Learning2gether from now to the end of March

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 16, 2013
      Hi everyone,

      Time for your weekly Learning2gether update. First, last week - we had an
      excellent Hangout event with Alex Hayes and a number of his colleagues,
      talking about some of the fascinating cutting edge topics that Alex is
      getting into in the course of his PhD studies. These include many aspects
      of veillance, including sousveillance (observance from below; e.g.
      everyone's got a camera) and surveillance (what the police see from their
      helicoptors, but also how they track you on your mobile phones),
      uberveillance, and equiveillance. One of the sousveillance aspects is
      augmented (a subset of augmediated) reality which is about to burst on your
      scene when someone gives you a pair of Google glasses for Christmas.

      Unfortunately we had an accident while streaming and recording the Google
      Hangout. I got a phone call and muted my mic to take it, and in so doing I
      stopped the stream. It was another 20 min before Laine came looking for
      the stream and notified me that it had stopped, I realized what had
      happened, and I started recording in Audacity (no obvious way to simply
      resume the stream; that was over and done, and we were just Hanging Out
      unrecorded). So I patched together an mp3 from the YouTube Hangout
      recording and stitched it to the Audacity mp3 and that is available at
      http://learning2gether.posterous.com/veillance-hangout-with-alex-hayes-and-posse

      I'm saddened that we lost much of what was really a great session, but I
      learned a few things. Next time I'll make a backup. Also I'll try and
      figure out what went wrong, maybe this Sunday, and finally, this will be a
      great excuse to have Alex back; always a pleasure to talk with him and
      learn about his projects.

      Speaking of this Sunday, at noon GMT I will visit TappedIn for the last
      time and hang out there and perhaps others might wish to join in. I intend
      to go to Elluminate at the same time (and maybe start a Hangout just to see
      if I can sort what went wrong). Those who wish to join me can pool their
      artifacts from Tapped In and we can find a place to put them online as a
      kind of memorial to a vanished era. More information here:
      http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#Nextupcomingevents

      At that URL please note that Carla Arena will be talking on mobile tech in
      education at 1500 GMT for an IATEFL seminar, so don't miss that.

      Then next week, TESOL CALL-IS will be webcasting from Dallas. Many of
      those events will be in the Webheads Elluminate room and they are all
      listed at Learning2gether.

      The Sunday after TESOL I'll be flying but Sunday March 31 there will be a
      Learning2gether session on badges. More on that later, but the following
      month April I'm counting on your guys to come up with some presentations
      and topics :-)

      enjoy

      --
      Vance Stevens
      http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com

    • Vance
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 17, 2013
        Hi again,

        Theresa and Nina and Michael and I - and David Weksler and Jeff Cooper - met at Tapped In one last time and set up a wiki at http://tappedin2013.pbworks.com/

        You are invited to join and contribute URLs to or upload the artifacts you have managed to save from TappedIn.

        Check back later to see what we've accumulated and help with the display, if you wish.

        Off to Dallas soon, see some of you there,

        > Hi everyone,

        <snip>