Re: Coursera

  • Vanessa
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2013
      There are also several connectivist MOOCs starting up that might be of
      interest (even if not applicable to Webhead specific teaching areas.
      MOOC MOOC (yes, silly name ~ academics playing word games, but the
      organizers (Hybrid Pedagogy online magazine) are into and serious about
      teaching, digital writing and ed tech, making for significant overlap.
      It uses the Canvas platform (more open than most LMS) and is just one
      week too, with a syllabus that participants are expected to break.
      https://www.canvas.net/courses/mooc-mooc
      <http://https://www.canvas.net/courses/mooc-mooc>
      We'll be taking a look at what MOOCs are, where learning happens in (and
      not in) MOOCs, the idea that participants are pedagogues, how assessment
      happens in MOOCs, and why we're so interested in this latest educational
      strategy.
      Introduction to Complexity,
      http://www.santafe.edu/news/item/announce-mooc/
      <http://www.santafe.edu/news/item/announce-mooc/> and
      http://www.santafe.edu/mooc/subscribe
      <http://http://www.santafe.edu/mooc/subscribe> from Santa Fe
      Institute http://www.santafe.edu <http://www.santafe.edu>
      I can't help thinking (hoping/expecting) that this course should fit
      right into Vance's characterization of coping with overwhelming internet
      information deluge as "intuitively navigating chaos" ~ plus networks.
      #ETMOOC, Alec Couros + crew, educational technology & media,
      http://etmooc.org <http://etmooc.org/> & http://etmooc.org/register
      <http://etmooc.org/register>
      As for Coursera and others (really, C's not the only one), a
      connectivist frame of mind and exposure help: design your own personal
      learning program. Take what you want/need, leave the rest. Don't feel
      guilty about not doing everything or doing just what you want and the
      way you want to do it. Align to your needs, not their expectations.
      I completed one, followed others with varying degrees of engagement and
      have signed for a few more (can't remember names just off hand). Best
      takeaway for me was making connections (outside the clunky platform)
      that ended up starting a lively, international book group because we did
      not want to give up the book talk. That and seeing how not seriously to
      take them.
      Vanessa
      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "frenchbob2001" wrote:

      > There are a couple of free courses from Coursera that may be of
      interest to Webheads. They are free but do unfortunately overlap with
      EVO 2013.

      > https://www.coursera.org/category/education
      >
      > The courses appear to be presented by university staff and people who
      complete the course successfully will be sent a certificate according to
      the blurbs.

    • michaelc@chariot.net.au
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2013
        John - I'd be very happy to see that conversation take place here.

        - Michael

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2013
          Just taking the snippets below, from FrenchBob I would say that FORTUNATELY
          these other MOOCs overlap with EVO. This good fortune pertains to the
          MultiMOOC EVO session where we find it useful to have a look at what's
          going on in other MOOCs while conducting ours, and having one going on
          right then is better in many ways than having a look at artifacts left
          online by a MOOC that's over and done, because with a live one you get the
          benefit of experiencing some of the interaction taking place around it.
          Last year, we coincided with Change MOOC, for example.

          I have just Scooped a MOOC which is developed in Canvas and I point out in
          my scoop some of the correspondences (and differences) it might have with
          EVO MultiMOOC, which is a cMOOC
          http://www.scoop.it/t/edumooc/p/3972440584/the-mixably-open-online-course-mooc-part-i-module-structure

          When talking about MOOCs we need to distinguish cMOOCs from xMOOCs. I
          think someone mentioned MOOC MOOC in this thread, as having a syllabus that
          "participants are expected to break." If the syllabus is not sacrosanct,
          but the learning derives from exploring the suggested syllabus in whatever
          direction individual participants want while benefiting from interaction
          with others in the network associated with that MOOC, then this is likely a
          cMOOC (connectivist). Coursera is an example of an xMOOC platform where
          the learning outcome is often expected to be mastery of a set syllabus with
          possibly a certificate at the end ascertaining that the user has met the
          standard.

          MultiMOOC may or not be a true MOOC (in massive terms), but we hope it will
          bring on a discussion of what MOOCs are and their potential for personal
          learning and education in general. Along the way we will speak with Dave
          Cormier, who coined the term MOOC in 2008.

          But today Sunday Jan 6 at 1300 GMT, I will be speaking with MultiMOOC
          co-moderators Ana Cristina Pratas and Tony Gurr (Claire Siskin is sick,
          might need to rest) in the Webheads Elluminate room. The discussion will
          be spontaneous with co-moderators themselves trying to figure out what this
          course will be about. Should be interesting, and if you want to join us
          and help us work out how to proceed with the topic, please do. If you are
          interested, you qualify, and your input into our recording is welcome.

          You can find out more (e.g. the link to join the session) about this and
          other synchronous events we've lined up for MultiMOOC here:
          http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded

          Vance

          Vance Stevens
          http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
          http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 6, 2013
            me too!

          • katia hameg
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 9, 2013
              Hi Bob,

              Thank you for the posting about Coursera courses. As a Montreal-based
              resident, I have just signed for a few of them. I hope my time table
              will allow me make it with the EVO 2013 sessions this time.

              Sincerely,

              Katia

              Katia HAMEG
              MA TESOL