electronic writing portfolios

  • Nina Liakos
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 6, 2013
      Hi webheads,

      My students have to create a writing portfolio at the end of the semester. The portfolio will contain a reflection on what the student has learned about writing, several examples of process writing assignments and some in-class writing.

      I have been having writing turned in to me electronically and would hate to have to print out all that stuff in the interest of saving trees. Does anyone have a suggestion for collecting the writings in an ePortfolio? The originals docs are done in Word and I would like to preserve the formatting.

      Any ideas would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Nina (home today for a last-gasp-of-winter snow day!)
    • Chris Fry
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 6, 2013
        Hi Nina,

        I have just discovered Pathbrite https://pathbrite.com , which looks great -
        it is designed for eportfolios. I was able to set up a free account and try
        out uploading various types of audio files there. It looks well worth
        looking at although as I only discovered in on Monday I'm not an expert.
        They also offer a very quick response on questions to support.

        Chris

        _____

        My students have to create a writing portfolio at the end of the semester.
        The portfolio will contain a reflection on what the student has learned
        about writing, several examples of process writing assignments and some
        in-class writing.

        I have been having writing turned in to me electronically and would hate to
        have to print out all that stuff in the interest of saving trees. Does
        anyone have a suggestion for collecting the writings in an ePortfolio? The
        originals docs are done in Word and I would like to preserve the formatting.

        Any ideas would be appreciated.

        Thanks,

        Nina (home today for a last-gasp-of-winter snow day!)

      • Maria Irene Albers
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013
          HI Nina,
          You may try Calibre, it's kind of a library where you store books starting with Word documents which you save in rtf format.
          I hope this helps,

          María Irene Albers de Urriola
          Departamento de Idiomas Modernos
          Facultad de Ciencias de la Educación
          Universidad de Carabobo

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013
            Nina,

            You can put all the documents in one word file- then save as PDF.

            This is the simplest solution I could think of.

            Aiden

            Aiden Yeh
            Twitter: motherchina
            Skype: aidenyeh
            Viber, Line, Tango: +886938392852

            Sent from my iPhone

            On 2013/3/7, at 0:11, "Nina Liakos" <nina.liakos@...> wrote:

            > Hi webheads,
            >
            > My students have to create a writing portfolio at the end of the semester. The portfolio will contain a reflection on what the student has learned about writing, several examples of process writing assignments and some in-class writing.
            >
            > I have been having writing turned in to me electronically and would hate to have to print out all that stuff in the interest of saving trees. Does anyone have a suggestion for collecting the writings in an ePortfolio? The originals docs are done in Word and I would like to preserve the formatting.
            >
            > Any ideas would be appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Nina (home today for a last-gasp-of-winter snow day!)

          • Maria Rosario Di Mónaco
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013
              Hi Nina,

              If you want to preserve formatting, then I guess Google docs is out of the
              question. I have used Dropbox, but with them the problem is that the free
              storage limit is not so high. I tried the one suggested by Chris,
              pathbrite, and it looks cool.

              Cheers,
              Mary

              On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM, Chris Fry <chrisfry@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hi Nina,
              >
              > I have just discovered Pathbrite https://pathbrite.com , which looks
              > great -
              > it is designed for eportfolios. I was able to set up a free account and try
              > out uploading various types of audio files there. It looks well worth
              > looking at although as I only discovered in on Monday I'm not an expert.
              > They also offer a very quick response on questions to support.
              >
              > Chris
              >
              > _____

            • Dilip Barad
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013
                Dear Nina,

                For ePortfolios, we use Google Sites. Our students use YouTube, SlideShare,
                Google Docs and Google Sites for their ePortfolios. They share their
                ePortfolios on Google Plus
                <https://plus.google.com/communities/100735896187514802792> Community of
                our Department.

                Some of the sample ePortfolios can be accessed here:

                1. Bhagirath <https://sites.google.com/site/bhagirath131313/> Khuman

                2. Parth <https://sites.google.com/site/parthbhatteportfolio/> Bhatt

                3. Ankita Vadher
                <https://sites.google.com/site/ankitavadhereportfolio/home>

                4. Hetal <https://sites.google.com/site/gohilhetalba88/home> Gohil

                5. Komal <https://sites.google.com/site/bhalanikomaleportfolio/>
                Bhalani

                Regards,

                <http://www.facebook.com/dilipbarad> Dilip Barad, Ph.D.

