Re: [evonline2002_webheads] CALL Course Syllabus

  • Barbara Dieu
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 15, 2013
      Hi Sedat,

      Welcome back!

      It's true that the pace of change in the techno world is staggering and
      this is why I think you should not focus on the tools themselves but on the
      language skills your students will need to have by the end of the course.
      The tools will follow from there, as their function is to help perform
      these actions and not an object of study in itself. As Alan Kay would
      say:"the music is not in the piano".

      If you want tools matched to skills, Edorigami is a good place to start
      http://edorigami.wikispaces.com/#Welcome to the 21st Century-Going Solo
      They are not language specific but it can help.

      Best regards from Brazil,
      B.

      --
      Barbara Dieu
      http://barbaradieu.com

    • Sedat Akayoglu
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 15, 2013
        Dear Barbara,

        Thank you for your quick reply. Actually, this is not a course for teaching
        English but this is a course for teaching how to use technology in language
        classes and my students are pre-service teachers of English. As the
        objective of the course is to teach how to use technological tools (blogs,
        wikis, podcasts, etc.) in language classes, I have to concentrate on the
        tools, not the language. I can categorize the tools according to the
        skills, but we always tell students not to teach the skills separately;
        they should be integrated. Because of this reason, this might be confusing
        for the students.

        Thank you Barbara for your interest again,

        --
        Dr. Sedat Akayoğlu
        http://akayoglu_s.web.ibu.edu.tr

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 15, 2013
          Hi Sedat!

          Welcome back!

          You're welcome to look at our BaW13 wiki and see the types of tools we
          dealt with this year.
          http://baw2013.pbworks.com

          And you're welcome to join our YG. We continue to give support to
          participants and have some live sessions until the end of June.

          Hugs, Teresa

          On 15-02-2013 12:10, Sedat Akayoglu wrote:

          > Dear Barbara,
          >
          > Thank you for your quick reply. Actually, this is not a course for
          > teaching
          > English but this is a course for teaching how to use technology in
          > language
          > classes and my students are pre-service teachers of English. As the
          > objective of the course is to teach how to use technological tools (blogs,
          > wikis, podcasts, etc.) in language classes, I have to concentrate on the
          > tools, not the language. I can categorize the tools according to the
          > skills, but we always tell students not to teach the skills separately;
          > they should be integrated. Because of this reason, this might be confusing
          > for the students.
          >
          > Thank you Barbara for your interest again,
          >
          > --
          > Dr. Sedat Akayog(lu
          > http://akayoglu_s.web.ibu.edu.tr
          > Abant I.zzet Baysal University
          > Faculty of Education
          > Department of Foreign Language Education
          > English Language Teaching Program
          > Bolu
          >
          > On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Barbara Dieu beeonline@...
          > <mailto:beeonline%40gmail.com>> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hi Sedat,
          > >
          > > Welcome back!
          > >
          > > It's true that the pace of change in the techno world is staggering and
          > > this is why I think you should not focus on the tools themselves but
          > on the
          > > language skills your students will need to have by the end of the
          > course.
          > > The tools will follow from there, as their function is to help perform
          > > these actions and not an object of study in itself. As Alan Kay would
          > > say:"the music is not in the piano".
          > >
          > > If you want tools matched to skills, Edorigami is a good place to start
          > > http://edorigami.wikispaces.com/#Welcome to the 21st Century-Going Solo
          > > They are not language specific but it can help.
          > >
          > > Best regards from Brazil,
          > > B.
          > >
          > > --
          > > Barbara Dieu
          > > http://barbaradieu.com
          > > http://beespace.net

        • Evelyn Izquierdo
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 15, 2013
            Hi, Sedat!
            Have a look at this ICT in TEFL graduate course I offered in 2011. You might find something interesting and useful. http://ictintefl2011.pbworks.com/w/page/39511862/FrontPage
            My best wishes,Evelyn---

            Evelyn IzquierdoCátedra de Idiomas ExtranjerosEscuela de EducaciónUniversidad Central de Venezuelahttp://www.ucv.ve http://evelynizquierdo.wordpress.com/Skype: evelyn.izquierdoTwitter: @eveweb

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 15, 2013
              Dear Sedat (Dr. Akayoglu! It sounds so cool!),
              I have been teaching a CALL course for graduate students since 1998—face-to-face and online. The most current version is a 5-week course in the summer and it’s all online. You can see the syllabus in the link under my signature. Next spring I will be teaching it as a 15-week course again but will be making substantial changes to it since I last ran it in 2007.

