Learning2gether this week and last: Sun Feb 24 1300 GMT Heike Philp on impact of recordings from Web conferences

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23, 2013
      Greetings all,

      I have finally managed to upload the mp3 recording and YouTube link from
      last week's Hangout with Claire Siskin, Chris Fry, and Jeff Lebow. Of
      course you've heard that Posterous is shutting down on April 30, leaving us
      to move our content elsewhere and sweep up a huge backyard full of broken
      links strewn like leaves throughout our cyber-spaces, but for the time
      being I'm still podcasting from there, so last week's content can be found
      at
      http://learning2gether.posterous.com/vance-stevens-hosts-a-post-evo-multimooc-stre

      Topics ranged from the full story of griefer-spammer James O'Reilly through
      to what we learned from MultiMOOC. And there's more about that in the last
      just updated blog post at
      http://multiliteracies.posterous.com/applying-what-we-learned-in-multimooc-in-evoon
      revising Writingmatrix so that it can once again share student writing
      worldwide.

      This week we have another full program for you, leading off with Heike
      Philp taking us through the highlights of various online conference she has
      organized, been a part of, and most importantly, recorded. Noting that
      the Virtual Round Table WebCon, the DaFWEBKON for teachers of German, and
      the SLanguages Annual Symposium attracted some 4,500 synchronous
      participants in total, but that the recordings have been watched over
      23,000 times, Heike she thinks these recordings may serve as the
      'Khanacademy for language teachers'.

      Her presentation is in Adobe Connect, details here:
      http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#Nextupcomingevents

      Scrolling down that link you'll find something interesting online each day
      through Wednesday:

      Monday, Feb 25, 1500 GMT - Nellie Deutsch in conversation with Charles
      Fadel, author of "What should students learn in the 21st century"
      http://www.wiziq.com/newsletter/Charles-Fadel-Feb-Web.htm

      Tue, Feb 26, webcast twice today - Trace Effects and the TESOL Standards,
      all seminars are in Adobe Connect: Details
      http://dos-materialsdevelopment.adobeconnect.com/trace/

      Wed, Feb 27 - Coach Carole is organizing an in depth look at Augmented
      Reality through the eye of Christopher Winter; details
      https://plus.google.com/u/0/106330844842153065361/posts/Zf8ZmXQuFNZ?cfem=1

      For Sundays March 3 and March 10 we don't have anything specifically lined
      up as yet. We've had a suggestion to have continue our conversation on
      badges (but no firm commitment yet) and I'm thinking to do a session on
      revisiting Writingmatrix once we've collected more data from Paper.li. If
      you would like to host on one of these days, let us know.

      The following Sunday March 17 we'll feature Carla Arena's IATEFL Webinar on
      mobile learning, and the week after that we'll webcast from the TESOL
      Conference in Dallas, but I'll be on a plane home on Sunday.

      So, hoping to connect with you at some point this coming week

      --
      Vance Stevens
      http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com

    • Daniel Bassill
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 23, 2013
        Thanks for the info Vance. I've had a Paper.Li account (http://paper.li/tutormentorteam ) for more than a year but don't promote it much because the info on the page seems too random to serve as a network-building tool. I posted a Tweet this morning and included the #writingmatrix tag.

        It seems to me that in order for this to be valuable for content aggregation it would need to pull from pretty specific feeds. I've not spent a lot of time trying to figure how to do that, so if you've found a way, I hope to learn from you.

        Dan Bassill
        Tutor/Mentor Connection
        Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC
        http://www.tutormentorconnection.org