Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Trace Effects

  • John Hibbs
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 4, 2012
      1. Not snipped because, Vance Stevens, your post (below) is just
      plain off-the-wall brilliant. Worth re-reading --- about ten times.
      Vance: Don't blush. That's the full, unvarnished, absolute fact.
      (Ask me in a month if I can crack the walnut you have presented?)

      2. Also not snipped because I want to share it with folks not on the
      Webheads list; and encourage them to join. (Name one other group
      that comes within a long country mile of the collective intelligence
      that of the Webheads membership! While at it, name one other "group"
      that could have more long term impact on the future of the whole
      entire planet than those teaching ESL in classrooms a long way from
      their native country.)
      http://www.webheadsinaction.org/

      3. Continually, Vance you remind me of JFK's quip at a White House
      celebration of Nobel Prize winners.--- Take a moment to read JFK's
      remarks.
      http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=8623

      4. RELO ?? Something to do with this?
      http://relo.csail.mit.edu/ -- or more likely --->>> this --->>>
      Regional English Language Office

      P.S. I did snip a wee bit. It's all great stuff! And has, I sense,
      application well outside the ESL/EFL arena. Webhead pointers to how
      and where would be helpful! (Remember, I'm just the barker outside
      the ESL tent.)

      P.P.S. Vance, that video on your blog (Inspire Young People) -- did
      all this come out of the Race to the Top Obama initiative? If you
      have not read The New New Deal by Michael Grunwald, you should.)

      Cheers
      John Hibbs
      http://oregonhibbs.com

      At 3:17 PM +0400 12/4/12, Vance Stevens wrote:

      >Trace Effects is a game developed by and available for free from the US
      >Dept. of State. It's prime developer is himself a Webhead, RELO Rick
      >Rosenberg. And the speaker today, Dawn Bilkowski, is also a recent member
      >of the Webheads list. The game is about a young college freshman Trace who
      >lives in the future and presses one too many buttons on a time machine
      >being developed there, and finds himself thrust into the present (his
      >past). As he leaves his temporal zone, his peers manage to send a message
      >down to the present that he must find a certain person who can help him
      >return, or he must stay there (I mean here, with us).
      >
      >This game is designed to teach American culture and friendliness, to
      >succeed players must collaborate with others in the game, and helpful,
      >polite behavior is rewarded. The game interface has a Second Life
      >immersive feel to it. Passing near other characters allows you to overhear
      >their conversations and piece clues together. Passing over certain points
      >in the game empower you with verbs which you can match with items in your
      >inventory to interact with people in the game. The vocabulary and language
      >complexity build from simple in the beginning of the game to more complex
      >as the game progresses.
      >
      >The game is free (as in beer), is accessible online or via DVD, and comes
      >with a heck of a lot of teaching materials. This is what makes it unique.
      > I've been trying to make a case for using Minecraft where I work but there
      >are budgetary constraints and washback from people who think this departs
      >from the curriculum (it's not in the curriculum, the curriculum is in IT!).
      > Trace Effects comes with a huge infusion of ready-made association with
      >language learning and supporting materials already built-in, most available
      >at http://traceeffects.ning.com/ (haven't found the comix yet, must be on
      >the DVD).
      >
      >Getting down to why I bring this up today, at that Ning you will find
      >information about the webinars:
      >http://traceeffects.ning.com/page/webinar-materials. The first one was by
      >Rick and he went over game basics and how you get you and your students
      >involved, and over-viewed the wealth of resources created for this game.
      > The link to the recording is linked there, and also to the session by Dawn
      >to be given twice today. I put the GMT / time where you are links at
      >http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#Nextupcomingevents
      >
      >I've blogged about the game here
      >http://toolkit4learning.blogspot.com/2012/12/trace-effects-gaming-meets-pedagogy-for.html
      >
      >If you teach ESOL I encourage you to have a look at it, as this would
      >expand the community of users and perhaps lead us into what I consider the
      >next step, developing a community of students learning ESOL through
      >Minecraft. Before Trace Effects came along, I was treating THAT as the
      >first step, and not getting very far. Trace Effects may well be the
> [...]
    • Dr. Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 4, 2012
        Dawn Bilkowski did a great job presenting Trace Effects this afternoon -- I just happened on the event as it was starting, so thanks for the heads up, Vance.
        I worked with Trace, writing scripts last year, so I am delighted to see it so fully developed and elaborated, with lots of teaching materials. I'm really looking forward to the further sessions on Dec. 18 and Jan 15, too. Please pass on the reminders nearer the time.
        Trace Effects is an online and DVD interactive game for learning English. Trace is a university student from the future and visits many parts of the U.S. It really could be the basis for a whole class in EFL. Hope you all have a chance to see it -- it's free and freely copyable!
        http://traceeffects.ning.com
        Teaching materials at http://americanenglish.state.gov
        Cheers--
        --Elizabeth

