RE: [evonline2002_webheads] electronic writing portfolios

  • Dilip Barad
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013
      Dear Nina,

      For ePortfolios, we use Google Sites. Our students use YouTube, SlideShare,
      Google Docs and Google Sites for their ePortfolios. They share their
      ePortfolios on Google Plus
      <https://plus.google.com/communities/100735896187514802792> Community of
      our Department.

      Some of the sample ePortfolios can be accessed here:

      1. Bhagirath <https://sites.google.com/site/bhagirath131313/> Khuman

      2. Parth <https://sites.google.com/site/parthbhatteportfolio/> Bhatt

      3. Ankita Vadher
      <https://sites.google.com/site/ankitavadhereportfolio/home>

      4. Hetal <https://sites.google.com/site/gohilhetalba88/home> Gohil

      5. Komal <https://sites.google.com/site/bhalanikomaleportfolio/>
      Bhalani

      Regards,

      <http://www.facebook.com/dilipbarad> Dilip Barad, Ph.D.

      Professor & Head,

      <http://www.facebook.com/eng.dept.bu> Dept. of English, Maharaja
      Krishnakumarsinhji Bhavnagar University,

      Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Campus,

      Bhavnagar - 364001. (Gujarat - India)

      www.dilipbarad.com

      09427733691/09898272313

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013
        Thanks Chris:
        It looks really friendly , I'm giving a try.
        A hug
        Susana from Argentina

        ________________________________

        My students have to create a writing portfolio at the end of the semester.
        The portfolio will contain a reflection on what the student has learned
        about writing, several examples of process writing assignments and some
        in-class writing.

        I have been having writing turned in to me electronically and would hate to
        have to print out all that stuff in the interest of saving trees. Does
        anyone have a suggestion for collecting the writings in an ePortfolio? The
        originals docs are done in Word and I would like to preserve the formatting.

        Any ideas would be appreciated.

        Thanks,

        Nina (home today for a last-gasp-of-winter snow day!)

      • Nina Liakos
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 8, 2013
          I want to thank Chris, Mary, Dilip, Susana, Maria and Aiden for their ideas. I've begun checking out a few of them. Dilip, your students' portfolios are awesome! Webheads rock! In the meantime, I have been thinking of using Blogger blogs with a page for each assignment or maybe type of assignment and the reflection of what the student has learned about writing in the class as a single post. I tried it out using an old extinct blog of mine by pasting 2 drafts and a final paper into a post. I selected the one assignment that has an image to see how that would work. I had to download and save the image, but then I could easily insert it in the post. You can see my experiment here: http://001rwg2010.blogspot.com/2013/03/process-paragraph-describe-painting.html

          The portfolio should have two or maybe three process writing assignments (assignments with several drafts and maybe some pre-writing) as well as at least one in-class writing. I figure if the in-class writing is handwritten, I can simple scan it. Sometimes they write in the computer lab, so that is easy.

          It will be a challenge to teach my beginners to open a Google account and create a blog, but thankfully there are only 7 in the class so I can help everyone out. I think it can work. And it's free. :-)

          Still it's wonderful to have so many suggestions to try out and explore. Thank you everyone!

          Nina
        • Maria Rosario Di Mónaco
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
            Nina,

            This is brilliant! I have to share this idea with my colleagues. We do
            process writing with all our classes but, so far, it has been limited to a
            teacher/student exchange of drafts. I think using a blog will take it to
            another level.

            We normally agree with each class on a list of symbols that the teacher
            will use to signal errors, which can be posted in the blog for future
            reference.

            Love the idea!

            Mary

            On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 1:10 AM, Nina Liakos <nina.liakos@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I want to thank Chris, Mary, Dilip, Susana, Maria and Aiden for their
            > ideas. I've begun checking out a few of them. Dilip, your students'
            > portfolios are awesome! Webheads rock! In the meantime, I have been
            > thinking of using Blogger blogs with a page for each assignment or maybe
            > type of assignment and the reflection of what the student has learned about
            > writing in the class as a single post. I tried it out using an old extinct
            > blog of mine by pasting 2 drafts and a final paper into a post. I selected
            > the one assignment that has an image to see how that would work. I had to
            > download and save the image, but then I could easily insert it in the post.
            > You can see my experiment here:
            > http://001rwg2010.blogspot.com/2013/03/process-paragraph-describe-painting.html
            >
            > The portfolio should have two or maybe three process writing assignments
            > (assignments with several drafts and maybe some pre-writing) as well as at
            > least one in-class writing. I figure if the in-class writing is
            > handwritten, I can simple scan it. Sometimes they write in the computer
            > lab, so that is easy.
            >
            > It will be a challenge to teach my beginners to open a Google account and
            > create a blog, but thankfully there are only 7 in the class so I can help
            > everyone out. I think it can work. And it's free. :-)
            >
            > Still it's wonderful to have so many suggestions to try out and explore.
            > Thank you everyone!
            >
            > Nina
            >
            > __

