Team Based Learning resources or stories

  • sacato
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 2013
      Dear Webheads,

      Greetings from Saudi Arabia. As one or two you might be aware, I relocated here from Japan last September. My online activities have been curtailed as I've tried to make sense of my new teaching situation.

      Six months in, I feel I'm finally beginning to know which way is up. Hopefully, I'll be able to resume some of online activities in due course.

      My purpose in consulting your combined wisdom is because I'm trying to learn more about Team Based Learning. The term was recently introduced to me by my former MA advisor on a recent trip back to Tokyo.

      As I've searched the google I've not been able to find any reference to TBL in ESL or ESP contexts. I wonder if any of you might have spent time venturing down this course and would be willing to share a few links or ideas.

      Thank you in advance.

      See you online,
      Scott Lockman
      Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia
      (scottlo)
    • Luis Arnoldo Ordoñez Vela
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
        Sacato, geetings. TBL perhas is related to network learning of the kind
        suggested by the MOOC's
        Why don�t you check on Stephen Downes bibliography
        regards
        LO

        --
        Luis Ord��ez

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
          Hey Scott,

          I'll bet TBL is something you've been doing all along, and a quick Google
          reveals a trove of information, including
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team-based_learning

          Seems a little something like communities of practice perhaps? (Wenger was
          seeded by Xerox to figure out what was successful in Japanese factories).

          On another note, I used to live at KFUPM and did most of my shopping in Al
          Khobar. I'll bet that place has changed :-)

          Nice to hear from Luis too (speaking of KSA, Luis knows a thing or two
          about CAMELs) ...
          http://learning2gether.posterous.com/luis-arnoldo-ordonez-hangout-with-jeff-lebow

          Vance

          On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 4:14 PM, Luis Arnoldo Ordoñez Vela <
          lordonezv@...> wrote:

          > Sacato, geetings. TBL perhas is related to network learning of the kind
          > suggested by the MOOC's
          > Why don´t you check on Stephen Downes bibliography
          > regards
          > LO
          >
          > 2013/2/13 sacato <sacato@...>
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Dear Webheads,
          > >
          > > Greetings from Saudi Arabia. As one or two you might be aware, I
          > relocated
          > > here from Japan last September. My online activities have been curtailed
          > as
          > > I've tried to make sense of my new teaching situation.
          > >
          > > Six months in, I feel I'm finally beginning to know which way is up.
          > > Hopefully, I'll be able to resume some of online activities in due
          > course.
          > >
          > > My purpose in consulting your combined wisdom is because I'm trying to
          > > learn more about Team Based Learning. The term was recently introduced to
          > > me by my former MA advisor on a recent trip back to Tokyo.
          > >
          > > As I've searched the google I've not been able to find any reference to
          > > TBL in ESL or ESP contexts. I wonder if any of you might have spent time
          > > venturing down this course and would be willing to share a few links or
          > > ideas.
          > >
          > > Thank you in advance.
          > >
          > > See you online,
          > > Scott Lockman
          > > Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia
          > > (scottlo)
          > >

          > --
          Vance Stevens
          http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
          http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

        • Dr. Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 15, 2013
            Hi Scott --
            I agree with Vance, that this sounds like a version of communities of practice.

            For more on this, see the CALL IS Virtual Software List for a list of
            websites tagged "CoP":
            http://www.diigo.com/user/call_is_vsl/CoP

            --Elizabeth H-S