> [...]
        > Rick and he went over game basics and how you get you and your students
        > involved, and over-viewed the wealth of resources created for this game.
        > The link to the recording is linked there, and also to the session by Dawn
        > to be given twice today. I put the GMT / time where you are links at
        > http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#Nextupcomingevents
        >
        > I've blogged about the game here
        > http://toolkit4learning.blogspot.com/2012/12/trace-effects-gaming-meets-pedagogy-for.html
        >
        > If you teach ESOL I encourage you to have a look at it, as this would
        > expand the community of users and perhaps lead us into what I consider the
        > next step, developing a community of students learning ESOL through
        > Minecraft. Before Trace Effects came along, I was treating THAT as the
        > first step, and not getting very far. Trace Effects may well be the

      • Carla arena
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 4, 2012
          teaching!

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012
            Thanks for the comments on this thread. Carla takes the prize for solving
            the riddle, English Teaching Forum.

            I have put information about the next event for Trace Effects here
            http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#TuesdayDec18DeborahHealeyonTraceEffects

            It will pop to the top after our Learning2gether event with Jozef Colpaert
            on Dec 16. That should be an interesting one btw, on why teachers have
            mixed feelings about OER. There is a paper to read and some issues to
            reflect on, links here:
            http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#SunDec1620121400GMTJozefColpaertnbspnbspOERsforlanguagelearningandteachingwhydoteachershavemixedfeelings

            Elizabeth, I am finding that so many webheads are involved in Trace
            Effects, not surprisingly. Can you give us some background on it? I
            stated that Rick Rosenberg is the "prime developer" but is that accurate?
            Also, I went to the site http://americanenglish.state.gov but didn't see
            teaching materials there. I think these are at the Ning
            http://traceeffects.ning.com/. What I'm looking for are the comics. Are
            these online anywhere? I think they might just be on the DVD.

            John thanks for your comments and for pointing to the presidents site. You
            and Dan Bassill were talking recently about leadership on this list. I was
            busy at the time and then time for reply passed, but I meant to point out
            the the book that I think best captures the quality of good leadership is
            Tribes by Seth Godin. (there, scratched that itch).

            All the best,
            Vance

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012
              Vance is used to babysitting me, so this whine won't be new to him. Apologies.

              But, when I went to traceeffets.ning.com and tried to "sign in"
              http://traceeffects.ning.com/main/authorization/signUp?
              I could not "pass" the "test"

              Please Fill in the Blank: English _______ Forum (Hint: forum.state.gov)

              Then I could not pass the Google two-word "test" to repeat the images
              that were shown.

              After four or five times with each test, I then went through the
              password hoops.

              And, here I am, whining, whining, whining.

              P.S. Vance, you did mention Tribes to me...it's on my Wish List. One
              more unread book on my nightstand and the load will break the legs.

              snip snip

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012
                The missing word is Teaching (might be case sensitive)

                *V*

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012
                  Nina and Carla--
                  I think the entry key word at the DoS Ning has to be capitalized: Teaching
                  --Elizabeth

                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Carla arena <carlaarena@...> wrote:

                  > teaching!
                  >

                  > On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Nina Liakos <nina.liakos@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > How are you supposed to answer this questions?
                  > > Please correctly answer "Please Fill in the Blank: English _______ Forum
                  > > (Hint: forum.state.gov)".
                • Hala Fawzi
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 6, 2012
                    Dear Webheads,
                    I would like to congratulate two newly PhD holders: Dr. Cristina Costa and Dr. Ronlado Lima.
                    Well done, and hearty congratulations!
                    Hala.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 6, 2012
                      Dear Cristina and Ronaldo,

                      Heartfelt congrats to you!! And all the best in new ventures that will
                      definitely come along. :-)

                      Beijinhos, Teresa

                    • nina.lyulkun@gmail.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 6, 2012
                        Congratulations !!!

