Christmas Hacking

  • Jane Petring
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 25, 2012
      Hi Everyone,
      After a lovely Christmas, I opened my computer to discover my account has
      been hacked or phished or somehow compromised. Please don't open any
      messages that have my name and no subject line. Does anyone have any
      suggestion of what I should do? I changed the password for starters.

      Jane

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 26, 2012
        Hi Jane,

        Change the password for starters. Some time ago Michael Marzio put the
        list on to Avast free antivirus software. I installed it and I've been a
        happy camper ever since.

        Incidentally, sorry list, for sending a message meant for Michael Coghlan,
        who is visiting Myanmar soon.

        Best,
        Vance

        On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Jane Petring <japetring@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi Everyone,
        > After a lovely Christmas, I opened my computer to discover my account has
        > been hacked or phished or somehow compromised. Please don't open any
        > messages that have my name and no subject line. Does anyone have any
        > suggestion of what I should do? I changed the password for starters.
        >
        > Jane

        Vance Stevens
        http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
        http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

      • Karen Siemens
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 26, 2012
          You can also check on who has been accessing your computer.  Where you find that info depends on what kind of email you have.  In Yahoo, it is under Account Info on the tab where you log out.  In the Account Info you'll see Recent Login Activity.  In Gmail, it's down at the bottom on the right hand side of the inbox page.  You may have already done this, but after I got hacked I found it reassuring to check for a few days to see that there had been no further logins from Poland in the middle of the night.

          I did notice that a few of my email addresses that were spammed got a warning and some refused the email.  Now I wish that I had taken note of which providers were so with it but at that moment was too concerned with my linked accounts.  It is so handy to have all my accounts linked, but what if I actually lost of control of my Yahoo account?  A scary thought.  I've been more diligent about not using the same password for important accounts and have unlinked some gmail accounts but I'm still wondering what the best security solution is.

          Karen

        • Dr. Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 27, 2012
            Hi Karen --
            I think the best you can do is have your provider log you out automatically at least once a day (settings in your Account), and also have a fairly complex password that you change once a month or so. I use the first letters of a line from a song I know, plus a number thrown in somewhere. It's easy to remember, and impossible to break. (Don't use your street address, BTW -- it's too easy to look up.) Yahoo has also introduced an account "seal" that lets you identify yourself. I guess it's a good idea, as one of my banks does it too. I do not link my mail to any other accounts, and I don't link to Facebook from any device I own. It's tedious to sign in each time, but safer.
            Thanks for your tips about Yahoo Mail Account Info. I didn't realize you could look up the ICP numbers there as well.
            I guess eternal vigilance and inconvenience are about all we can do.
            --Elizabeth HS

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Karen Siemens <ah_school@...> wrote:

            > You can also check on who has been accessing your computer.  Where you find that info depends on what kind of email you have.  In Yahoo, it is under Account Info on the tab where you log out.  In the Account Info you'll see Recent Login Activity.  In Gmail, it's down at the bottom on the right hand side of the inbox page.  You may have already done this, but after I got hacked I found it reassuring to check for a few days to see that there had been no further logins from Poland in the middle of the night.
            >
            > I did notice that a few of my email addresses that were spammed got a warning and some refused the email.  Now I wish that I had taken note of which providers were so with it but at that moment was too concerned with my linked accounts.  It is so handy to have all my accounts linked, but what if I actually lost of control of my Yahoo account?  A scary thought.  I've been more diligent about not using the same password for important accounts and have unlinked some gmail accounts but I'm still wondering what the best security solution is.
            >
            > Karen

          • Jane Petring
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 29, 2012
              Dear Vance, Karen and Elizabeth,
              Thanks so much for your advice. Everything seems OK for now....Hopefully
              the new year will begin clean and hack-free. Best wishes to all of you!

              Jane