          • Dilip Barad
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
              Dear Nina,

              Your experiment on blog is very good. We also do similar sort of experiments
              on enhancing writing skills through blogs.

              http://b4tl.blogspot.in/2009/08/story-writing.html - on this blog you will
              see how story writing is used over blog to generate language and enhance
              writing skills. Please see the comments. In first three comments, you will
              find what students have done in group activity. And, do not miss to see the
              levels of language in all three language. In first comment, you will see
              simple language . . . and the level of language will go on increasing in
              second and third. The second comment makes use of adjective which makes
              language ornamental. The third comment is highest form of language used in
              all three comments. In this third comment, the students were able to create
              environment – a bit of literary use of language. Literature has the highest
              form of language and hence either in writing or reading literature, one
              required highest level of language competency in writing and reading skills.

              <mailto:nina.liakos%40gmail.com> > wrote:

              > **
              >

              > I want to thank Chris, Mary, Dilip, Susana, Maria and Aiden for their
              > ideas. I've begun checking out a few of them. Dilip, your students'
              > portfolios are awesome! Webheads rock! In the meantime, I have been
              > thinking of using Blogger blogs with a page for each assignment or maybe
              > type of assignment and the reflection of what the student has learned
              about
              > writing in the class as a single post. I tried it out using an old extinct
              > blog of mine by pasting 2 drafts and a final paper into a post. I selected
              > the one assignment that has an image to see how that would work. I had to
              > download and save the image, but then I could easily insert it in the
              post.
              > You can see my experiment here:

              http://001rwg2010.blogspot.com/2013/03/process-paragraph-describe-painting.h
              tml

              > The portfolio should have two or maybe three process writing assignments
              > (assignments with several drafts and maybe some pre-writing) as well as at
              > least one in-class writing. I figure if the in-class writing is
              > handwritten, I can simple scan it. Sometimes they write in the computer
              > lab, so that is easy.
              >
              > It will be a challenge to teach my beginners to open a Google account and
              > create a blog, but thankfully there are only 7 in the class so I can help
              > everyone out. I think it can work. And it's free. :-)
              >
              > Still it's wonderful to have so many suggestions to try out and explore.
              > Thank you everyone!
              >
              > Nina
              >
              > __

            • Aiden
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
                Hi All,

                Speaking of writing portfolios using blogs, I'm using blogs in writing poetry. Students write their poems on their blogs- I check and post my suggestions/corrections in the comments area. I'm careful to check only the technical aspects of the language so as to retain students' creative voice.

                Anyone doing poetry this spring? We can do a poetry reading online or poetry exchange work. Let me know if you're interested in creating something wonderful with my class. I've got 3 students from Indonesia and the rest are Taiwanese students- 16 in all.

                Aiden
                Aiden Yeh, PhD
                Assistant Professor
                Wenzao Ursuline College of Languages
                Twitter: motherchina
                Skype: aidenyeh
                Viber, Line, Tango: +886938392852

                Sent from my iPhone

              • Nina Liakos
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 10, 2013
                  Thanks Mary and Dilip for your feedback. Dilip, great use of a blog for story-telling! It's really amazing how the level of language changes.
                  Nina

                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Dilip Barad" <dilipbarad@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Nina,

                  > http://b4tl.blogspot.in/2009/08/story-writing.html - on this blog you will
                  > see how story writing is used over blog to generate language and enhance
                  > writing skills. Please see the comments. In first three comments, you will
                  > find what students have done in group activity. And, do not miss to see the
                  > levels of language in all three language. In first comment, you will see
                  > simple language . . . and the level of language will go on increasing in
                  > second and third. The second comment makes use of adjective which makes
                  > language ornamental. The third comment is highest form of language used in
                  > all three comments. In this third comment, the students were able to create
                  > environment – a bit of literary use of language. Literature has the highest
                  > form of language and hence either in writing or reading literature, one
                  > required highest level of language competency in writing and reading skills.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  Dilip Barad

                • Carla arena
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 10, 2013
                    Nina, have you considered wikispaces with folders for each assignment with
                    different student pages for their drafts?
                    I think it is an effective tool for your e-portfolio and teacher and
                    students can keep track of progress through the wiki history pages.

                    Carla