Student Centered Learning model, Avenues, The World School

  • Andrew Pincon
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2012
      To all my Webhead Colleagues:

      I participated in a live webinar today with the Director of Technology of a new
      $60 Million K-12 school in Manhattan, NY, Avenues, The World School. I was
      principally interested in the underlying technology that went into this new
      education experiment that grew out of experiences learned from the Edison
      Learning Initiatives in New York and the U.K.,
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EdisonLearning

      As most of you know, I don't usually comment in our daily Webhead postings, but
      given the wide range of technology experience of our unique Community of
      Practice of Webheads, I thought I would share two videos on this unique new
      education model, Avenues, the World School, with my Webhead friends. Over the
      past ten or more years many of us have commiserated over the bureaucratic
      roadblocks and challenges we all have faced within our respective institutions.
      I have often lost all hope of every seeing any significant improvement in
      education outcomes from within my own institution in Chicago given the
      entrenched bureaucracy at City Colleges.

      And so as I prepare to retire from trying to grind down my own professional
      mountain of bureaucracy in Chicago and Illinois, and move onto smaller hills
      which I can grind down in Wisconsin, I found Avenues' vision, philosophy and
      practical teaching and administrative education experience hopefully as they
      move 7,400 New York students into the new paradigm of "Student Centered
      Learning". Here are two videos that give more details on how they view
      education for a 21st Digitally Global Society of Digital Natives.

      Avenues, The World School Intro Video:
      http://www.avenues.org/introductory-video

      and A School of One by Avenues' founders and principal faculty:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQmyaFAdats

      Avenues is opening schools in London, Sao Paulo and Bejing for those Webhead
      professionals who may be interested in applying for teaching positions. I think
      most Webheads have a leg up in getting on board with this new paradigm given the
      depth of technology expertise Webheads have mastered.

      Best Regards
      Andrew Pinçon
      Executive Director
      Digital Workforce Education Society
      An Illinois Entrepreneurship Network Affiliate
      Wright College Humboldt Park Vocational Education Center
      pincon@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2012
        Dear Andy,

        How nice to read a message from you and about such an interesting and
        exciting project! Thank you for sharing.

        I watched both videos and will be looking more in depth into the site.
        Just wish I could apply. < sigh >

        Hugs, Teresa