Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Coursera

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2013
      Just taking the snippets below, from FrenchBob I would say that FORTUNATELY
      these other MOOCs overlap with EVO. This good fortune pertains to the
      MultiMOOC EVO session where we find it useful to have a look at what's
      going on in other MOOCs while conducting ours, and having one going on
      right then is better in many ways than having a look at artifacts left
      online by a MOOC that's over and done, because with a live one you get the
      benefit of experiencing some of the interaction taking place around it.
      Last year, we coincided with Change MOOC, for example.

      I have just Scooped a MOOC which is developed in Canvas and I point out in
      my scoop some of the correspondences (and differences) it might have with
      EVO MultiMOOC, which is a cMOOC
      http://www.scoop.it/t/edumooc/p/3972440584/the-mixably-open-online-course-mooc-part-i-module-structure

      When talking about MOOCs we need to distinguish cMOOCs from xMOOCs. I
      think someone mentioned MOOC MOOC in this thread, as having a syllabus that
      "participants are expected to break." If the syllabus is not sacrosanct,
      but the learning derives from exploring the suggested syllabus in whatever
      direction individual participants want while benefiting from interaction
      with others in the network associated with that MOOC, then this is likely a
      cMOOC (connectivist). Coursera is an example of an xMOOC platform where
      the learning outcome is often expected to be mastery of a set syllabus with
      possibly a certificate at the end ascertaining that the user has met the
      standard.

      MultiMOOC may or not be a true MOOC (in massive terms), but we hope it will
      bring on a discussion of what MOOCs are and their potential for personal
      learning and education in general. Along the way we will speak with Dave
      Cormier, who coined the term MOOC in 2008.

      But today Sunday Jan 6 at 1300 GMT, I will be speaking with MultiMOOC
      co-moderators Ana Cristina Pratas and Tony Gurr (Claire Siskin is sick,
      might need to rest) in the Webheads Elluminate room. The discussion will
      be spontaneous with co-moderators themselves trying to figure out what this
      course will be about. Should be interesting, and if you want to join us
      and help us work out how to proceed with the topic, please do. If you are
      interested, you qualify, and your input into our recording is welcome.

      You can find out more (e.g. the link to join the session) about this and
      other synchronous events we've lined up for MultiMOOC here:
      http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded

      Vance

      Vance Stevens
      http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
      http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2013
        me too!

      • katia hameg
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2013
          Hi Bob,

          Thank you for the posting about Coursera courses. As a Montreal-based
          resident, I have just signed for a few of them. I hope my time table
          will allow me make it with the EVO 2013 sessions this time.

          Sincerely,

          Katia

          Katia HAMEG
          MA TESOL