Conferences that may be worth your time

  • Barbara Dieu
    Message 1 of 2 , May 14, 2013
      Got this through a colleague and am forwarding it to you as it may be
      of interest.
      B.

      Conferences that May Be Worth Your Time

      Frequently, I receive requests from those new to the field of
      educational technology to suggest conferences that would be worthwhile
      to attend. It can be a difficult request to fulfill as the response:
      - primarily depends on the interests of the individual, for example,
      is she/he interested in K-12, post-secondary, or business
      applications, or prefers an emphasis on technology as oppose to
      teaching and learning;
      - must address his or her expectations regarding the level of
      interactivity and the balance between theory and practice;
      - must take into account the funds available for registration, travel,
      and accommodation;
      - depends on the requestor's location (for example, I am based in
      Canada but undertake projects in Southeast Asia and Africa); and
      - can be highly subjective.

      If you are new to educational technology and can attend only one event
      in the upcoming year, do CONSIDER one of the major events below (out
      of the NUMEROUS possibilities. In subsequent years, you could select a
      different adventure.). Suggested conferences on my shortlists are
      arranged in alphabetical order. My selections for the first group
      comprise events I would want to be associated with as an organizer
      and, at times, covered the entire conference experience with my own
      personal funds. I also presented at most of them. Those in the second
      group come highly recommended and, in most cases, I contributed to
      conference papers, and/or viewed video-taped sessions or papers placed
      online.

      American Society for Training and Development (ASTD), May
      Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT),
      October/November
      DevLearn, organized by eLearning Guild, October
      Ed Media, organized by the Association for the Advancement of
      Computing in Education (AACE), June
      eLearning Africa, May
      Educa (Berlin), November/December
      EDUCAUSE, September/October
      International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE), date varies
      League for Innovation in the Community College, March
      Pan-Commonwealth Forum on Open Learning, organized by the Commonwealth
      of Learning, date varies
      Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education (SITE), March
      The Performance Improvement Conference, organized by the International
      Society for Performance Improvement (ISPI), April

      You may also want to consider the events below. Prior to making your
      decision, do take a look at current and past conferences of the
      organizations listed.

      Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU), October to December
      Association for Learning Technology (UK), September
      Australasia Computing Education, January
      Brazilian Association of Distance Education, September
      E-Learn, organized by AACE, October
      Elliott Masie's Learning, November
      Emerging Technologies for Online Learning, organized by Sloan
      Consortium and MERLOT, April
      European Association of Distance and Teaching Universities (EADTU), October
      European Distance and e-Learning Network (EDEN), June
      Global Time: Global Conference on Technology, Innovation, Media and
      Education, offered online in February
      International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE), June
      Learning Solutions, organized by eLearning Guild, March
      MIT Learning International Networks Consortium (LINC), May/June
      New Learning Technologies Conference, organized by the Society for
      Applied Learning Technology (SALT), March
      Sloan Consortium Online Learning, November
      Training Conference and Expo, organized by Training Magazine, February

      If your focus is on learning and teaching, below are a few suggestions
      for your consideration. Many of these events occur in North America. I
      would highlight events elsewhere if I was aware of them.

      Best Teachers Summer Institute, June
      Committee on College Teaching and Learning (CCTL) Conference, January
      Faculty Development Summer Institute on Active Learning and Teaching,
      July/August
      International Conference on College Teaching and Learning, April
      International Conference on Improving University Teaching, July
      International Higher Education Teaching and Learning Association, January
      International Institute for SoTL Scholars and Mentors (IISSAM), May/June
      International Society for Exploring Teaching and Learning (ISETL), October
      International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
      (ISSOTL), October
      International Study Association on Teachers and Teaching (ISATT), July
      Lilly Conference on College and University Teaching, dates vary
      National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development (NISOD), May
      North American Council for Staff, Program and Organizational
      Development (NCSPOD), October
      Professional and Organizational Development (POD), October
      Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) Commons, March
      Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE), June
      Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA), May
      Teaching Professor Conference, May/June
      Teaching Professor Technology Conference, October

      Note also that every major area of study, such as English as a second
      language, nursing, mathematics, psychology, science, teacher
      education, and vocational education, all have their own associations
      that offer newsletters, journals, and/or conferences. It would be
      advantageous to examine http://fakejournals.blogspot.ca/ or Jeffry
      Beale’s list of questionable publishers and organizations
      http://scholarlyoa.com/2012/12/06/bealls-list-of-predatory-publishers-2013/
      so that you could consider whether you want to attend events sponsored
      by these organizations.

      Despite the shortlist I provided above, the conference you select must
      be congruent with YOUR interests, needs, and resources. Once you have
      selected a conference, do read "How to Get the Most Out of a
      Conference" by Stephen Downes,
      http://halfanhour.blogspot.ca/2011/11/how-to-get-most-out-of-conference.html

      I trust that the 29th version of this conference list will be useful
      to you and your colleagues. Background to the list and suggestions for
      promoting your event on the web can be found at
      http://newsletter.alt.ac.uk/2011/08/why-distribute-documents-in-ms-word-or-openoffice-for-an-international-audience/,
      an article published by Seb Schmoller. According to Rory McGreal, all
      the suggestions in the article are helpful for presenting your
      conference on the web; however, the use of frames may work well on a
      desktop, but is not recommended for mobile devices. Increasingly, we
      must consider how best to design a website that can be viewed across
      all platforms.

      If I missed an event that you would highly recommend your colleagues
      to attend, let me know so I can add it to the 30th edition of the
      conference list.

      Best regards,
      Clayton

      P.S. You are encouraged to share the list with your colleagues or cut
      and paste a customized list that meets their specific needs. But,
      kindly retain the contact information when you re-distribute the list
      or mount it on the web as that is how I receive updates and find out
      about new events. It is relatively easy to find events scheduled for
      the next two or three months, but much more difficult to ascertain
      information for events beyond that time period. May your day be a
      productive one! crw

      --
      Barbara Dieu
      http://barbaradieu.com