Coursera

  • frenchbob2001
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2013
      There are a couple of free courses from Coursera that may be of interest to Webheads. They are free but do unfortunately overlap with EVO 2013.

      https://www.coursera.org/category/education

      The courses appear to be presented by university staff and people who complete the course successfully will be sent a certificate according to the blurbs.
    • John Hibbs
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2013
        Thank you FrenchBob. If any Webheads decide to take any Coursera
        (MOOC) course, I would like to hear from you. In fact, even if you
        are contemplating taking a MOOC, I would be interested in exchanging
        thoughts. It may be better to take that conversation off the
        Webheads/Yahoo Group?

        At 5:14 PM +0000 1/5/13, frenchbob2001 wrote:
        >There are a couple of free courses from Coursera that may be of
        >interest to Webheads. They are free but do unfortunately overlap
        >with EVO 2013.
        >
        >https://www.coursera.org/category/education
        >
        >The courses appear to be presented by university staff and people
        >who complete the course successfully will be sent a certificate
        >according to the blurbs.

      • Susana Canelo
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2013
          Thanks ! It sounds great !!!

          Susana from Argentina

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 2013
            There are also several connectivist MOOCs starting up that might be of
            interest (even if not applicable to Webhead specific teaching areas.
            MOOC MOOC (yes, silly name ~ academics playing word games, but the
            organizers (Hybrid Pedagogy online magazine) are into and serious about
            teaching, digital writing and ed tech, making for significant overlap.
            It uses the Canvas platform (more open than most LMS) and is just one
            week too, with a syllabus that participants are expected to break.
            https://www.canvas.net/courses/mooc-mooc
            <http://https://www.canvas.net/courses/mooc-mooc>
            We'll be taking a look at what MOOCs are, where learning happens in (and
            not in) MOOCs, the idea that participants are pedagogues, how assessment
            happens in MOOCs, and why we're so interested in this latest educational
            strategy.
            Introduction to Complexity,
            http://www.santafe.edu/news/item/announce-mooc/
            <http://www.santafe.edu/news/item/announce-mooc/> and
            http://www.santafe.edu/mooc/subscribe
            <http://http://www.santafe.edu/mooc/subscribe> from Santa Fe
            Institute http://www.santafe.edu <http://www.santafe.edu>
            I can't help thinking (hoping/expecting) that this course should fit
            right into Vance's characterization of coping with overwhelming internet
            information deluge as "intuitively navigating chaos" ~ plus networks.
            #ETMOOC, Alec Couros + crew, educational technology & media,
            http://etmooc.org <http://etmooc.org/> & http://etmooc.org/register
            <http://etmooc.org/register>
            As for Coursera and others (really, C's not the only one), a
            connectivist frame of mind and exposure help: design your own personal
            learning program. Take what you want/need, leave the rest. Don't feel
            guilty about not doing everything or doing just what you want and the
            way you want to do it. Align to your needs, not their expectations.
            I completed one, followed others with varying degrees of engagement and
            have signed for a few more (can't remember names just off hand). Best
            takeaway for me was making connections (outside the clunky platform)
            that ended up starting a lively, international book group because we did
            not want to give up the book talk. That and seeing how not seriously to
            take them.
            Vanessa

          • michaelc@chariot.net.au
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 5, 2013
              John - I'd be very happy to see that conversation take place here.

              - Michael

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 5, 2013
                Just taking the snippets below, from FrenchBob I would say that FORTUNATELY
                these other MOOCs overlap with EVO. This good fortune pertains to the
                MultiMOOC EVO session where we find it useful to have a look at what's
                going on in other MOOCs while conducting ours, and having one going on
                right then is better in many ways than having a look at artifacts left
                online by a MOOC that's over and done, because with a live one you get the
                benefit of experiencing some of the interaction taking place around it.
                Last year, we coincided with Change MOOC, for example.

                I have just Scooped a MOOC which is developed in Canvas and I point out in
                my scoop some of the correspondences (and differences) it might have with
                EVO MultiMOOC, which is a cMOOC
                http://www.scoop.it/t/edumooc/p/3972440584/the-mixably-open-online-course-mooc-part-i-module-structure

                When talking about MOOCs we need to distinguish cMOOCs from xMOOCs. I
                think someone mentioned MOOC MOOC in this thread, as having a syllabus that
                "participants are expected to break." If the syllabus is not sacrosanct,
                but the learning derives from exploring the suggested syllabus in whatever
                direction individual participants want while benefiting from interaction
                with others in the network associated with that MOOC, then this is likely a
                cMOOC (connectivist). Coursera is an example of an xMOOC platform where
                the learning outcome is often expected to be mastery of a set syllabus with
                possibly a certificate at the end ascertaining that the user has met the
                standard.

                MultiMOOC may or not be a true MOOC (in massive terms), but we hope it will
                bring on a discussion of what MOOCs are and their potential for personal
                learning and education in general. Along the way we will speak with Dave
                Cormier, who coined the term MOOC in 2008.

                But today Sunday Jan 6 at 1300 GMT, I will be speaking with MultiMOOC
                co-moderators Ana Cristina Pratas and Tony Gurr (Claire Siskin is sick,
                might need to rest) in the Webheads Elluminate room. The discussion will
                be spontaneous with co-moderators themselves trying to figure out what this
                course will be about. Should be interesting, and if you want to join us
                and help us work out how to proceed with the topic, please do. If you are
                interested, you qualify, and your input into our recording is welcome.

                You can find out more (e.g. the link to join the session) about this and
                other synchronous events we've lined up for MultiMOOC here:
                http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded

                Vance

                Vance Stevens
                http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
                http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 6, 2013
                  me too!

                • katia hameg
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 9, 2013
                    Hi Bob,

                    Thank you for the posting about Coursera courses. As a Montreal-based
                    resident, I have just signed for a few of them. I hope my time table
                    will allow me make it with the EVO 2013 sessions this time.

                    Sincerely,

                    Katia

                    Katia HAMEG
                    MA TESOL