                Professor & Head,

                <http://www.facebook.com/eng.dept.bu> Dept. of English, Maharaja
                Krishnakumarsinhji Bhavnagar University,

                Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Campus,

                Bhavnagar - 364001. (Gujarat - India)

                www.dilipbarad.com

                09427733691/09898272313

                <mailto:chrisfry%40pangea.org> > wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Hi Nina,
                >
                > I have just discovered Pathbrite https://pathbrite.com , which looks
                > great -
                > it is designed for eportfolios. I was able to set up a free account and
                try
                > out uploading various types of audio files there. It looks well worth
                > looking at although as I only discovered in on Monday I'm not an expert.
                > They also offer a very quick response on questions to support.
                >
                > Chris
                >
                > _____
                >
                > From: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Subject: [evonline2002_webheads] electronic writing portfolios
                >

                > Hi webheads,
                >
                > My students have to create a writing portfolio at the end of the semester.
                > The portfolio will contain a reflection on what the student has learned
                > about writing, several examples of process writing assignments and some
                > in-class writing.
                >
                > I have been having writing turned in to me electronically and would hate
                > have to print out all that stuff in the interest of saving trees. Does
                > anyone have a suggestion for collecting the writings in an ePortfolio? The
                > originals docs are done in Word and I would like to preserve the
                > formatting.
                >
                > Any ideas would be appreciated.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Nina (home today for a last-gasp-of-winter snow day!)

              • Susana Canelo
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013
                  Thanks Chris:
                  It looks really friendly , I'm giving a try.
                  A hug
                  Susana from Argentina

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 8, 2013
                    I want to thank Chris, Mary, Dilip, Susana, Maria and Aiden for their ideas. I've begun checking out a few of them. Dilip, your students' portfolios are awesome! Webheads rock! In the meantime, I have been thinking of using Blogger blogs with a page for each assignment or maybe type of assignment and the reflection of what the student has learned about writing in the class as a single post. I tried it out using an old extinct blog of mine by pasting 2 drafts and a final paper into a post. I selected the one assignment that has an image to see how that would work. I had to download and save the image, but then I could easily insert it in the post. You can see my experiment here: http://001rwg2010.blogspot.com/2013/03/process-paragraph-describe-painting.html

                    The portfolio should have two or maybe three process writing assignments (assignments with several drafts and maybe some pre-writing) as well as at least one in-class writing. I figure if the in-class writing is handwritten, I can simple scan it. Sometimes they write in the computer lab, so that is easy.

                    It will be a challenge to teach my beginners to open a Google account and create a blog, but thankfully there are only 7 in the class so I can help everyone out. I think it can work. And it's free. :-)

                    Still it's wonderful to have so many suggestions to try out and explore. Thank you everyone!

                    Nina
                  • Maria Rosario Di Mónaco
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
                      Nina,

                      This is brilliant! I have to share this idea with my colleagues. We do
                      process writing with all our classes but, so far, it has been limited to a
                      teacher/student exchange of drafts. I think using a blog will take it to
                      another level.

                      We normally agree with each class on a list of symbols that the teacher
                      will use to signal errors, which can be posted in the blog for future
                      reference.

                      Love the idea!

                      Mary

                      On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 1:10 AM, Nina Liakos <nina.liakos@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > I want to thank Chris, Mary, Dilip, Susana, Maria and Aiden for their
                      > ideas. I've begun checking out a few of them. Dilip, your students'
                      > portfolios are awesome! Webheads rock! In the meantime, I have been
                      > thinking of using Blogger blogs with a page for each assignment or maybe
                      > type of assignment and the reflection of what the student has learned about
                      > writing in the class as a single post. I tried it out using an old extinct
                      > blog of mine by pasting 2 drafts and a final paper into a post. I selected
                      > the one assignment that has an image to see how that would work. I had to
                      > download and save the image, but then I could easily insert it in the post.
                      > You can see my experiment here:
                      > http://001rwg2010.blogspot.com/2013/03/process-paragraph-describe-painting.html
                      >
                      > The portfolio should have two or maybe three process writing assignments
                      > (assignments with several drafts and maybe some pre-writing) as well as at
                      > least one in-class writing. I figure if the in-class writing is
                      > handwritten, I can simple scan it. Sometimes they write in the computer
                      > lab, so that is easy.
                      >
                      > It will be a challenge to teach my beginners to open a Google account and
                      > create a blog, but thankfully there are only 7 in the class so I can help
                      > everyone out. I think it can work. And it's free. :-)
                      >
                      > Still it's wonderful to have so many suggestions to try out and explore.
                      > Thank you everyone!
                      >
                      > Nina
                      >
                      > __

                    • Dilip Barad
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
                        Dear Nina,

                        Your experiment on blog is very good. We also do similar sort of experiments
                        on enhancing writing skills through blogs.

