Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Elluminate moderator needed for Sunday 1800 GMT

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
      That's 10 at night in Abu Dhabi. I should be there with time to spare,

      To anyone planning to join us, try to familiarize yourself with the
      following workshop paper

      http://eurocallsigsbologna.weebly.com/uploads/8/7/4/5/8745414/colpaert_bologna_2012_eurocall.pdf

      Vance

      http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

    • John Hibbs
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
        >At 5:27 PM +0400 12/12/12, Vance Stevens wrote
        >To anyone planning to join us, try to familiarize yourself with the
        >following workshop paper

        http://eurocallsigsbologna.weebly.com/uploads/8/7/4/5/8745414/colpaert_bologna_2012_eurocall.pdf

        Vance, Teresa, all Webheads: Once more I salute you for these kinds
        of efforts. There are many things to applaud and encourage. Which I
        would like to do by way of an over-long post:

        1. I love the idea of submitting several days in advance of your
        Sunday meeting an outline such as the url to the pdf you circulated.
        I know that's a tough practice to cause for all or even most of the
        Sunday meetings. And of course the archives can "grow", especially
        with post-Sunday submissions. These are all helpful and encourage
        participation, the submissions and the reminders in my mail box to
        not overlook.

        2. Learning Through Sharing PDF: The particular pieces the kind of
        thing that needs the widest possible distribution. As the author
        notes, the ideas presented may be aimed primarily to language
        learners; but the broader implications are enormous. A great piece
        of work.

        3. This is the kind piece that the many governmental organizations of
        many stripes need to circulate. I suppose by RSS (and its
        counterparts) is one of the better, easier ways to ensure wide
        circulation? (plus all the 'subscribe" tools at hand) (the problem of
        course is overloaded mail boxes). The point here is to explore, and
        use, all those "share" tools you guys all use and talk about so much.
        (See next)

        4. Because I am not much of a Facebook fan, I have not been "open" to
        using FB to gain wider audiences. Dr. Jim Morrison, retired professor
        from the University of North California and editor of wide reaching
        publications for many years, has opened my eyes to how he uses FB.
        Like Vance and me, Jim's an Old Dog too. The difference is that both
        of them adopt easily to learn new tricks. This Old Dog is still
        trying to work the gears on the Model T he bought brand new from
        Henry Ford. Reminders to the us Old Dogs on easier, better tricks to
        learn are always useful.

        Finally, phew....

        5. The "Run Up" to Very Big Events. A zillion times I have
        referenced Sam Johnson's "Nothing concentrates the mind like a
        hanging." In the instant case, I say that "Nothing concentrates the
        mind like an event," Which is why those Sunday meetings are so
        important; to be considered something like the long baseball season
        in America where the 30 teams play 162 games the "regular" season;
        then there are a slew of playoffs; then the World Series. (of course
        the World Cup/soccer does this too.) The point is that the 52 Webhead
        Sunday meetings are very important in and of themselves; but they
        also can be considered as "warm ups" to the major global conferences,
        which in turn may well lead to being on what I consider to be the
        world's biggest stage, most important stage at TED.

        Jim Morrison, what say you?
        P.S. Steve Hargadon does this same kind of thing...so I am sending a
        copy to him

        Steve Hargadon
        <http://www.stevehargadon.com/>
        <http://www.web20labs.com/>