RE: [evonline2002_webheads] electronic writing portfolios

  • Chris Fry
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 6, 2013
      Hi Nina,

      I have just discovered Pathbrite https://pathbrite.com , which looks great -
      it is designed for eportfolios. I was able to set up a free account and try
      out uploading various types of audio files there. It looks well worth
      looking at although as I only discovered in on Monday I'm not an expert.
      They also offer a very quick response on questions to support.

      Chris

      _____

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013
        HI Nina,
        You may try Calibre, it's kind of a library where you store books starting with Word documents which you save in rtf format.
        I hope this helps,

        María Irene Albers de Urriola
        Departamento de Idiomas Modernos
        Facultad de Ciencias de la Educación
        Universidad de Carabobo

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013
          Nina,

          You can put all the documents in one word file- then save as PDF.

          This is the simplest solution I could think of.

          Aiden

          Aiden Yeh
          Twitter: motherchina
          Skype: aidenyeh
          Viber, Line, Tango: +886938392852

          Sent from my iPhone

          On 2013/3/7, at 0:11, "Nina Liakos" <nina.liakos@...> wrote:

          > Hi webheads,
          >
          > My students have to create a writing portfolio at the end of the semester. The portfolio will contain a reflection on what the student has learned about writing, several examples of process writing assignments and some in-class writing.
          >
          > I have been having writing turned in to me electronically and would hate to have to print out all that stuff in the interest of saving trees. Does anyone have a suggestion for collecting the writings in an ePortfolio? The originals docs are done in Word and I would like to preserve the formatting.
          >
          > Any ideas would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Nina (home today for a last-gasp-of-winter snow day!)

        • Maria Rosario Di Mónaco
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013
            Hi Nina,

            If you want to preserve formatting, then I guess Google docs is out of the
            question. I have used Dropbox, but with them the problem is that the free
            storage limit is not so high. I tried the one suggested by Chris,
            pathbrite, and it looks cool.

            Cheers,
            Mary

            On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM, Chris Fry <chrisfry@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi Nina,
            >
            > I have just discovered Pathbrite https://pathbrite.com , which looks
            > great -
            > it is designed for eportfolios. I was able to set up a free account and try
            > out uploading various types of audio files there. It looks well worth
            > looking at although as I only discovered in on Monday I'm not an expert.
            > They also offer a very quick response on questions to support.
            >
            > Chris
            >
            > _____

          • Dilip Barad
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013
              Dear Nina,

              For ePortfolios, we use Google Sites. Our students use YouTube, SlideShare,
              Google Docs and Google Sites for their ePortfolios. They share their
              ePortfolios on Google Plus
              <https://plus.google.com/communities/100735896187514802792> Community of
              our Department.

              Some of the sample ePortfolios can be accessed here:

              1. Bhagirath <https://sites.google.com/site/bhagirath131313/> Khuman

              2. Parth <https://sites.google.com/site/parthbhatteportfolio/> Bhatt

              3. Ankita Vadher
              <https://sites.google.com/site/ankitavadhereportfolio/home>

              4. Hetal <https://sites.google.com/site/gohilhetalba88/home> Gohil

              5. Komal <https://sites.google.com/site/bhalanikomaleportfolio/>
              Bhalani

              Regards,

              <http://www.facebook.com/dilipbarad> Dilip Barad, Ph.D.

              Professor & Head,

              <http://www.facebook.com/eng.dept.bu> Dept. of English, Maharaja
              Krishnakumarsinhji Bhavnagar University,

              Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Campus,

              Bhavnagar - 364001. (Gujarat - India)

              www.dilipbarad.com

              09427733691/09898272313

              <mailto:chrisfry%40pangea.org> > wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hi Nina,
              >
              > I have just discovered Pathbrite https://pathbrite.com , which looks
              > great -
              > it is designed for eportfolios. I was able to set up a free account and
              try
              > out uploading various types of audio files there. It looks well worth
              > looking at although as I only discovered in on Monday I'm not an expert.
              > They also offer a very quick response on questions to support.
              >
              > Chris
              >
              > _____
              >
              > From: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: [evonline2002_webheads] electronic writing portfolios
              >

              > Hi webheads,
              >
              > My students have to create a writing portfolio at the end of the semester.
              > The portfolio will contain a reflection on what the student has learned
              > about writing, several examples of process writing assignments and some
              > in-class writing.
              >
              > I have been having writing turned in to me electronically and would hate
              > have to print out all that stuff in the interest of saving trees. Does
              > anyone have a suggestion for collecting the writings in an ePortfolio? The
              > originals docs are done in Word and I would like to preserve the
              > formatting.
              >
              > Any ideas would be appreciated.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Nina (home today for a last-gasp-of-winter snow day!)

