Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: [baw2013] Online Session

  • ppypp2004
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2013
      Thanks Vance We will be in presidential elections in Venezuela
      Este mensaje ha sido enviado gracias al servicio BlackBerry de Movilnet

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 15, 2013
        Most native English speakers know the meaning of a mulligan. I
        suspect most ESL students do not. Stretched to its widest
        boundaries, this message has mulligan overtones -- where
        forgiveness is part and parcel to the term. Please forgive what
        follows. The rest has nothing whatsoever to do with the teaching of
        ESL.

        Proceed at your own risk; mindful of Ben Franklin's best advice:
        "Time is the most valuable commodity of them all".

        Boxing is called the 'sweet science'. Baseball is a 'game of inches'.
        Golf, as all who play the game will agree, was concocted in hell by
        the Devil himself. He allows you to make shots equal to any of the
        Greats. Then, with equal measures of cruelty and delight, he puts
        your ball in the woods. Or in the lake. Or places never to be found
        again. (In Hong Kong while looking for a errant shot I met up with a
        cobra...which instantly scrambled off after one look at a raging
        lunatic in the grip of a three-iron.)

        Today, the Devil is now in glee.

        This weekend in Augusta, Tiger was on his way to the lead with a shot
        so perfect it hit the bottom end of the pin; could have easily
        dropped in the hole for an eagle. But, no the Devil, with all his
        craft and evil intent, made the ball bounce into the creek.
        Thereafter, predictably, a media frenzy pounding Tiger. Then, Sunday,
        predictably, Tiger getting off the deck, like a great racehorse down
        the backstretch. But this is golf, the Devil's game so Tiger was,
        predictably punished by a half dozen puts that missed the hole by a
        thread.

        HOWEVER all that blarney is NOT the point of this message. Give me
        one more mulligan. (Or not?) You have been warned...but HERE, finally
        is the point.

        All four days of the Masters I was planted on my couch; but Sunday
        was the best.

        Three marvelous Australians, an Argentine ,and a young, brash Yank --
        are there no other kind? -- were each doing battle with themselves,
        the course and the Devil. The caddy for the Argentine was the man's
        son -- bonded with each other in ways that would make a grown man
        cry. I sensed the two of them were having more fun than anyone on
        the course. Or maybe even anyone watching? You think the tango is
        pretty? Not half as pretty as the show put on by Angel Caberera, a
        grandfather no less.

        But there come the Australians, and how could I not cheer for them?
        I "grew up" in Kangaroo Valley, Earls Court, London, circa 1964;
        traveled overland from England to Sydney with two Ozzies; visited the
        country many, many times,-- one of which, Dear Webheads, was at the
        invitation of Michael Coglan. If that isn't pleasurable company,
        then what is?

        Bless you Webheads for allowing this long rant. The end is near.
        After four full days of golf in regulation, one Argentine and one
        Australian ended up in dead a dead heat. Mano-a-mano, more Tango,
        from tee to green. But it was the tango the Ozzie, Adam Scott, who
        --- his words "put a brand new notch in the belt of Australian
        sports".

        Even the Devil can't take away a Green Jacket as grand as the one now
        enroute to the Down Under.

        Good on ya Mate.

        John
        About Tiger?
        The NY Times has lovely article. Worth reading; if only for the
        pleasure or REALLY good writing.
        Woods's Odd Journey Through Golf's Majors
        <http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/15/sports/golf/a-strange-journey-for-tiger-woods-through-golfs-majors.html?_r=0>
      • Michael Coghlan
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 15, 2013
          Thanks John - I enjoyed this. Good on ya mate indeed!

          - Michael