                        http://b4tl.blogspot.in/2009/08/story-writing.html - on this blog you will
                        see how story writing is used over blog to generate language and enhance
                        writing skills. Please see the comments. In first three comments, you will
                        find what students have done in group activity. And, do not miss to see the
                        levels of language in all three language. In first comment, you will see
                        simple language . . . and the level of language will go on increasing in
                        second and third. The second comment makes use of adjective which makes
                        language ornamental. The third comment is highest form of language used in
                        all three comments. In this third comment, the students were able to create
                        environment – a bit of literary use of language. Literature has the highest
                        form of language and hence either in writing or reading literature, one
                        required highest level of language competency in writing and reading skills.

                        <mailto:nina.liakos%40gmail.com> > wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > I want to thank Chris, Mary, Dilip, Susana, Maria and Aiden for their
                        > ideas. I've begun checking out a few of them. Dilip, your students'
                        > portfolios are awesome! Webheads rock! In the meantime, I have been
                        > thinking of using Blogger blogs with a page for each assignment or maybe
                        > type of assignment and the reflection of what the student has learned
                        about
                        > writing in the class as a single post. I tried it out using an old extinct
                        > blog of mine by pasting 2 drafts and a final paper into a post. I selected
                        > the one assignment that has an image to see how that would work. I had to
                        > download and save the image, but then I could easily insert it in the
                        post.
                        > You can see my experiment here:

                        http://001rwg2010.blogspot.com/2013/03/process-paragraph-describe-painting.h
                        tml

                        > The portfolio should have two or maybe three process writing assignments
                        > (assignments with several drafts and maybe some pre-writing) as well as at
                        > least one in-class writing. I figure if the in-class writing is
                        > handwritten, I can simple scan it. Sometimes they write in the computer
                        > lab, so that is easy.
                        >
                        > It will be a challenge to teach my beginners to open a Google account and
                        > create a blog, but thankfully there are only 7 in the class so I can help
                        > everyone out. I think it can work. And it's free. :-)
                        >
                        > Still it's wonderful to have so many suggestions to try out and explore.
                        > Thank you everyone!
                        >
                        > Nina
                        >
                        > __

                      • Aiden
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
                          Hi All,

                          Speaking of writing portfolios using blogs, I'm using blogs in writing poetry. Students write their poems on their blogs- I check and post my suggestions/corrections in the comments area. I'm careful to check only the technical aspects of the language so as to retain students' creative voice.

                          Anyone doing poetry this spring? We can do a poetry reading online or poetry exchange work. Let me know if you're interested in creating something wonderful with my class. I've got 3 students from Indonesia and the rest are Taiwanese students- 16 in all.

                          Aiden
                          Aiden Yeh, PhD
                          Assistant Professor
                          Wenzao Ursuline College of Languages

                          On 2013/3/9, at 21:22, "Dilip Barad" <dilipbarad@...> wrote:

                          > Dear Nina,
                          >
                          > Your experiment on blog is very good. We also do similar sort of experiments
                          > on enhancing writing skills through blogs.
                          >
                          > http://b4tl.blogspot.in/2009/08/story-writing.html - on this blog you will
                          > see how story writing is used over blog to generate language and enhance
                          > writing skills. Please see the comments. In first three comments, you will
                          > find what students have done in group activity. And, do not miss to see the
                          > levels of language in all three language. In first comment, you will see
                          > simple language . . . and the level of language will go on increasing in
                          > second and third. The second comment makes use of adjective which makes
                          > language ornamental. The third comment is highest form of language used in
                          > all three comments. In this third comment, the students were able to create
                          > environment – a bit of literary use of language. Literature has the highest
                          > form of language and hence either in writing or reading literature, one
                          > required highest level of language competency in writing and reading skills.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          >
                          > <http://www.facebook.com/dilipbarad> Dilip Barad

                        • Nina Liakos
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 10, 2013
                            Thanks Mary and Dilip for your feedback. Dilip, great use of a blog for story-telling! It's really amazing how the level of language changes.
                            Nina

                            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Dilip Barad" <dilipbarad@...> wrote:

                            > Dear Nina,

                            > http://b4tl.blogspot.in/2009/08/story-writing.html - on this blog you will
                            > see how story writing is used over blog to generate language and enhance
                            > writing skills. Please see the comments. In first three comments, you will
                            > find what students have done in group activity. And, do not miss to see the
                            > levels of language in all three language. In first comment, you will see
                            > simple language . . . and the level of language will go on increasing in
                            > second and third. The second comment makes use of adjective which makes
                            > language ornamental. The third comment is highest form of language used in
                            > all three comments. In this third comment, the students were able to create
                            > environment – a bit of literary use of language. Literature has the highest
                            > form of language and hence either in writing or reading literature, one
                            > required highest level of language competency in writing and reading skills.
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            Dilip Barad

                          • Carla arena
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 10, 2013
                              Nina, have you considered wikispaces with folders for each assignment with
                              different student pages for their drafts?
                              I think it is an effective tool for your e-portfolio and teacher and
                              students can keep track of progress through the wiki history pages.

                              Carla