Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Applying what we learned in MultiMOOC in EVO 2013 to Writingmatrix

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
      Hi Rita,

      Thanks for your feedback. I visited today's paper.li for Writingmatrix
      http://paper.li/VanceS/1361524508?edition_id=b787e120-7d99-11e2-8ccc-00259071bfec

      and clicked on your content, and found that it had been published via your
      tweet
      http://screencast.com/t/fp2nVMShPz

      This is what we found out in the MultiMOOC session, that Twitter is a
      reliable aggregator to Paper.li whereas Scoop it is reliably NOT one of t
      Paper.li's aggregators. When you tweet from Scoop.it the link in your tweet
      is to your Scoop, not to the original article. These will not appear at
      Paper.li. However the tweet you made directly on Twitter giving your link
      to your original article was aggregated.

      I'm not sure why your Ning post wasn't picked up but a closer examination
      will probably reveal the underlying rule. Why not try tweeting that you
      made a post in your Ning and give the URL to the Ning post and let's see if
      we can get it in Paper.li that way (then we'll know more about what we
      should tell students to do to participate in Writingmatrix).

      I tweeted my blog post
      http://multiliteracies.posterous.com/applying-what-we-learned-in-multimooc-in-evoand
      tagged the post itself writingmatrix. Both appear to have been picked
      up, the tagged blog post in the main page, and the tweet in "Heard on
      Twitter" sidebar. Tom Leverett's post also appears to have been picked up
      because it was tagged writingmatrix.

      This would be great news if we could find what blogs are being polled by
      Paper.li (e.g. Blogger, Posterous until Apr.30, and Wordpress I believe)
      and for those blogs it might be enough it students just tag their posts.

      More research is necessary (let's do it :-)

      Vance

      On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Rita <rita@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi, Vance and all,
      >
      > Interestingly enough, I published several posts in different spaces
      > --Twitter, Ning and ScoopIt-- with the "writingmatrix" hashtag, to see
      > results in Paper.li today, and only the one in ScoopIt seemed to have been
      > picked by Paper.li, not the others. In fact, I stopped using Paper.li for
      > this reason a while ago.
      > Any idea why this is so..?
      >
      > Cheers, Vance, this project revival brings back good memories :-)
      >
      > Rita
      >

      > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Vance Stevens wrote:
      > >
      > > A few years ago, Vance Stevens coordinated Nelba Quintana and Rita
      > > Zeinstejer in Argentina, Doris Molero in Venezuela, and Sasa Sirk in
      > > Slovenia in a global project to put student writers in touch with each
      > > other through blogging, by tagging their posts 'writingmatrix'. At the
      > > time, the students were able to locate each other's blogs by using
      > > Technorati. This was surprisingly effective at the time; however
      > > Technorati has since tightened what its searches will return in order to
      > > reduce clutter for whom it perceives are the most important users of its
      > > services (not casual educators). Therefore Technorati no longer works
      > well
      > > for this purpose, but those involved in the project found results at the
      > > time to be highly satisfactory. Those involved produced numerous online
      > > artifacts, including presentations and scholarly articles, many of which
      > > are linked from our Writingmatrix project portal at:
      > > http://writingmatrix.wikispaces.com --

      Vance Stevens
      http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
      http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

    • Rita
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
        Thanks, Vance. Good deduction. I've sent two posts to Twitter connected with Ning: one from Twitter, within Ning (having associated my accounts), the other "straight" from Twitter providing the link to the original posting. I guess both will be picked up. It would then be confirmed that the association is needed when working on Ning. Let's check tomorrow.

        Rita