WorldCALL 2013 and more

  • Rita
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 18, 2013
      Hi, dear friends,

      I've just got back home after attending Glasgow WorldCALL 2013, and then spending two days in Dublin. The Conference was good, met many dear Webheads there –Tom, Claire, Susan, Beyza, Miguel, Carla, Jennifer, Evelyn and others— and we shared interesting experiences, as we always do when we meet f2f. Tom was a wonderful organizer and host, who did his very best to meet everybody's needs and more, and everything ran smoothly and successfully. My public thanks, Tom!!

      And then seeing Dublin was a dream of mine I am so glad I could fulfil. Dubliners are one of the most cheerful people I've ever seen.

      And now there's some interesting comment I want to share. One Webhead was rather annoyed –understandably enough!—at having noticed she had been tagged in one photograph somebody had put up in Facebook. Obviously, the "tagger" was not aware of the fact she would not be pleased at noticing her name up for everybody to see, simply because it was not her choice.

      This proves perfectly well why I am not a FB fan. Even when you open your own personal and private corner this is the risk you run, and which you cannot avoid. But maybe it would be a good idea to bear in mind that "tagging" might not always be welcome, so that we can respect everybody's feelings, as it's our motto in this wonderful community.

      Just a suggestion, having heard a very nice person complain about what I also find most irritating about FB: the lack of total privacy.

      Cheers, looking forward to reactions.
      Rita
    • Jennifer Verschoor
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 18, 2013
        I have been tagged in several pictures and thanks to FB privacy settings
        you can choose what pictures you want to share in your timeline.
        Rita please tell this person to send me an email and I'll show her how to
        change her privacy settings.
        Warm regards from Brasilia.
        Jennifer

        --
        Jennifer Verschoor
        www.jenverschoor.wordpress.com

      • Claire Bradin Siskin
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 21, 2013
          It is true that one can decide on which pictures to share in one's timeline, and it's not that difficult to change the privacy settings.

          However, Facebook often changes how the settings work in an arbitrary way and with no warning. Thus the "settings" that work on one day don't necessarily work the next day. I see many advantages in Facebook but also quite a few disadvantages. For one thing, the number of commercial advertisements that appear directly in the timeline seem to be increasing.

          Best,
          Claire

          Claire Bradin Siskin

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Verschoor <jenverschoor@...> wrote:

          > I have been tagged in several pictures and thanks to FB privacy settings
          > you can choose what pictures you want to share in your timeline.
          > Rita please tell this person to send me an email and I'll show her how to
          > change her privacy settings.
          > Warm regards from Brasilia.
          > Jennifer
          >
          > On Thursday, July 18, 2013, Rita wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hi, dear friends,
          > >
          > > I've just got back home after attending Glasgow WorldCALL 2013, and then
          > > spending two days in Dublin. The Conference was good, met many dear
          > > Webheads there –Tom, Claire, Susan, Beyza, Miguel, Carla, Jennifer, Evelyn
          > > and others— and we shared interesting experiences, as we always do when we
          > > meet f2f. Tom was a wonderful organizer and host, who did his very best to
          > > meet everybody's needs and more, and everything ran smoothly and
          > > successfully. My public thanks, Tom!!
          > >
          > > And then seeing Dublin was a dream of mine I am so glad I could fulfil.
          > > Dubliners are one of the most cheerful people I've ever seen.
          > >
          > > And now there's some interesting comment I want to share. One Webhead was
          > > rather annoyed –understandably enough!—at having noticed she had been
          > > tagged in one photograph somebody had put up in Facebook. Obviously, the
          > > "tagger" was not aware of the fact she would not be pleased at noticing her
          > > name up for everybody to see, simply because it was not her choice.
          > >
          > > This proves perfectly well why I am not a FB fan. Even when you open your
          > > own personal and private corner this is the risk you run, and which you
          > > cannot avoid. But maybe it would be a good idea to bear in mind that
          > > "tagging" might not always be welcome, so that we can respect everybody's
          > > feelings, as it's our motto in this wonderful community.
          > >
          > > Just a suggestion, having heard a very nice person complain about what I
          > > also find most irritating about FB: the lack of total privacy.
          > >
          > > Cheers, looking forward to reactions.
          > > Rita
          > >

          > --
          > Jennifer Verschoor
          > www.jenverschoor.wordpress.com

        • obenausova
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 22, 2013
            Hi dear all,
            My previous letter did not get through so here I go again, hope it works this time.

            I quite like FB because it helps me keep in touch with some friends who would be otherwise too lazy or busy :-)
            And at least FB does not do what other servers (like e.g.LinkedIn) do. I have just received an invite to LinkedIn from people who did not really invite me - I have checked. Invites are automatically sent by the server - did you know that? FB asks me if I know certain people and suggests inviting them, but never, as far as I know, invites anybody instead of me.
            And the settings of privacy can be set really well in FB. In fact, mine are so strict that nobody can find me in FB, it is always me who sends the invites. I did it like that because I do not want to have to ignore invites from my students - my FB is really private with family matters, I share other sites with my students.

            All the best
            Svetlana

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 27, 2013
              Here in Komodo I find FB to be invaluable in informing my friends and
              acquaintences of where I am and keeping in touch with others, much more
              effective than what we had before.

              I have also been tagged unexpectedly and I simply untag myself if I don't
              like it. As far as I know that solves the problem.

              Facebook is like government, everyone complains about it, no one seems to
              be able to do much about it. It's better having it than not having it.
              It's not ideal. It's probably better than some alternatives.

              FB is what it is, no more no less. you use it under FB's conditions. If
              you don't like those conditions you should either not be on FB or take the
              trouble to learn how to alter the conditions, keeping in mind, as Claire
              says, it's not a one-off learn this and you're set for life proposition.
              You have to keep up.

              Personally, I don't feel threatened by Google or FB. So far I feel that my
              life and online experience have improved through use of both.

              Vance

              --
              Vance Stevens
              http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com