Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Posterous

  • John Hibbs
    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 16 7:53 PM
      One would think that before the Final Decision to shutter the doors
      would be to blast all the users with some rate chart -- and see if
      there was enough income to stay afloat.

      As good as Posterous was, I would think that it could have made it on
      a fee-for-service basis? (So long as the provider doesn't keep
      offering new bells and windows, one would think that maintenence
      costs would be relatively small.

      It would be interesting to know more about Posterous 'on going'
      service costs would be? It would also be interesting to learn what
      would Tribe Leaders, like Vance, would be able to "collect" from
      their Tribe for continuing the service?

      At 2:50 AM +0000 2/17/13, Michael Coghlan wrote:
      >Hi everyone.
      >
      >It does seem the nature of the free software beast that eventually, in
      >most cases,
      >
      >1) it will no longer be free.
      >2) it will close down.
      >
      >Backupify (backupify.com) provides back up service (at a small cost) for
      >all Google apps (Gmail, Blogger, etc), Flickr, Facebook and Twitter, but
      >not for Posterous :(
      >
      >It's a real shame that Tapped In and Posterous are closing. TI is part
      >of webheads history! It's been one of our default home bases for a long
      >time. And I thought Posterous was the simplest tool out there for
      >getting content on the web quickly. It seemed to accept just about
      >anything you threw at it via email, upload, or phone.
      >
      >It seems that as Facebook goes on expanding and convincing people that
      >it is THE internet, other niche products fall by the wayside because
      >they can't compete. Just like small businesses close as supermarket
      >chains monopolise the market.
      >
      >And yes, as Nina said, back up and keep a local copy of anything you
      >value and want to keep
    • Mike
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 18 11:50 PM
        This might be useful. I noticed that Larry Ferlazzo posted this morning about how to migrate from Posterous to Edublogs:

        http://edublogs.org/2013/02/19/migrating-your-posterous-site-to-edublogs/

        I hope I am not repeating something already obvious to those of you who have already written in this thread.

        Mike M.