Migrating Posterous blogs to WordPress

  • Nina Liakos
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6 2:44 PM
      Hello all,

      Home today because of snow (although we got nowhere near what was forecast)
      and profited by trying to migrate my posterous blogs over to WordPress. As
      most of them are temporary blogs set up to chronicle my participation in
      EVO or WiAOC, I decided that one WordPress blog for all of them would
      suffice. I tried to follow the directions, but the blog, although created,
      as no posts (despite WordPress' assurance that "content import...was
      successful." What content???

      The instructions specified uploading an xml file that was in the exprt
      folder from Posterous. I couldn't figure out how to save that file. When I
      clicked on it it opened in IE as some kind of html stuff I cannot read. So
      I uploaded the entire export folder, which probably explains my predicamtn.
      Has anyone been successful at this so far? Can you help me?

      Nina

    • Chris Fry
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6 3:59 PM
        Hi Nina,

        I'm trying to migrate my posterous site to Tumblr using Justmigrate
        http://justmigrate.com/ . I say trying as I haven't managed it yet, but my
        sites are all full of audio and that is a problem. They also have very good
        support and I have high hopes of getting the job done for $10.

        I also tried https://www.import2.com , who offered a free 10 post trial.
        They couldn't do the audio so I told them I wasn't interested, but they have
        got back to me saying they might be able to do something. They are not free.
        $12 a blog

        Right now, I'm banking on justmigrate as they will do it free for up to 100
        posts and that will suit my students.

        There is another way that I am waiting on edublogs
        http://edublogs.org/2013/02/19/migrating-your-posterous-site-to-edublogs/
        but they are still working on the audio problem.

        https://posthaven.com/ promises to be what posterous wanted to by for $5 a
        month:
        For now, you can reserve your preferred hostname for $5, and that $5 will go
        towards your first month of Posthaven service.
        "Current Status as of March 1
        The importer is in testing with the earliest preview users at the moment,
        and we're currently fixing bugs on that, scaling our backend, and working on
        blog posting and editing."

        Good luck with whatever you try.

        Chris

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7 4:42 AM
          Hi,

          I haven't done this yet myself (waiting for a snow day in Abu Dhabi) but
          Durff tweeted me this:
          http://pause2play.org/2013/02/18/posterous-move-to-wordpress-com/

          Good luck, and document how you fix it (and how to avoid it)

          Vance

          Vance Stevens
          http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
          http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com