Applying what we learned in MultiMOOC in EVO 2013 to Writingmatrix

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2013
      A few years ago, Vance Stevens coordinated Nelba Quintana and Rita
      Zeinstejer in Argentina, Doris Molero in Venezuela, and Sasa Sirk in
      Slovenia in a global project to put student writers in touch with each
      other through blogging, by tagging their posts 'writingmatrix'. At the
      time, the students were able to locate each other's blogs by using
      Technorati. This was surprisingly effective at the time; however
      Technorati has since tightened what its searches will return in order to
      reduce clutter for whom it perceives are the most important users of its
      services (not casual educators). Therefore Technorati no longer works well
      for this purpose, but those involved in the project found results at the
      time to be highly satisfactory. Those involved produced numerous online
      artifacts, including presentations and scholarly articles, many of which
      are linked from our Writingmatrix project portal at:
      http://writingmatrix.wikispaces.com Some of the most illustrative
      artifacts include:

      - The delightful 5 min. trailer for our presentation at K-12 Online
      Conference in 2007, http://youtu.be/NHjlCY0BCNo
      - Stevens, Vance. (2009 July 15). Engaging Collaborative Writing through
      Social Networking. In Koyama, Toshiko; Noguchi, Judy; Yoshinari,Yuichiro;
      and Iwasaki, Akio (Eds.). Proceedings of the WorldCALL 2008 Conference. The
      Japan Association for Language Education and Technology (LET). ISBN:
      978-4-9904807-0-7, http://www.j-let.org/~wcf/proceedings/proceedings.pdf,
      pp.68-71.
      - Stevens, Vance, Nelba Quintana, Rita Zeinstejer, Saša Sirk, Doris
      Molero & Carla Arena. (2008). Writingmatrix: Connecting Students with
      Blogs, Tags, and Social Networking. In Stevens, Vance & Elizabeth
      Hanson-Smith, Co-editors. (2008). Special Feature: Proceedings of the
      Webheads in Action Online Convergence, 2007. TESL-EJ, Volume 11, Number 4:
      http://tesl-ej.org/ej44/a7.html

      Meanwhile, one of the serendipitous outcomes of conducting the recently
      ended EVO MultiMOOC session was a greater understanding of how Paper.li
      works. The results of these experiments were reported at these URLs (which
      will be broken when Posterous shuts down at the end of April 2013, but
      which will hopefully be ported elsewhere):

      -
      http://webheadsinaction.org/sun-feb-10-2013-1500-gmt-evo-multimooc-hangout-and-stream
      -
      http://learning2gether.posterous.com/vance-stevens-hosts-evo-multimooc-hangout-and

      We discovered that Paper.li can be configured to publish results when they
      are tweeted with a #hashtag (such as #mmooc13 in the examples given above).
      It (slap forehead!) dawned on me that Paper.li could replace Technorati in
      a revival of the Writingmatrix project. All we would need to do would be
      to encourage our colleagues and their students to blog creative writing,
      tag it 'writingmatrix', and then tweet what they had done using the
      #writingmatrix hashtag.

      So I set up a Paper.li for this purpose: http://paper.li/VanceS/1361524508.
      I configured it to publish daily for the time being so that we can test it
      and see results within a day of their posting (with aggregations going to
      press each day at around midnight GMT). Furthermore, I have found
      configuration options with Paper.li that look like this:

      http://screencast.com/t/a5r4s2cQHTK

      So to be on the safe side, according to what we know about Paper.li, if
      someone makes a post in a blog, tweets about that post, and tags the tweet
      #writingmatrix, Paper.li seems pretty reliable about publishing that in
      the next edition of Paper.li, with the caveat that it must be a direct
      tweet (Paper.li doesn't post secondary tweets, where you post to Scoop.it
      for example, and then tick that you want that shared on Twitter - even if
      you #tag that tweet, it does not appear to be picked up in Paper.li if the
      link is to a URL ending in scoopit.com).

      According to the configuration in the screenshot above, posts should appear
      in our Paper.li if the blog post is tagged 'writingmatrix' (or anything
      that generates an RSS feed with that tag, though this remains to be
      tested). Also we should see results if mention is made of writingmatrix in
      Twitter, Facebook or in Google+. I'll make posts in these places and see
      if I can get them to appear in the writingmatrix Paper.li, and you are
      welcome to try as well.

      Eventually we might want to encourage our students to do this. The
      original idea suggests that teachers invite student writers from all over
      the world to post their creative writing online and then tag and tweet it
      in such a way that writers in other parts of the globe can find it and
      contribute their own, and hopefully young students might then comment on
      each other's writing, and be encouraged to write for a wider audience than
      one restricted to the vicinity of the classroom.

