RE: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Posterous

  • Chris Fry
    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 18, 2013
      Hi Carla,

      I'm a newbie on Tumblr, too. I only started looking at it when there were
      dark clouds hanging over posterous. But I remember reading somewhere that
      there wasn't a way to leave comments and checking, I find this is true:
      "How do I add comments to my blog?
      We don't support native comments, but you can easily install Disqus comments
      on many of our featured themes."

      Obviously, this will be a serious disadvantage for many uses of Tumblr by
      teachers, but not for me.

      I want my students to accumulate a vast number of artefacts mostly
      consisting of live recordings made in class. Ideally, I want them to listen
      to themselves and reflect on their strong and weak points and their progress
      and I want them to select their two best recordings every two weeks to
      present to me for feedback. I like the idea of my students continuing to
      collect recordings of themselves after they have left my class, but I have
      no evidence of this happening and I am sure that if they took out their
      phones all the time in another class to record themselves, the teacher and
      the other students would at least be very surprised!

      I prefer to give my feedback to my students in private and Edmodo is perfect
      for this. I set them an assignment, they turn it in, which is private, and I
      give them the feedback using the comments feature inside Edmodo assignments.
      It really facilitates things when students 'embed' their posterous posts in
      Edmodo. This is easy enough with Edmodo, and having an easy way to add a
      link that creates a player or embed codes that Edmodo understands is one of
      the things I am demanding from any replacement.

      I've just added a test of Tumblr in Edmodo and it looks nice.
      http://chris-fry-barcelona.tumblr.com/post/40189298261/recorded-on-train-liv

      A blog with interaction with other members of the class could be done in a
      similar way on Edmodo or many blogging platforms, particularly if
      interactions with a wider public were part of the objective.

      Chris

      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 18, 2013
        This might be useful. I noticed that Larry Ferlazzo posted this morning about how to migrate from Posterous to Edublogs:

        http://edublogs.org/2013/02/19/migrating-your-posterous-site-to-edublogs/

        I hope I am not repeating something already obvious to those of you who have already written in this thread.

        Mike M.