Re: [evonline2002_webheads] electronic writing portfolios

  • Susana Canelo
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013
      Thanks Chris:
      It looks really friendly , I'm giving a try.
      A hug
      Susana from Argentina

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 8, 2013
        I want to thank Chris, Mary, Dilip, Susana, Maria and Aiden for their ideas. I've begun checking out a few of them. Dilip, your students' portfolios are awesome! Webheads rock! In the meantime, I have been thinking of using Blogger blogs with a page for each assignment or maybe type of assignment and the reflection of what the student has learned about writing in the class as a single post. I tried it out using an old extinct blog of mine by pasting 2 drafts and a final paper into a post. I selected the one assignment that has an image to see how that would work. I had to download and save the image, but then I could easily insert it in the post. You can see my experiment here: http://001rwg2010.blogspot.com/2013/03/process-paragraph-describe-painting.html

        The portfolio should have two or maybe three process writing assignments (assignments with several drafts and maybe some pre-writing) as well as at least one in-class writing. I figure if the in-class writing is handwritten, I can simple scan it. Sometimes they write in the computer lab, so that is easy.

        It will be a challenge to teach my beginners to open a Google account and create a blog, but thankfully there are only 7 in the class so I can help everyone out. I think it can work. And it's free. :-)

        Still it's wonderful to have so many suggestions to try out and explore. Thank you everyone!

        Nina
      • Maria Rosario Di Mónaco
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
          Nina,

          This is brilliant! I have to share this idea with my colleagues. We do
          process writing with all our classes but, so far, it has been limited to a
          teacher/student exchange of drafts. I think using a blog will take it to
          another level.

          We normally agree with each class on a list of symbols that the teacher
          will use to signal errors, which can be posted in the blog for future
          reference.

          Love the idea!

          Mary

          On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 1:10 AM, Nina Liakos <nina.liakos@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I want to thank Chris, Mary, Dilip, Susana, Maria and Aiden for their
          > ideas. I've begun checking out a few of them. Dilip, your students'
          > portfolios are awesome! Webheads rock! In the meantime, I have been
          > thinking of using Blogger blogs with a page for each assignment or maybe
          > type of assignment and the reflection of what the student has learned about
          > writing in the class as a single post. I tried it out using an old extinct
          > blog of mine by pasting 2 drafts and a final paper into a post. I selected
          > the one assignment that has an image to see how that would work. I had to
          > download and save the image, but then I could easily insert it in the post.
          > You can see my experiment here:
          > http://001rwg2010.blogspot.com/2013/03/process-paragraph-describe-painting.html
          >
          > The portfolio should have two or maybe three process writing assignments
          > (assignments with several drafts and maybe some pre-writing) as well as at
          > least one in-class writing. I figure if the in-class writing is
          > handwritten, I can simple scan it. Sometimes they write in the computer
          > lab, so that is easy.
          >
          > It will be a challenge to teach my beginners to open a Google account and
          > create a blog, but thankfully there are only 7 in the class so I can help
          > everyone out. I think it can work. And it's free. :-)
          >
          > Still it's wonderful to have so many suggestions to try out and explore.
          > Thank you everyone!
          >
          > Nina
          >
          > __

        • Dilip Barad
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
            Dear Nina,

            Your experiment on blog is very good. We also do similar sort of experiments
            on enhancing writing skills through blogs.

            http://b4tl.blogspot.in/2009/08/story-writing.html - on this blog you will
            see how story writing is used over blog to generate language and enhance
            writing skills. Please see the comments. In first three comments, you will
            find what students have done in group activity. And, do not miss to see the
            levels of language in all three language. In first comment, you will see
            simple language . . . and the level of language will go on increasing in
            second and third. The second comment makes use of adjective which makes
            language ornamental. The third comment is highest form of language used in
            all three comments. In this third comment, the students were able to create
            environment – a bit of literary use of language. Literature has the highest
            form of language and hence either in writing or reading literature, one
            required highest level of language competency in writing and reading skills.

            Regards,

            <http://www.facebook.com/dilipbarad> Dilip Barad

            <mailto:nina.liakos%40gmail.com> > wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I want to thank Chris, Mary, Dilip, Susana, Maria and Aiden for their
            > ideas. I've begun checking out a few of them. Dilip, your students'
            > portfolios are awesome! Webheads rock! In the meantime, I have been
            > thinking of using Blogger blogs with a page for each assignment or maybe
            > type of assignment and the reflection of what the student has learned
            about
            > writing in the class as a single post. I tried it out using an old extinct
            > blog of mine by pasting 2 drafts and a final paper into a post. I selected
            > the one assignment that has an image to see how that would work. I had to
            > download and save the image, but then I could easily insert it in the
            post.
            > You can see my experiment here:

            http://001rwg2010.blogspot.com/2013/03/process-paragraph-describe-painting.h
            tml

            > The portfolio should have two or maybe three process writing assignments
            > (assignments with several drafts and maybe some pre-writing) as well as at
            > least one in-class writing. I figure if the in-class writing is
            > handwritten, I can simple scan it. Sometimes they write in the computer
            > lab, so that is easy.
            >
            > It will be a challenge to teach my beginners to open a Google account and
            > create a blog, but thankfully there are only 7 in the class so I can help
            > everyone out. I think it can work. And it's free. :-)
            >
            > Still it's wonderful to have so many suggestions to try out and explore.
            > Thank you everyone!
            >
            > Nina
            >
            > __

          • Aiden
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
              Hi All,

              Speaking of writing portfolios using blogs, I'm using blogs in writing poetry. Students write their poems on their blogs- I check and post my suggestions/corrections in the comments area. I'm careful to check only the technical aspects of the language so as to retain students' creative voice.

              Anyone doing poetry this spring? We can do a poetry reading online or poetry exchange work. Let me know if you're interested in creating something wonderful with my class. I've got 3 students from Indonesia and the rest are Taiwanese students- 16 in all.

              Aiden
              Aiden Yeh, PhD
              Assistant Professor
              Wenzao Ursuline College of Languages
              Twitter: motherchina
              Skype: aidenyeh
              Viber, Line, Tango: +886938392852

              Sent from my iPhone

            • Nina Liakos
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 10, 2013
                Thanks Mary and Dilip for your feedback. Dilip, great use of a blog for story-telling! It's really amazing how the level of language changes.
                Nina

                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Dilip Barad" <dilipbarad@...> wrote:

                > Dear Nina,

                > http://b4tl.blogspot.in/2009/08/story-writing.html - on this blog you will
                > see how story writing is used over blog to generate language and enhance
                > writing skills. Please see the comments. In first three comments, you will
                > find what students have done in group activity. And, do not miss to see the
                > levels of language in all three language. In first comment, you will see
                > simple language . . . and the level of language will go on increasing in
                > second and third. The second comment makes use of adjective which makes
                > language ornamental. The third comment is highest form of language used in
                > all three comments. In this third comment, the students were able to create
                > environment – a bit of literary use of language. Literature has the highest
                > form of language and hence either in writing or reading literature, one
                > required highest level of language competency in writing and reading skills.
                >
                > Regards,
                Dilip Barad

              • Carla arena
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 10, 2013
                  Nina, have you considered wikispaces with folders for each assignment with
                  different student pages for their drafts?
                  I think it is an effective tool for your e-portfolio and teacher and
                  students can keep track of progress through the wiki history pages.

                  Carla