Re: Posterous

  • Nergiz
    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 18, 2013
      Hi Chris and all

      I heard about Posterous' shutting down a couple of weeks ago. Like Carla, I had long decided to have my own domain and host all my course websites there. I bought a domain and hosting plan and installed WordPress Networks (formerly Wordpress MU or Multiplesite). This means you only have to install WordPress once and can create and manage as many blogs or websites with it as you like with one hosting plan, which makes it very affordable. It's what Wordpress.com or Edublogs,org use. Not all hosting companies support this but hostgator does. Installing it was easier than I thought, and creating a new blog/website literally only takes a few seconds.

      Chris, are you talking about Wordpress.com when you say that they can't host audio files? If you have your own Wordpress installation you can host all kinds of media including audio files. Alternatively, in one case, I hosted my media files in the public folder of Dropbox and linked to them in Wordpress.

      Posterous import: Wordpress offers an import option for Posterous and again it only takes a few minutes to import posts, comments, media, etc. In my case, I had developed a course on Posterous in which every post had an mp3 audio file and a PDF embedded. In Wordpress, I installed two plugins for these functions. I did need to relink them so that they didn't link to Posterous' media files but that didn't take too long. I hated to lose the theme, which really fit extremely well with my content but I found something similar on WP.

      Nergiz

      When I decide where to go next, I will still be left with the problem of
      > what to do with the backups I have ordered from posterous.
      > The two solutions posterous suggest won't work for me. Squarespace is not
      > free and I wouldn't want to pay or ask my students to pay and Wordpress
      > won't be able to host the audio files.
      > I can foresee any solution being very time consuming as I link posts to
      > wherever I can find to house the audio files.
      >
      > I'm am keen to examine all possibilities for a replacement to posterous for
      > audio files, so if you've got any suggestions, please let me know. I fear we
      > will be mostly commiserating with each other more than finding solutions to
      > the back up problem, but, hey, that's something!
      >
      > Chris

    • Mike
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 18, 2013
        This might be useful. I noticed that Larry Ferlazzo posted this morning about how to migrate from Posterous to Edublogs:

        http://edublogs.org/2013/02/19/migrating-your-posterous-site-to-edublogs/

        I hope I am not repeating something already obvious to those of you who have already written in this thread.

        Mike M.