Dennis: Copying embedded video files from Ning?

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013
      [With apologies for cross-posting: Webheads, learningwithcomputers,
      learning technologies]

      Greetings. On behalf of IATEFL's YLTSIG, as Manager of their Ning facility
      I am closing down the Ning in September because we do not feel that we can
      justify continuing to pay the large annual fee.

      I can report that the YLTSIG Ning, roughly 120 + members ( accessible by
      paid-up members of IATEFL only) was used almost exclusively as a bank of
      embedded videos - approximately 125 - 200 entries.

      QUESTION:

      Is there a way of downloading all the embedded video files so that can be
      uploaded to a new site.

      Dennis

      *

      *Dennis Newson*
      Formerly : University of Osnabrueck, GERMANY

      Committee member : IATEFL: YLTSIG,Network Coordinator Teens (*T*)

      Committee Member : IATEFL GISIG

      Founder: Osna Group Second Life

      Initiator: MCC - Machinima Creative Club Second Life

      Winner British Council ELT 05 Team Innovation Award

      Personal homepage <http://www.dennisnewson.de/>

      Skype: *Osnacantab*
      Second Life: *Osnacantab Nesterov*

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 21, 2013
        Hi Dennis,

        It's been a while since our community members have been forced to grapple
        with this issue. I'm not up on the latest tools so I googled
        https://www.google.com/search?q=backup+your+ning+content&oq=back+up+your+ning+content&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0j69i62l3.15890j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

        I was glad to see that my article was one of the hits:
        http://www.tesl-ej.org/wordpress/issues/volume14/ej53/ej53int/

        This article deals with the issues but specifics are dated. Grouply turned
        out to be almost malevolent, so it's demise is perhaps welcome. The demise
        of Posterous is more sadly missed as that was an excellent choice for
        porting out your ning content.

        Pearson tried to help support Nings with fewer than 150 members (if you
        could invent a US tie-in, say through the IATEFL association with TESOL,
        Inc, you could go that route and Pearson would foot the bill). I kept a
        Ning alive in that way but gave up on maintaining it two years ago once it
        started exceeding 150 members, and especially as 90% of all requests for
        new memberships are from spammers (I still ignore several such requests
        each day). It just wasn't worth the effort and grief. Ning still
        dutifully hosts (and Pearson still pays for, bless 'em) that Ning at
        http://multiliteracies.ning.com/, and you can still read there the post
        where I wrote that I was giving up on that arrangement and why.

        Good luck,
        Vance

        On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 4:35 AM, Dennis Newson <djn@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > [With apologies for cross-posting: Webheads, learningwithcomputers,
        > learning technologies]
        >
        > Greetings. On behalf of IATEFL's YLTSIG, as Manager of their Ning facility
        > I am closing down the Ning in September because we do not feel that we can
        > justify continuing to pay the large annual fee.
        >
        > I can report that the YLTSIG Ning, roughly 120 + members ( accessible by
        > paid-up members of IATEFL only) was used almost exclusively as a bank of
        > embedded videos - approximately 125 - 200 entries.
        >
        > QUESTION:
        >
        > Is there a way of downloading all the embedded video files so that can be
        > uploaded to a new site.
        >
        > Dennis
        >
        > *
        >
        > *Dennis Newson*
        > Formerly : University of Osnabrueck, GERMANY
        >
        > Committee member : IATEFL: YLTSIG,Network Coordinator Teens (*T*)
        >
        > Committee Member : IATEFL GISIG
        >
        > Founder: Osna Group Second Life
        >
        > Initiator: MCC - Machinima Creative Club Second Life
        >
        > Winner British Council ELT 05 Team Innovation Award
        >
        > Personal homepage <http://www.dennisnewson.de/>
        >
        > Skype: *Osnacantab*
        > Second Life: *Osnacantab Nesterov*

        Vance Stevens
        http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
        http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

      • Dennis Newson
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 21, 2013
          Vance. Thanks greatly for responding. Luckily my problem is not that I have
          to replace the whole Ning service for the YLTSIG Ning. 100 plus members
          have used it quite well and regularly for a coouple of years - but
          exclusively for viewing TEFL and other videos that I recommended and
          embedded. The price we have been paying for that service alone cannot be
          justified. All that is needed for a collection of embedded URLs is a
          Wordpress or some such blog. But I would like all the URLs and/or embedding
          codes for the over 100 videos that are on the NING and was writing to find
          out if there is a file I can grab from NING containing this info rather
          than having to copy them one by one! I have until September for the task.

          Greetings,

          Dennis

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 21, 2013
            Re copying URLs/embedded codes for all videos on YLTSIG Ning

            There is, of course, a primitive, messy way of doing it - simply call up
            the page ALL VIDEOS, copy and paste.

            Dennis

            *

            *Dennis Newson*
            Formerly : University of Osnabrueck, GERMANY

            Committee member : IATEFL: YLTSIG,Network Coordinator Teens (*T*)

            Committee Member : IATEFL GISIG

            Founder: Osna Group Second Life

            Initiator: MCC - Machinima Creative Club Second Life

            Winner British Council ELT 05 Team Innovation Award

            Personal homepage <http://www.dennisnewson.de/>

            Skype: *Osnacantab*
            Second Life: *Osnacantab Nesterov*

          • frenchbob2001
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 22, 2013
              Hello Dennis,

              I found this while I had 5 mins, don't know if it will help solve your problem?

              http://www.ning.com/help/?p=5219

              Apparently yu can just archive it nd everything will be saved to your computer!

              Bob

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 22, 2013
                Bob,

                Thanks tremendously for that. It sounds almost too good to be true. I shall
                try it tomorrow and report back to all lists that I have asked for help. It
                goes without saying that I shall acknowledge that the it came from you.

                Dennis

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
                  No problem Dennis, probably just a lucky hit. I will be very happy if it works for you