Re: [evonline2002_webheads] electronic writing portfolios

  • Aiden
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 7 6:25 AM
      Nina,

      You can put all the documents in one word file- then save as PDF.

      This is the simplest solution I could think of.

      Aiden

      Aiden Yeh
      Twitter: motherchina
      Skype: aidenyeh
      Viber, Line, Tango: +886938392852

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 2013/3/7, at 0:11, "Nina Liakos" <nina.liakos@...> wrote:

      > Hi webheads,
      >
      > My students have to create a writing portfolio at the end of the semester. The portfolio will contain a reflection on what the student has learned about writing, several examples of process writing assignments and some in-class writing.
      >
      > I have been having writing turned in to me electronically and would hate to have to print out all that stuff in the interest of saving trees. Does anyone have a suggestion for collecting the writings in an ePortfolio? The originals docs are done in Word and I would like to preserve the formatting.
      >
      > Any ideas would be appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Nina (home today for a last-gasp-of-winter snow day!)

    • Maria Rosario Di Mónaco
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 7 7:07 AM
        Hi Nina,

        If you want to preserve formatting, then I guess Google docs is out of the
        question. I have used Dropbox, but with them the problem is that the free
        storage limit is not so high. I tried the one suggested by Chris,
        pathbrite, and it looks cool.

        Cheers,
        Mary

        On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM, Chris Fry <chrisfry@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi Nina,
        >
        > I have just discovered Pathbrite https://pathbrite.com , which looks
        > great -
        > it is designed for eportfolios. I was able to set up a free account and try
        > out uploading various types of audio files there. It looks well worth
        > looking at although as I only discovered in on Monday I'm not an expert.
        > They also offer a very quick response on questions to support.
        >
        > Chris
        >
        > _____

      • Dilip Barad
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 7 7:28 AM
          Dear Nina,

          For ePortfolios, we use Google Sites. Our students use YouTube, SlideShare,
          Google Docs and Google Sites for their ePortfolios. They share their
          ePortfolios on Google Plus
          <https://plus.google.com/communities/100735896187514802792> Community of
          our Department.

          Some of the sample ePortfolios can be accessed here:

          1. Bhagirath <https://sites.google.com/site/bhagirath131313/> Khuman

          2. Parth <https://sites.google.com/site/parthbhatteportfolio/> Bhatt

          3. Ankita Vadher
          <https://sites.google.com/site/ankitavadhereportfolio/home>

          4. Hetal <https://sites.google.com/site/gohilhetalba88/home> Gohil

          5. Komal <https://sites.google.com/site/bhalanikomaleportfolio/>
          Bhalani

          Regards,

          <http://www.facebook.com/dilipbarad> Dilip Barad, Ph.D.

          Professor & Head,

          <http://www.facebook.com/eng.dept.bu> Dept. of English, Maharaja
          Krishnakumarsinhji Bhavnagar University,

          Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Campus,

          Bhavnagar - 364001. (Gujarat - India)

          www.dilipbarad.com

          09427733691/09898272313

          <mailto:chrisfry%40pangea.org> > wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hi Nina,
          >
          > I have just discovered Pathbrite https://pathbrite.com , which looks
          > great -
          > it is designed for eportfolios. I was able to set up a free account and
          try
          > out uploading various types of audio files there. It looks well worth
          > looking at although as I only discovered in on Monday I'm not an expert.
          > They also offer a very quick response on questions to support.
          >
          > Chris
          >
          > _____
          >
          > From: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: [evonline2002_webheads] electronic writing portfolios
          >

          > Hi webheads,
          >
          > My students have to create a writing portfolio at the end of the semester.
          > The portfolio will contain a reflection on what the student has learned
          > about writing, several examples of process writing assignments and some
          > in-class writing.
          >
          > I have been having writing turned in to me electronically and would hate
          > have to print out all that stuff in the interest of saving trees. Does
          > anyone have a suggestion for collecting the writings in an ePortfolio? The
          > originals docs are done in Word and I would like to preserve the
          > formatting.
          >
          > Any ideas would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Nina (home today for a last-gasp-of-winter snow day!)

