Re: [evonline2002_webheads] CALL Course Syllabus

  • Fran Toomey
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 15, 2013
      Christine's course was wonderful, even for a beginner as I was. Wish I
      could take a refresher course to update my skills. I keep adding to the
      base she gave me. Doing a great deal of curating and trying to keep a blog
      acrive,
      Fran Toomey

    • Sedat Akayoglu
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 16, 2013
        Thank you all,

        I really appreciate your immediate help; and now it's time to organize all
        links and finalize the syllabus.

        Best wishes,

        --
        Dr. Sedat Akayoğlu
        http://akayoglu_s.web.ibu.edu.tr
        Abant İzzet Baysal University
        Faculty of Education
        Department of Foreign Language Education
        English Language Teaching Program
        Bolu

      • Hala Fawzi
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 17, 2013
          Hello Sedat,

          I am teaching the a course, under Educational Technology name, for now to senior applied Linguistics students, who will graduate as teachers of English language. The syllabub is uploaded in our closed LMS, but  I will email  you the link to my ss e-portfolios and a copy on the syllabus.

          Btw, be prepared to keep yourself constantly updated with all the new tech tools around. You will find how technology advances in a scary way. The course objectives are always the same, but the content is changing based on your digital natives students.

          I started teaching this course in 2010, and believe me, my students keep on  impressing  you of how "digitalish" they have become each term. I keep changing/modifying/adapting/adding to the content all the time. In 2010, for example, I used to give an introductory class about what is twitter and  how to use it  in teaching/learning, with additional lab session to practice/do the required tasks. Now, all of them are tweeting on daily basis (some with more than 12,000 tweets!!!) They are the ones who are teaching me about the use of hashtags and how they create lists. I had to skip the introduction class! I also had to include a section of digital curation (which you won't find in the syllabus) and I introduced to Scoop.it.

          Another point to remember is the secletion of the platform you would like them to use.For the final project, I ask them to  create a wiki on wikispaces for English class/course.Now, wikispaces is not free to view anymore. I had to ask them to invite me to join each wiki to be able to grade their projects.  As a result, I added a final group presentation to the rubric because we coudn't share the work by viewing it on their e-portfolio page. Now,  I am using pbworks for both the class e-portfolios and for the final projects.

          Best of luck,
          Hala

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 17, 2013
            Dearest Barbra,

            I cannot agree more!

            After the students take the CALLI course with me, I meet them again in the second term senior. I teach TEFL course, research methodology and educational psychology. The students find themselves using Google docs to share with me their research, sending me voice messages using vicaroo, using wordle  in their practicum when  teaching vocabulary, or creating an interactive PPT when adapting a student-centered approach in their classes.

            I keep reminding my students that we are only learning the usage of  tools which will help them, as teachers, to achieve the syllabus goals or a lesson's objectives. One of the best readings we use is Stephan Bax 'normalisation'. As part of an assignment, I ask them to reflect, using blogs, on the reading and point out whether ' Bax normailsiation can  be achieved in the Saudi context, what are challenges, possibilities, etc.

            Best regards from the Saudi Kingdom!:-))