Google Reader Substitutes

  • Maryanne
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
      I was dismayed to learn that Google Reader will be discontinued in July 2013. Does anyone have a recommendation for a substitute?
      Thanks,
      Maryanne
    • Ronaldo Lima, Jr.
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
        Hi Maryanne,

        Here's Larry Ferlazzo's great list of alternatives: http://goo.gl/tPaui

        I, personally, am using feedly, web and mobile versions.

        Best wishes from Brazil!

        Ronaldo

        On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Maryanne <maryanneburgos@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I was dismayed to learn that Google Reader will be discontinued in July
        > 2013. Does anyone have a recommendation for a substitute?
        > Thanks,
        > Maryanne

      • Dr. Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013
          Maryanne --
          Here is a pretty comprehensive list of RSS readers, each with a short annotation:
          http://list.ly/list/33u-google-reader-rss-reader-alternatives-crowdsourced-list
          I decided long ago to use Feedblitz, http://www.feedblitz.com/, which sends an email when an update occurs. I just never used to get around to going to the reader site to look at what had happened. Feedblitz also works for other kinds of webpages besides blogs.
          --Elizabeth

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Maryanne" <maryanneburgos@...> wrote:

          > I was dismayed to learn that Google Reader will be discontinued in July 2013. Does anyone have a recommendation for a substitute?
          > Thanks,
          > Maryanne

        • Carla arena
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013
            Just like Ronaldo, I�m using Feedly and loving it!

            Carla Arena

            On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Dr. Elizabeth Hanson-Smith <
            ehansonsmi@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Maryanne --
            > Here is a pretty comprehensive list of RSS readers, each with a short
            > annotation:
            >
            > http://list.ly/list/33u-google-reader-rss-reader-alternatives-crowdsourced-list
            > I decided long ago to use Feedblitz, http://www.feedblitz.com/, which
            > sends an email when an update occurs. I just never used to get around to
            > going to the reader site to look at what had happened. Feedblitz also works
            > for other kinds of webpages besides blogs.
            > --Elizabeth
            >
            > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Maryanne" <maryanneburgos@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I was dismayed to learn that Google Reader will be discontinued in July
            > 2013. Does anyone have a recommendation for a substitute?
            > > Thanks,
            > > Maryanne

          • Maryanne
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013
              Ronaldo,
              Thanks for the link to alternatives.
              Maryanne
            • Maryanne
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013
                Elizabeth,
                Thanks for the crowd sourced list. I'll start comparing soon.
                Maryanne
              • Maryanne
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 3, 2013
                  Thanks, Carla. I'm going to export my feeds to both Feedly and Netvibes to see how they compare.

                  Maryanne
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 5, 2013
                    I wonder if anyone would like to get together in May or June and discuss
                    this further. Reader shuts down July 1 http://googlereader.blogspot.com/

                    This would be for any Sunday / Monday after noon GMT on
                    http://learning2gether.pbworks.com

                    Let me know if interested and if any dates are inconvenient if you're
                    interested.

                    Any other topics, we are lining up presenters for the coming term,

                    Vance

                    --
                    Vance Stevens
                    http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com

                  • Nina Liakos
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 5, 2013
                      Yes, I'd be interested. I'll be away in France about June 8-23. But if
                      those dates work for others I will reap the benefits when I get back. I am
                      pretty clueless about it myself so would be present as a listener, not as
                      one who had any great suggestions.

                      Nina