        • Susana Canelo
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 7 5:35 PM
            Thanks Chris:
            It looks really friendly , I'm giving a try.
            A hug
            Susana from Argentina

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 8 8:10 PM
              I want to thank Chris, Mary, Dilip, Susana, Maria and Aiden for their ideas. I've begun checking out a few of them. Dilip, your students' portfolios are awesome! Webheads rock! In the meantime, I have been thinking of using Blogger blogs with a page for each assignment or maybe type of assignment and the reflection of what the student has learned about writing in the class as a single post. I tried it out using an old extinct blog of mine by pasting 2 drafts and a final paper into a post. I selected the one assignment that has an image to see how that would work. I had to download and save the image, but then I could easily insert it in the post. You can see my experiment here: http://001rwg2010.blogspot.com/2013/03/process-paragraph-describe-painting.html

              The portfolio should have two or maybe three process writing assignments (assignments with several drafts and maybe some pre-writing) as well as at least one in-class writing. I figure if the in-class writing is handwritten, I can simple scan it. Sometimes they write in the computer lab, so that is easy.

              It will be a challenge to teach my beginners to open a Google account and create a blog, but thankfully there are only 7 in the class so I can help everyone out. I think it can work. And it's free. :-)

              Still it's wonderful to have so many suggestions to try out and explore. Thank you everyone!

              Nina
            • Maria Rosario Di Mónaco
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 9 4:57 AM
                Nina,

                This is brilliant! I have to share this idea with my colleagues. We do
                process writing with all our classes but, so far, it has been limited to a
                teacher/student exchange of drafts. I think using a blog will take it to
                another level.

                We normally agree with each class on a list of symbols that the teacher
                will use to signal errors, which can be posted in the blog for future
                reference.

                Love the idea!

                Mary

                On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 1:10 AM, Nina Liakos <nina.liakos@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I want to thank Chris, Mary, Dilip, Susana, Maria and Aiden for their
                > ideas. I've begun checking out a few of them. Dilip, your students'
                > portfolios are awesome! Webheads rock! In the meantime, I have been
                > thinking of using Blogger blogs with a page for each assignment or maybe
                > type of assignment and the reflection of what the student has learned about
                > writing in the class as a single post. I tried it out using an old extinct
                > blog of mine by pasting 2 drafts and a final paper into a post. I selected
                > the one assignment that has an image to see how that would work. I had to
                > download and save the image, but then I could easily insert it in the post.
                > You can see my experiment here:
                > http://001rwg2010.blogspot.com/2013/03/process-paragraph-describe-painting.html
                >
                > The portfolio should have two or maybe three process writing assignments
                > (assignments with several drafts and maybe some pre-writing) as well as at
                > least one in-class writing. I figure if the in-class writing is
                > handwritten, I can simple scan it. Sometimes they write in the computer
                > lab, so that is easy.
                >
                > It will be a challenge to teach my beginners to open a Google account and
                > create a blog, but thankfully there are only 7 in the class so I can help
                > everyone out. I think it can work. And it's free. :-)
                >
                > Still it's wonderful to have so many suggestions to try out and explore.
                > Thank you everyone!
                >
                > Nina
                >
                > __

              • Dilip Barad
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 9 5:22 AM
                  Dear Nina,

                  Your experiment on blog is very good. We also do similar sort of experiments
                  on enhancing writing skills through blogs.

                  http://b4tl.blogspot.in/2009/08/story-writing.html - on this blog you will
                  see how story writing is used over blog to generate language and enhance
                  writing skills. Please see the comments. In first three comments, you will
                  find what students have done in group activity. And, do not miss to see the
                  levels of language in all three language. In first comment, you will see
                  simple language . . . and the level of language will go on increasing in
                  second and third. The second comment makes use of adjective which makes
                  language ornamental. The third comment is highest form of language used in
                  all three comments. In this third comment, the students were able to create
                  environment – a bit of literary use of language. Literature has the highest
                  form of language and hence either in writing or reading literature, one
                  required highest level of language competency in writing and reading skills.