              Let me know if I can help you further, Sedat, and good luck.

              Christine
              Christine Bauer-Ramazani
              2009-10 Chair, CALL-IS of TESOL
              Instructor, Applied Linguistics Department
              Saint Michael's College phone: 802-654-2642
              One Winooski Park fax: 802-654-2595
              Colchester, VT 05439-0253
              web site: academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/<http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/>
              online CALL course: academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm<http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm>
              “Das Leben hinterlässt kleine Kratzer, aber es stört uns nicht beim Leuchten!”

              On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Barbara Dieu beeonline@...<mailto:beeonline%40gmail.com>> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hi Sedat,
              >
              > Welcome back!
              >
              > It's true that the pace of change in the techno world is staggering and
              > this is why I think you should not focus on the tools themselves but on the
              > language skills your students will need to have by the end of the course.
              > The tools will follow from there, as their function is to help perform
              > these actions and not an object of study in itself. As Alan Kay would
              > say:"the music is not in the piano".
              >
              > If you want tools matched to skills, Edorigami is a good place to start
              > http://edorigami.wikispaces.com/#Welcome to the 21st Century-Going Solo
              > They are not language specific but it can help.
              >
              > Best regards from Brazil,
              > B.
              >
              > --
              > Barbara Dieu
              > http://barbaradieu.com
              > http://beespace.net

            • Fran Toomey
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 15, 2013
                Christine's course was wonderful, even for a beginner as I was. Wish I
                could take a refresher course to update my skills. I keep adding to the
                base she gave me. Doing a great deal of curating and trying to keep a blog
                acrive,
                Fran Toomey

              • Sedat Akayoglu
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 16, 2013
                  Thank you all,

                  I really appreciate your immediate help; and now it's time to organize all
                  links and finalize the syllabus.

                  Best wishes,

                  --
                  Dr. Sedat Akayoğlu
                  http://akayoglu_s.web.ibu.edu.tr
                  Abant İzzet Baysal University
                  Faculty of Education
                  Department of Foreign Language Education
                  English Language Teaching Program
                  Bolu

                • Hala Fawzi
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 17, 2013
                    Hello Sedat,

                    I am teaching the a course, under Educational Technology name, for now to senior applied Linguistics students, who will graduate as teachers of English language. The syllabub is uploaded in our closed LMS, but  I will email  you the link to my ss e-portfolios and a copy on the syllabus.

                    Btw, be prepared to keep yourself constantly updated with all the new tech tools around. You will find how technology advances in a scary way. The course objectives are always the same, but the content is changing based on your digital natives students.

                    I started teaching this course in 2010, and believe me, my students keep on  impressing  you of how "digitalish" they have become each term. I keep changing/modifying/adapting/adding to the content all the time. In 2010, for example, I used to give an introductory class about what is twitter and  how to use it  in teaching/learning, with additional lab session to practice/do the required tasks. Now, all of them are tweeting on daily basis (some with more than 12,000 tweets!!!) They are the ones who are teaching me about the use of hashtags and how they create lists. I had to skip the introduction class! I also had to include a section of digital curation (which you won't find in the syllabus) and I introduced to Scoop.it.

                    Another point to remember is the secletion of the platform you would like them to use.For the final project, I ask them to  create a wiki on wikispaces for English class/course.Now, wikispaces is not free to view anymore. I had to ask them to invite me to join each wiki to be able to grade their projects.  As a result, I added a final group presentation to the rubric because we coudn't share the work by viewing it on their e-portfolio page. Now,  I am using pbworks for both the class e-portfolios and for the final projects.

                    Best of luck,
                    Hala

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 17, 2013
                      Dearest Barbra,

                      I cannot agree more!

                      After the students take the CALLI course with me, I meet them again in the second term senior. I teach TEFL course, research methodology and educational psychology. The students find themselves using Google docs to share with me their research, sending me voice messages using vicaroo, using wordle  in their practicum when  teaching vocabulary, or creating an interactive PPT when adapting a student-centered approach in their classes.

                      I keep reminding my students that we are only learning the usage of  tools which will help them, as teachers, to achieve the syllabus goals or a lesson's objectives. One of the best readings we use is Stephan Bax 'normalisation'. As part of an assignment, I ask them to reflect, using blogs, on the reading and point out whether ' Bax normailsiation can  be achieved in the Saudi context, what are challenges, possibilities, etc.

                      Best regards from the Saudi Kingdom!:-))