learning2gether about Google Reader in streamed Hangout 1500 Sunday Feb 10

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2013
      Hi,

      This Sunday I am planning to host a live online session where I can explain
      in greater detail how to get started with Google Reader, as I set out to
      describe in this blog post:
      http://multiliteracies.posterous.com/following-blogs-by-subscribing-to-their-rss-f

      You could use this technique to follow student blogs or blogs from any
      group or individual you wish to follow. In the live session I can help you
      set up your Google Readers hands-on, and I plan to be setting mine up to
      find all the posts in blogs that have been written to reflect on certain
      EVO sessions.

      There is another very interesting aspect of the session this Sunday. I
      plan to do it in a Hangout On Air, and stream the video at
      http://webheadsinaction.org/live

      The procedure is explained in this video:
      http://webheadsinaction.org/painless-magic-vance-learning-jeff-lebow

      This procedure overcomes two limitations of hangouts. One limitation is
      that you can only have 10 in one at a time. The other is that it's hard to
      tell people where you'll be hanging out because hangouts are designed to be
      found through your circles and other social features of Google + so there
      is no URL to give out until the Hangout actually starts.

      http://webheadsinaction.org/live overcomes both these problems. First, I
      can embed a Titanpad chat there where anyone can interact. I can put the
      hangout URL there and others can click on it and join the chat. Or if you
      are having problems you can get help in the chat. Secondly, since the
      YouTube embed that lets you play the recording later HAPPENS to stream the
      event while it's in session, then anyone can visit the URL where that link
      is embedded and listen to the stream. So if the Hangout is full, hundreds
      more can listen in and interact in the Titanpad chat (thousands? tens? no
      idea actually). We can also announce on the stream when places become
      available in the Hangout and participants in the Hangout can be rotated in
      and out that way.

      So one purpose of the session will be to Learn2gether about Google Reader
      how to follow class sets of blogs. But in so doing we'll see how to stream
      a Hangout so it can reach beyond just the ten in the hangout itself.

      You'll find information updates here
      http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#Nextupcomingevents
      and to actually join the session, come at 1500 GMT Feb 10 to
      http://webheadsinaction.org/live
      and get the last minute directions in stream and text chat.

      P.S. When joining the hangout, switch OFF the stream. Otherwise you'll get
      two sound inputs, one delayed slightly. So listen to only one at a time.
      Also, when in a Hangout please wear a headset to avoid sending speaker
      sound back into your mic and creating and echo crescendo.

      --
      Vance Stevens
      http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com

    • Arunachalam.G Arun
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2013
        Dear Steve,
        How do you do? The Faculty of English in our college
        have ventured to conduct our first International conference.I,m sending you
        the scanned image of the broucher. All are invited.
        With Regards
        Arunachalam.G

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 8, 2013
          Thank you,

          Attachments are blocked on our list so we did not receive the scanned
          image.

          If there is a website we can visit, or if you would like to send the
          details pasted to email, that would work,

          Vance