            • Susana Canelo
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013
                Thanks Chris:
                It looks really friendly , I'm giving a try.
                A hug
                Susana from Argentina

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 8, 2013
                  I want to thank Chris, Mary, Dilip, Susana, Maria and Aiden for their ideas. I've begun checking out a few of them. Dilip, your students' portfolios are awesome! Webheads rock! In the meantime, I have been thinking of using Blogger blogs with a page for each assignment or maybe type of assignment and the reflection of what the student has learned about writing in the class as a single post. I tried it out using an old extinct blog of mine by pasting 2 drafts and a final paper into a post. I selected the one assignment that has an image to see how that would work. I had to download and save the image, but then I could easily insert it in the post. You can see my experiment here: http://001rwg2010.blogspot.com/2013/03/process-paragraph-describe-painting.html

                  The portfolio should have two or maybe three process writing assignments (assignments with several drafts and maybe some pre-writing) as well as at least one in-class writing. I figure if the in-class writing is handwritten, I can simple scan it. Sometimes they write in the computer lab, so that is easy.

                  It will be a challenge to teach my beginners to open a Google account and create a blog, but thankfully there are only 7 in the class so I can help everyone out. I think it can work. And it's free. :-)

                  Still it's wonderful to have so many suggestions to try out and explore. Thank you everyone!

                  Nina
                • Maria Rosario Di Mónaco
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
                    Nina,

                    This is brilliant! I have to share this idea with my colleagues. We do
                    process writing with all our classes but, so far, it has been limited to a
                    teacher/student exchange of drafts. I think using a blog will take it to
                    another level.

                    We normally agree with each class on a list of symbols that the teacher
                    will use to signal errors, which can be posted in the blog for future
                    reference.

                    Love the idea!

                    Mary

                    On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 1:10 AM, Nina Liakos <nina.liakos@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > I want to thank Chris, Mary, Dilip, Susana, Maria and Aiden for their
                    > ideas. I've begun checking out a few of them. Dilip, your students'
                    > portfolios are awesome! Webheads rock! In the meantime, I have been
                    > thinking of using Blogger blogs with a page for each assignment or maybe
                    > type of assignment and the reflection of what the student has learned about
                    > writing in the class as a single post. I tried it out using an old extinct
                    > blog of mine by pasting 2 drafts and a final paper into a post. I selected
                    > the one assignment that has an image to see how that would work. I had to
                    > download and save the image, but then I could easily insert it in the post.
                    > You can see my experiment here:
                    > http://001rwg2010.blogspot.com/2013/03/process-paragraph-describe-painting.html
                    >
                    > The portfolio should have two or maybe three process writing assignments
                    > (assignments with several drafts and maybe some pre-writing) as well as at
                    > least one in-class writing. I figure if the in-class writing is
                    > handwritten, I can simple scan it. Sometimes they write in the computer
                    > lab, so that is easy.
                    >
                    > It will be a challenge to teach my beginners to open a Google account and
                    > create a blog, but thankfully there are only 7 in the class so I can help
                    > everyone out. I think it can work. And it's free. :-)
                    >
                    > Still it's wonderful to have so many suggestions to try out and explore.
                    > Thank you everyone!
                    >
                    > Nina
                    >
                    > __

                  • Dilip Barad
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
                      Dear Nina,

                      Your experiment on blog is very good. We also do similar sort of experiments
                      on enhancing writing skills through blogs.

                      http://b4tl.blogspot.in/2009/08/story-writing.html - on this blog you will
                      see how story writing is used over blog to generate language and enhance
                      writing skills. Please see the comments. In first three comments, you will
                      find what students have done in group activity. And, do not miss to see the
                      levels of language in all three language. In first comment, you will see
                      simple language . . . and the level of language will go on increasing in
                      second and third. The second comment makes use of adjective which makes
                      language ornamental. The third comment is highest form of language used in
                      all three comments. In this third comment, the students were able to create
                      environment – a bit of literary use of language. Literature has the highest
                      form of language and hence either in writing or reading literature, one
                      required highest level of language competency in writing and reading skills.

