Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: congrats to Argentina! :-)

  • Susana Canelo
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 14, 2013
      Thanks Emma for sharing our Happiness .
      Hugs from Argentina

      Enviado desde mi iPad

      El 14/03/2013, a las 13:10, Emma Miliani <emcdef@...> escribió:

      > Congrats to all He is the first pope in 1300 years from outside Europe!
      > Emma Miliani

    • John Hibbs
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 15, 2013
        Dear Webheads: All this spirited talk about the
        new Pope, from Argentina, sparked some VERY
        lovely memory buds. For me, the first ones to
        light up were easy; my memories of the Jesuits
        from Kindergarten to 10th grade, at St
        Catherine's, in Ventura, California. Those
        Jesuits, most especially the Head Master, have
        never left my shoulder. (Especially his comment
        "John, you will get along better here when you
        understand that the Sisters have all the answers
        and the priests have all the questions.)

        But I digress.

        The second memory bud to light up -- perhaps even
        more forcefully than that those from childhood? -
        was that I /honestly/ believe one of the more
        interesting conversations we /ever/ had during
        the Global Learn Day "voyages" was at a "stop" in
        Buenos Aires. There, at the St. Andrews Scots
        School. we "met" with their headmaster, a Jesuit
        from Scotland (hard to imagine a tougher
        combination!) by the name of Gabriel Rshaid. In
        the next hour or so Gabriel led us all of us down
        what my own Jesuit teachers would have called "A
        Socratic Path". Like all good conversations,
        there were many more questions than "answers'" --
        especially regarding some pointed remarks about
        the dangers - of the Internet.

        My take GLD attracted a LOT of tremendously
        thoughtful participants. Gabriel Rshaid was one
        of the best.

        Here are some links about Gabriel.
        http://www.sanandres.esc.edu.ar/

        Last thought. Today's New York Times David Brooks
        had a GREAT article about "Rome" -- and the
        choices ahead for Catholic leadership. David is
        Jewish, but his intellectual landscape truly
        awesome. His piece today is worth savoring.

        NYTimes, March
        How Movements Recover
        March 14, 2013
        <http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/15/opinion/brooks-how-movements-recover.html?n=Top/Opinion/Editorials%20and%20Op-Ed/Op-Ed/Columnists/David%20Brooks>

        John Hibbs
        <skipper@...>

        P.S. I am sending blind copies to Gabriel with
        address that I have stored...and found
        subsequently. If you Google "Gabriel Rshaid" you
        will find him on YouTube, Amazon and as a
        Director ASCD
        http://www.ascd.org/About-ASCD/Governance/Board-of-Directors-Roster/Board-of-Directors-Roster.aspx

        Gabriel: Scroll way down and find links what I
        am up to. Write us. All Webheads would like to
        hear from you; most especially about an Jesuit
        from Argentina, who just got as pretty big job in
        Rome.

        Kind regards to all -- everywhere.

        At 4:52 PM -0300 3/14/13, Maria Bossa wrote:
        >Dear you all! Thanks again for your warm
        >greetings for the new Argentinian Pope. This
        >time I want to share this interesting
        >information since it was mentioned in the mail
        >belowed.
        >I'm from Cordoba province, in the center of
        >Argentina. The Jesuits came to our city 400
        >years ago and founded the 1st University in
        >South America and the whole congregation "La
        >Compañía de Jesus" established here. They did a
        >great job and now, the church and the old
        >university building has been declared a
        >universal belonging by the UNESCO. You can come
        >and visit both places. And even more, you can
        >visit the 7 "estancias" where they lived long
        >time ago. Our province (Cordoba) is very pleased
        >with all this. I warmly invite you to visit
        >Cordoba and the Jesuit buildings. I do hope you
        >can see some of the pics I've attached into this
        >mail. Kind regards,Maria :)
        >Smiles, Maria

        snip snip snip
        --
        John Hibbs
        Director, Benjamin Franklin

        -----------
        Companion Domains
        http://bfranklin.edu

        Global Learn Day 2013
        http://oregonhibbs.com/global-learn-day/

        http://oceanrights.org
        "All that's at stake is the whole human race."

        http://benvoyage.org
        "Emotion Drives The Logic Train"
        GLD Voyages
        http://oregonhibbs.com/global-learn-day/a-voyage-not-a-cruise-not-a-crossing/

        Bucket List -- Gemstones to enlighten the conversation
        http://benvoyage.org/bucket-list-master-list/

        The Future of the Web, in 3D
        http://oregonhibbs.com/2013/03/06/3d-and-the-web/