                  <mailto:nina.liakos%40gmail.com> > wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > I want to thank Chris, Mary, Dilip, Susana, Maria and Aiden for their
                  > ideas. I've begun checking out a few of them. Dilip, your students'
                  > portfolios are awesome! Webheads rock! In the meantime, I have been
                  > thinking of using Blogger blogs with a page for each assignment or maybe
                  > type of assignment and the reflection of what the student has learned
                  about
                  > writing in the class as a single post. I tried it out using an old extinct
                  > blog of mine by pasting 2 drafts and a final paper into a post. I selected
                  > the one assignment that has an image to see how that would work. I had to
                  > download and save the image, but then I could easily insert it in the
                  post.
                  > You can see my experiment here:

                  http://001rwg2010.blogspot.com/2013/03/process-paragraph-describe-painting.h
                  tml

                  > The portfolio should have two or maybe three process writing assignments
                  > (assignments with several drafts and maybe some pre-writing) as well as at
                  > least one in-class writing. I figure if the in-class writing is
                  > handwritten, I can simple scan it. Sometimes they write in the computer
                  > lab, so that is easy.
                  >
                  > It will be a challenge to teach my beginners to open a Google account and
                  > create a blog, but thankfully there are only 7 in the class so I can help
                  > everyone out. I think it can work. And it's free. :-)
                  >
                  > Still it's wonderful to have so many suggestions to try out and explore.
                  > Thank you everyone!
                  >
                  > Nina
                  >
                  > __

                • Aiden
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 9 5:52 AM
                    Hi All,

                    Speaking of writing portfolios using blogs, I'm using blogs in writing poetry. Students write their poems on their blogs- I check and post my suggestions/corrections in the comments area. I'm careful to check only the technical aspects of the language so as to retain students' creative voice.

                    Anyone doing poetry this spring? We can do a poetry reading online or poetry exchange work. Let me know if you're interested in creating something wonderful with my class. I've got 3 students from Indonesia and the rest are Taiwanese students- 16 in all.

                    Aiden
                    Aiden Yeh, PhD
                    Assistant Professor
                    Wenzao Ursuline College of Languages

                    On 2013/3/9, at 21:22, "Dilip Barad" <dilipbarad@...> wrote:

                    > Dear Nina,
                    >
                    > Your experiment on blog is very good. We also do similar sort of experiments
                    > on enhancing writing skills through blogs.
                    >
                    > http://b4tl.blogspot.in/2009/08/story-writing.html - on this blog you will
                    > see how story writing is used over blog to generate language and enhance
                    > writing skills. Please see the comments. In first three comments, you will
                    > find what students have done in group activity. And, do not miss to see the
                    > levels of language in all three language. In first comment, you will see
                    > simple language . . . and the level of language will go on increasing in
                    > second and third. The second comment makes use of adjective which makes
                    > language ornamental. The third comment is highest form of language used in
                    > all three comments. In this third comment, the students were able to create
                    > environment – a bit of literary use of language. Literature has the highest
                    > form of language and hence either in writing or reading literature, one
                    > required highest level of language competency in writing and reading skills.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > <http://www.facebook.com/dilipbarad> Dilip Barad

                  • Nina Liakos
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 10 6:46 AM
                      Thanks Mary and Dilip for your feedback. Dilip, great use of a blog for story-telling! It's really amazing how the level of language changes.
                      Nina

                      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Dilip Barad" <dilipbarad@...> wrote:

                      > Dear Nina,

                      > http://b4tl.blogspot.in/2009/08/story-writing.html - on this blog you will
                      > see how story writing is used over blog to generate language and enhance
                      > writing skills. Please see the comments. In first three comments, you will
                      > find what students have done in group activity. And, do not miss to see the
                      > levels of language in all three language. In first comment, you will see
                      > simple language . . . and the level of language will go on increasing in
                      > second and third. The second comment makes use of adjective which makes
                      > language ornamental. The third comment is highest form of language used in
                      > all three comments. In this third comment, the students were able to create
                      > environment – a bit of literary use of language. Literature has the highest
                      > form of language and hence either in writing or reading literature, one
                      > required highest level of language competency in writing and reading skills.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      Dilip Barad

                    • Carla arena
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 10 2:10 PM
                        Nina, have you considered wikispaces with folders for each assignment with
                        different student pages for their drafts?
                        I think it is an effective tool for your e-portfolio and teacher and
                        students can keep track of progress through the wiki history pages.

                        Carla