Re: WorldCALL 2013 and more

  • obenausova
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 22 10:27 AM
      Hi dear all,
      My previous letter did not get through so here I go again, hope it works this time.

      I quite like FB because it helps me keep in touch with some friends who would be otherwise too lazy or busy :-)
      And at least FB does not do what other servers (like e.g.LinkedIn) do. I have just received an invite to LinkedIn from people who did not really invite me - I have checked. Invites are automatically sent by the server - did you know that? FB asks me if I know certain people and suggests inviting them, but never, as far as I know, invites anybody instead of me.
      And the settings of privacy can be set really well in FB. In fact, mine are so strict that nobody can find me in FB, it is always me who sends the invites. I did it like that because I do not want to have to ignore invites from my students - my FB is really private with family matters, I share other sites with my students.

      All the best
      Svetlana

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 27 8:29 PM
        Here in Komodo I find FB to be invaluable in informing my friends and
        acquaintences of where I am and keeping in touch with others, much more
        effective than what we had before.

        I have also been tagged unexpectedly and I simply untag myself if I don't
        like it. As far as I know that solves the problem.

        Facebook is like government, everyone complains about it, no one seems to
        be able to do much about it. It's better having it than not having it.
        It's not ideal. It's probably better than some alternatives.

        FB is what it is, no more no less. you use it under FB's conditions. If
        you don't like those conditions you should either not be on FB or take the
        trouble to learn how to alter the conditions, keeping in mind, as Claire
        says, it's not a one-off learn this and you're set for life proposition.
        You have to keep up.

        Personally, I don't feel threatened by Google or FB. So far I feel that my
        life and online experience have improved through use of both.

        Vance

        --
        Vance Stevens
        http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com