First Annual Global Flipped Learning Day!

  • lainemarsh
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 28, 2013
      On September 6, 2013, the Flipped Learning Network™ will host the
      first "Flip Your Classroom Day: A Global Initiative." On
      Flipped Day <http://www.flippedday.org/> -- 9-6-2013 -- educators
      across the globe will take a pledge to flip one lesson to experience
      Flipped Learning, with the expectation this leads to further flipped
      units or an entire course. For more information, visit flippedday.org
      <http://www.flippedday.org>

      I'll be flipping my second language acquisition class all semester. I
      am really excited to do it! Have any of you tried flipping your
      ESL/EFL classes?

      Laine

      Laine Marshall

      White Plains, NY USA

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 30, 2013
        Hi Laine and everyone,

        If you want to know more about flipped classrooms, you can listen to Laine
        telling us more about it here
        http://learning2gether.net/2013/05/12/laine-marshall-and-maria-colussa-ltmooc-and-the-flipped-classroom/

        Meanwhile, I've been working lately in a place where the students have had
        very little access to computers, which has caused a lot of tension and
        negotiation over who gets to use the one computer at the head of the
        classroom, and often I have let the students take control just for the
        window it gives me into their thinking.

        But yesterday, everything flipped. The students were suddenly issued
        laptops. The laptops had been on order for a long time, but it was always
        uncertain where the holdup was. So when they suddenly were given out to
        the students, with no notice and no software on them, teachers are in the
        position of going into classes where students will be in their own worlds
        with their new toys.

        The only solution is to reach the students through their laptops which
        means to use a portal which they must visit to get their assignments, and
        allow them the freedom to multitask on condition they produce whatever
        project work they need to do to meet course requirements.

        Some teachers are flipping out in this situation, but I'm flipping the
        classroom, seems like the natural thing to do.

        Incidentally I'm about to announce the topic for Sunday's Learning2gether
        event. It's at 1300 GMT, in Hangout, and is meant to be a discussion of
        what new tools and techniques teachers will be trying out this new school
        year. I plant to share how to manage a class where all the students are
        suddenly given laptops (and the next group of students will be given iPads
        we are told :-)

        Vance

        On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 6:36 AM, lainemarsh <helaine.marshall@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > On September 6, 2013, the Flipped Learning Network� will host the
        > first "Flip Your Classroom Day: A Global Initiative." On
        > Flipped Day <http://www.flippedday.org/> -- 9-6-2013 -- educators
        > across the globe will take a pledge to flip one lesson to experience
        > Flipped Learning, with the expectation this leads to further flipped
        > units or an entire course. For more information, visit flippedday.org
        > <http://www.flippedday.org>
        >
        > I'll be flipping my second language acquisition class all semester. I
        > am really excited to do it! Have any of you tried flipping your
        > ESL/EFL classes?
        >
        > Laine
        >
        > Laine Marshall
        >
        > White Plains, NY USA

        Vance Stevens
        http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
        http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

      • John Hibbs
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 30, 2013
          From the last pew in the Webheads church, where the Dummies are
          seated, come a few spit balls. Here goes:

          Re the flipped classroom: "What's the role of the Smart Phone in a
          flipped classroom"? Does every student need his own lap top? his own
          iPad? Would outcomes improve by encouraging the students to select
          one, two, three "partners" physically, emotionally, intellectually
          physically close to each other? That if these were groups of three,
          and all had a Smart Phone, do they all need their own lap top? their
          own iPad? their own Kindle?

          Re the 'shared/Flipped classroom: What thinks Thee about entities
          like http://meetup.com and https://www.airbnb.com/ and,
          http://www.gobicab.com/ -- and even MOOCs (In their own way). All of
          them are putting an indelible stamp on the power of F2F gatherings
          that are blended, weaved, stitched, glued by slick on-line
          technologies.

          Entities where the Smart Phone(apps) are playing the lead role.

          The flip side of the "sharing" idea raises another hugely important
          question ---

          How many schools are optimizing their physical structures? Summer,
          winter, fall and spring? Weekends, evenings, holidays? 24/7? How long
          would it take Don Trump to better utilize the value of these physical
          properties? Answer: One New York Minute,

          In combination with a flipped classroom, how much would THAT
          contribute to better learning outcomes?

          For this group especially is acceptance of how rare the Webheads are.
          You are as happy with change as is duck with water on her back. I'm
          not sure that you recognize that what you are advocating is to flip
          those with Power right outside of their own comfort zones.,,in a way
          that hurts them in their wallets and their purses.

          That's a tough proposition, on bloody display in too much of the
          Middle East; on ugly display all over the world, Entrenched people in
          powerful positions are not dislodged easily.

          The great good news is that the Web and the Smart Phone are weapons
          of mass disruption. So how long before the disruption becomes
          common? Who knows. But here is the last of my spit balls:

          From the Wright Brothers to the Space Shuttle took 75 years.

          From the model of 'stand and deliver'' classrooms to the reality of
          flipped classrooms and optimum 'sharing' (Khan, MOOCs, taxis,
          bedrooms,) -- how long?