RE: [evonline2002_webheads] Speed Reading software

  • Bauer-Ramazani, Christine
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2013
      Hi Luciana,

      I had purchased Ultimate Speedreader for our IEP a long time ago and we used it for years and really liked it. It was for native speakers but usable with ESL students. When it became incompatible with our system, I looked into different programs and searched by ESL-specific speedreading programs, also posting on Webheads and other lists. There were none, unfortunately.

      One comparison page of programs with reviews that I found helpful was this one: http://speed-reading-software-review.toptenreviews.com/. We have since purchased AceReader and I just started using it. Again, it is not specifically for ESL. AceReader has a lot of drills and features but really needs a set of instructions from the teacher to the students as to how to use it appropriately for speed reading practice during lab time or at home.

      Good luck, Luciana,
      Christine
      Christine Bauer-Ramazani
      2009-10 Chair, CALL-IS of TESOL
      Instructor, Applied Linguistics Department
      Saint Michael's College phone: 802-654-2642
      One Winooski Park fax: 802-654-2595
      Colchester, VT 05439-0253
      web site: academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/<http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/>
      online CALL course: academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm<http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm>
      "Das Leben hinterlässt kleine Kratzer, aber es stört uns nicht beim Leuchten!"