      Here is where you come in. You are invited to join the experiment. You
      are invited to test the system by

      - making blog posts and tagging them 'writingmatrix'
      - tweeting those posts with the hashtag #writingmatrix
      - tweeting a variety of other artifacts online with the hashtag
      #writingmatrix to help us see what Paper.li will acknowledge as a valid
      candidate for publication
      - posting to facebook content containing the word 'writingmatrix'
      - posting to Google+ content containing the word 'writingmatrix'
      - encouraging your students and colleagues to do any of the above

      We'll check back after a few days and see what Paper.li has come up with
      (note that you can pull down "archives" to see the results from each day).
      We'll analyze the outcome in a follow-up blog post later.

    • Rita
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
        Hi, Vance and all,

        Interestingly enough, I published several posts in different spaces --Twitter, Ning and ScoopIt-- with the "writingmatrix" hashtag, to see results in Paper.li today, and only the one in ScoopIt seemed to have been picked by Paper.li, not the others. In fact, I stopped using Paper.li for this reason a while ago.
        Any idea why this is so..?

        Cheers, Vance, this project revival brings back good memories :-)

        Rita

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
          Hi Rita,

          Thanks for your feedback. I visited today's paper.li for Writingmatrix
          http://paper.li/VanceS/1361524508?edition_id=b787e120-7d99-11e2-8ccc-00259071bfec

          and clicked on your content, and found that it had been published via your
          tweet
          http://screencast.com/t/fp2nVMShPz

          This is what we found out in the MultiMOOC session, that Twitter is a
          reliable aggregator to Paper.li whereas Scoop it is reliably NOT one of t
          Paper.li's aggregators. When you tweet from Scoop.it the link in your tweet
          is to your Scoop, not to the original article. These will not appear at
          Paper.li. However the tweet you made directly on Twitter giving your link
          to your original article was aggregated.

          I'm not sure why your Ning post wasn't picked up but a closer examination
          will probably reveal the underlying rule. Why not try tweeting that you
          made a post in your Ning and give the URL to the Ning post and let's see if
          we can get it in Paper.li that way (then we'll know more about what we
          should tell students to do to participate in Writingmatrix).

          I tweeted my blog post
          http://multiliteracies.posterous.com/applying-what-we-learned-in-multimooc-in-evoand
          tagged the post itself writingmatrix. Both appear to have been picked
          up, the tagged blog post in the main page, and the tweet in "Heard on
          Twitter" sidebar. Tom Leverett's post also appears to have been picked up
          because it was tagged writingmatrix.

          This would be great news if we could find what blogs are being polled by
          Paper.li (e.g. Blogger, Posterous until Apr.30, and Wordpress I believe)
          and for those blogs it might be enough it students just tag their posts.

          More research is necessary (let's do it :-)

          Vance

          On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Rita <rita@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hi, Vance and all,
          >
          > Interestingly enough, I published several posts in different spaces
          > --Twitter, Ning and ScoopIt-- with the "writingmatrix" hashtag, to see
          > results in Paper.li today, and only the one in ScoopIt seemed to have been
          > picked by Paper.li, not the others. In fact, I stopped using Paper.li for
          > this reason a while ago.
          > Any idea why this is so..?
          >
          > Cheers, Vance, this project revival brings back good memories :-)
          >
          > Rita
          >

          > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Vance Stevens wrote:
          > >
          > > A few years ago, Vance Stevens coordinated Nelba Quintana and Rita
          > > Zeinstejer in Argentina, Doris Molero in Venezuela, and Sasa Sirk in
          > > Slovenia in a global project to put student writers in touch with each
          > > other through blogging, by tagging their posts 'writingmatrix'. At the
          > > time, the students were able to locate each other's blogs by using
          > > Technorati. This was surprisingly effective at the time; however
          > > Technorati has since tightened what its searches will return in order to
          > > reduce clutter for whom it perceives are the most important users of its
          > > services (not casual educators). Therefore Technorati no longer works
          > well
          > > for this purpose, but those involved in the project found results at the
          > > time to be highly satisfactory. Those involved produced numerous online
          > > artifacts, including presentations and scholarly articles, many of which
          > > are linked from our Writingmatrix project portal at:
          > > http://writingmatrix.wikispaces.com --

          Vance Stevens
          http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
          http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

        • Rita
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
            Thanks, Vance. Good deduction. I've sent two posts to Twitter connected with Ning: one from Twitter, within Ning (having associated my accounts), the other "straight" from Twitter providing the link to the original posting. I guess both will be picked up. It would then be confirmed that the association is needed when working on Ning. Let's check tomorrow.

            Rita