Elluminate moderator needed for Sunday 1400 GMT or possibly later

  • Vance
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 10, 2012
      Hi folks,

      I mentioned in a recent mail that I need help with moderation this Sunday. Teachers are on break in UAE and I'm giving a SCUBA course that I'm expecting to extend into Sunday (normally a work day). In boating it is impossible to control when you are back in port, and the diving takes place 3 hours drive from where I live.

      I have arranged to host Jozef Colpaert in a learning2gether event at 1400 GMT on Sunday:
      http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#Nextupcomingevents

      Jozef is expecting to have an interesting discussion with us of a survey he conducted about OER use among teachers, and I would very much like to be there in person. I am about to write Jozef and ask if he would be willing to give his talk later, like at about 1600 or 1700 GMT. I would most likely be home by then.

      But whether he can change the time or not, given that nature and fate might conspire to delay me, I need a volunteer Elluminate moderator to either take my place with Jozef at 1400 GMT or act as my backup if Jozef can postpone to a later time.

      Is there anybody out there?

      Thanks,
      Vance
    • Vance
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 11, 2012
        Hi everyone,

        Jozef and I have reached an agreement on the latest possible time of 1800 GMT this Sunday Dec 16.

        This should be an interesting session. Jozef has researched educators' attitudes toward OER, written an article which he suggests we read, and is taking the time to discuss it with us, so I wanted to try and find a time when I could be sure and make it.

        1800 GMT is later than usual on Sunday so I hope this will be a chance to pick up friends in the USA and South America when they've had a chance to have their coffee.

        Details including the link to the PDF are here:
        http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#SunDec1620121800GMTJozefColpaertnbspnbspOERsforlanguagelearningandteachingwhydoteachershavemixedfeelings

        Hope to se you there, and if anyone knows they are coming and can moderate in Elluminate, I could still use a backup moderator.

        Vance

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 11, 2012
          Hi Vance!

          I'd be pleased to co-moderate. I'm usually free at that time and was
          planning to attend Josef's session at 15:00, because I can generally
          make it then.

          Hugs, Teresa

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 11, 2012
            Hi Teresa,

            Thanks very much. The presentation was originally scheduled for 14:00 GMT,
            but we've changed it now to 18:00. Is the new time ok for you?

            Incidentally, if there is co-moderator backup, we could do it earlier at
            17:00, but maybe best to leave it as is if possible.

            Vance

            --
            Vance Stevens
            http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
              Let's leave it as it is, 18:00 GMT.

              I'll be there, Vance, hopefully, together with you. :-)

              Hugs, Teresa

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
                That's 10 at night in Abu Dhabi. I should be there with time to spare,

                To anyone planning to join us, try to familiarize yourself with the
                following workshop paper

                http://eurocallsigsbologna.weebly.com/uploads/8/7/4/5/8745414/colpaert_bologna_2012_eurocall.pdf

                Vance

              • John Hibbs
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
                  >At 5:27 PM +0400 12/12/12, Vance Stevens wrote
                  >To anyone planning to join us, try to familiarize yourself with the
                  >following workshop paper

                  http://eurocallsigsbologna.weebly.com/uploads/8/7/4/5/8745414/colpaert_bologna_2012_eurocall.pdf

                  Vance, Teresa, all Webheads: Once more I salute you for these kinds
                  of efforts. There are many things to applaud and encourage. Which I
                  would like to do by way of an over-long post:

                  1. I love the idea of submitting several days in advance of your
                  Sunday meeting an outline such as the url to the pdf you circulated.
                  I know that's a tough practice to cause for all or even most of the
                  Sunday meetings. And of course the archives can "grow", especially
                  with post-Sunday submissions. These are all helpful and encourage
                  participation, the submissions and the reminders in my mail box to
                  not overlook.

                  2. Learning Through Sharing PDF: The particular pieces the kind of
                  thing that needs the widest possible distribution. As the author
                  notes, the ideas presented may be aimed primarily to language
                  learners; but the broader implications are enormous. A great piece
                  of work.

                  3. This is the kind piece that the many governmental organizations of
                  many stripes need to circulate. I suppose by RSS (and its
                  counterparts) is one of the better, easier ways to ensure wide
                  circulation? (plus all the 'subscribe" tools at hand) (the problem of
                  course is overloaded mail boxes). The point here is to explore, and
                  use, all those "share" tools you guys all use and talk about so much.
                  (See next)

                  4. Because I am not much of a Facebook fan, I have not been "open" to
                  using FB to gain wider audiences. Dr. Jim Morrison, retired professor
                  from the University of North California and editor of wide reaching
                  publications for many years, has opened my eyes to how he uses FB.
                  Like Vance and me, Jim's an Old Dog too. The difference is that both
                  of them adopt easily to learn new tricks. This Old Dog is still
                  trying to work the gears on the Model T he bought brand new from
                  Henry Ford. Reminders to the us Old Dogs on easier, better tricks to
                  learn are always useful.

                  Finally, phew....

                  5. The "Run Up" to Very Big Events. A zillion times I have
                  referenced Sam Johnson's "Nothing concentrates the mind like a
                  hanging." In the instant case, I say that "Nothing concentrates the
                  mind like an event," Which is why those Sunday meetings are so
                  important; to be considered something like the long baseball season
                  in America where the 30 teams play 162 games the "regular" season;
                  then there are a slew of playoffs; then the World Series. (of course
                  the World Cup/soccer does this too.) The point is that the 52 Webhead
                  Sunday meetings are very important in and of themselves; but they
                  also can be considered as "warm ups" to the major global conferences,
                  which in turn may well lead to being on what I consider to be the
                  world's biggest stage, most important stage at TED.

                  Jim Morrison, what say you?
                  P.S. Steve Hargadon does this same kind of thing...so I am sending a
                  copy to him

                  Steve Hargadon
                  <http://www.stevehargadon.com/>
                  <http://www.web20labs.com/>