Me and my monkey

  • Maria Bossa
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2013
      Hello to you all
      I do have a doubt, is it ok to say "Me and Peter..."? Robbie Williams has a song called "Me and my monkey" and I started doubting. In Spanish, we cannot put "I" or "me" before other people; it always goes after. For example I cannot say "Yo y Peter" (Me and Peter). I have to say "Peter y yo" (Peter and I).
      Can anyone help me? Thanks a lot,
      Maria :)

      Smiles, Maria

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2013
        Hi Maria,

        I think you are thinking of the expression in subject position. Consider:

        Me and my monkey have something to hide (sound strange?)
        My monkey and me have ... (wrong)
        My monkey and I have something ... (that's better :-)

        Now, in object position ...

        Everyone's got something to hide except (for) me (perfect :-)
        Everyone's got something to hide except (for) me and my monkey (ok?)
        Everyone's got something to hide except (for) my monkey and me (??)

        Everyone's got something to hide except (for) me, and (also) my monkey ...
        this would be ok

        And hey, it's Robbie Williams, cut him some slack :-)

        Vance

        On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 2:15 AM, Maria Bossa <mariabossa1@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hello to you all
        > I do have a doubt, is it ok to say "Me and Peter..."? Robbie Williams has
        > a song called "Me and my monkey" and I started doubting. In Spanish, we
        > cannot put "I" or "me" before other people; it always goes after. For
        > example I cannot say "Yo y Peter" (Me and Peter). I have to say "Peter y
        > yo" (Peter and I).
        > Can anyone help me? Thanks a lot,
        > Maria :)
        >
        > Smiles, Maria

        Vance Stevens
        http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
        http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

      • Maria Bossa
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2013
          Hi dear Vance
          Thanks for your response! In fact, I'm not interested in Robbie Williams :)
          I wanted to know as one of my post-graduate course teachers said it was ok to say "Me and Peter" so I had the doubt. I just wrote "Me and my monkey" as subject of my mail and to start the discussion since the teacher mentioned that song, too.
          Again, thanks for your reply!"I practice every day to find some clever lines to say" (Robbie Williams - Something Stupid) (I love some RW's songs and some great phrases he says)Maria :)
          Smiles, Maria

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2013
            Short answer then, you can say me and Peter in object position, but not in
            subject position. Its use in object position is probably due to acceptably
            evolved usage, not a prescriptivist grammatical one.

            best,
            Vance