presenter said.

            Dennis

            --
            *

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 9, 2013