                      <mailto:nina.liakos%40gmail.com> > wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > I want to thank Chris, Mary, Dilip, Susana, Maria and Aiden for their
                      > ideas. I've begun checking out a few of them. Dilip, your students'
                      > portfolios are awesome! Webheads rock! In the meantime, I have been
                      > thinking of using Blogger blogs with a page for each assignment or maybe
                      > type of assignment and the reflection of what the student has learned
                      about
                      > writing in the class as a single post. I tried it out using an old extinct
                      > blog of mine by pasting 2 drafts and a final paper into a post. I selected
                      > the one assignment that has an image to see how that would work. I had to
                      > download and save the image, but then I could easily insert it in the
                      post.
                      > You can see my experiment here:

                      http://001rwg2010.blogspot.com/2013/03/process-paragraph-describe-painting.h
                      tml

                      > The portfolio should have two or maybe three process writing assignments
                      > (assignments with several drafts and maybe some pre-writing) as well as at
                      > least one in-class writing. I figure if the in-class writing is
                      > handwritten, I can simple scan it. Sometimes they write in the computer
                      > lab, so that is easy.
                      >
                      > It will be a challenge to teach my beginners to open a Google account and
                      > create a blog, but thankfully there are only 7 in the class so I can help
                      > everyone out. I think it can work. And it's free. :-)
                      >
                      > Still it's wonderful to have so many suggestions to try out and explore.
                      > Thank you everyone!
                      >
                      > Nina
                      >
                      > __

                    • Aiden
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
                        Hi All,

                        Speaking of writing portfolios using blogs, I'm using blogs in writing poetry. Students write their poems on their blogs- I check and post my suggestions/corrections in the comments area. I'm careful to check only the technical aspects of the language so as to retain students' creative voice.

                        Anyone doing poetry this spring? We can do a poetry reading online or poetry exchange work. Let me know if you're interested in creating something wonderful with my class. I've got 3 students from Indonesia and the rest are Taiwanese students- 16 in all.

                        Aiden
                        Aiden Yeh, PhD
                        Assistant Professor
                        Wenzao Ursuline College of Languages

                        On 2013/3/9, at 21:22, "Dilip Barad" <dilipbarad@...> wrote:

                        > Dear Nina,
                        >
                        > Your experiment on blog is very good. We also do similar sort of experiments
                        > on enhancing writing skills through blogs.
                        >
                        > http://b4tl.blogspot.in/2009/08/story-writing.html - on this blog you will
                        > see how story writing is used over blog to generate language and enhance
                        > writing skills. Please see the comments. In first three comments, you will
                        > find what students have done in group activity. And, do not miss to see the
                        > levels of language in all three language. In first comment, you will see
                        > simple language . . . and the level of language will go on increasing in
                        > second and third. The second comment makes use of adjective which makes
                        > language ornamental. The third comment is highest form of language used in
                        > all three comments. In this third comment, the students were able to create
                        > environment – a bit of literary use of language. Literature has the highest
                        > form of language and hence either in writing or reading literature, one
                        > required highest level of language competency in writing and reading skills.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        >
                        > <http://www.facebook.com/dilipbarad> Dilip Barad

                      • Nina Liakos
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 10, 2013
                          Thanks Mary and Dilip for your feedback. Dilip, great use of a blog for story-telling! It's really amazing how the level of language changes.
                          Nina

                          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Dilip Barad" <dilipbarad@...> wrote:

                          > Dear Nina,

                          > http://b4tl.blogspot.in/2009/08/story-writing.html - on this blog you will
                          > see how story writing is used over blog to generate language and enhance
                          > writing skills. Please see the comments. In first three comments, you will
                          > find what students have done in group activity. And, do not miss to see the
                          > levels of language in all three language. In first comment, you will see
                          > simple language . . . and the level of language will go on increasing in
                          > second and third. The second comment makes use of adjective which makes
                          > language ornamental. The third comment is highest form of language used in
                          > all three comments. In this third comment, the students were able to create
                          > environment – a bit of literary use of language. Literature has the highest
                          > form of language and hence either in writing or reading literature, one
                          > required highest level of language competency in writing and reading skills.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          Dilip Barad

                        • Carla arena
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 10, 2013
                            Nina, have you considered wikispaces with folders for each assignment with
                            different student pages for their drafts?
                            I think it is an effective tool for your e-portfolio and teacher and
                            students can keep track of progress through the wiki history pages.

                            Carla