                        Dear Cristina and Ronaldo,

                        Best wishes!!! We are proud of your accomplishments!

                        {{{{{{BIG HUG}}}}}}}

                        **

                        *Nina A.Lyulkun*

                        Khmelnitskiy National University <http://www.khnu.km.ua/root/default.htm>

                        Mobile: (+38)067 9334574
                        [image: Blogger] <http://tesol-ua.blogspot.com/> [image:
                        Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572760950> [image:
                        Google Plus] <https://plus.google.com/117218005724095778971> [image:
                        Twitter] <http://twitter.com/#%21/nagora> [image:
                        VKontakte]<http://vkontakte.ru/id17326732>
                        [image: Skype] nagora60

                        On 6 December 2012 20:14, Teresa Almeida d'Eca <teresadeca@...> wrote:

                        > Dear Cristina and Ronaldo,
                        >
                        > Heartfelt congrats to you!! And all the best in new ventures that will
                        > definitely come along. :-)
                        >
                        > Beijinhos, Teresa

                      • Holly Dilatush
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 6, 2012
                          Woo-hoo!!!!!

                          Congratulations Drs. Costa and Lima!
                          Smiles from Virginia, USA,
                          Holly

                          On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Hala Fawzi <haloolahakema@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > Dear Webheads,
                          > I would like to congratulate two newly PhD holders: Dr. Cristina Costa and
                          > Dr. Ronlado Lima.
                          > Well done, and hearty congratulations!
                          > Hala.

                        • Aiden
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 6, 2012
                            I already said my 'congratulations' to Cris on FB, but worth repeating it here. I didnt know that ronaldo was doing his studies as well- a big hug and pat on the back to you Ronaldo for finishing the phd race. I'm very happy that you both passed the viva.

                            Well done!

                            Aiden
                            Wenzao Ursuline College of Languages
                            Twitter: motherchina
                            Skype: aidenyeh
                            Viber, Line, Tango: +886938392852

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            On 2012/12/7, at 2:07, Hala Fawzi <haloolahakema@...> wrote:

                            > Dear Webheads,
                            > I would like to congratulate two newly PhD holders: Dr. Cristina Costa and Dr. Ronlado Lima.
                            > Well done, and hearty congratulations!
                            > Hala.

                          • Maria Rosario Di Mónaco
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 6, 2012
                              That's great news! Congrats to dear Cristina and Ronaldo!
                              Mary

                              On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Teresa Almeida d'Eca
                              <teresadeca@...>wrote:

                              > **
                              >

                              > Dear Cristina and Ronaldo,
                              >
                              > Heartfelt congrats to you!! And all the best in new ventures that will
                              > definitely come along. :-)
                              >
                              > Beijinhos, Teresa
                              >

                              > On 06-12-2012 18:07, Hala Fawzi wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Dear Webheads,
                              > > I would like to congratulate two newly PhD holders: Dr. Cristina Costa
                              > > and Dr. Ronlado Lima.
                              > > Well done, and hearty congratulations!
                              > > Hala.

                            • Ronaldo Lima Jr
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 6, 2012
                                Thank you, guys, for the kind words, and congratulations again, Cristina!

                                This probably explains why I have been a little away from the virtual world for the past few (many, actually!) months, but I'm eager to resume my digital projects!

                                All the best from Brazil,

                                Ronaldo

                                On 06/12/2012, at 17:20, "nina.lyulkun@..." <nina.lyulkun@...> wrote:

                                > Congratulations !!!
                                >
                                > Dear Cristina and Ronaldo,
                                >
                                > Best wishes!!! We are proud of your accomplishments!
                                >
                                > {{{{{{BIG HUG}}}}}}}
                                >
                                > **
                                >
                                > *Nina A.Lyulkun*
                                >
                                > Khmelnitskiy National University <http://www.khnu.km.ua/root/default.htm>
                                >
                                > Mobile: (+38)067 9334574
                                > [image: Blogger] <http://tesol-ua.blogspot.com/> [image:
                                > Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572760950> [image:
                                > Google Plus] <https://plus.google.com/117218005724095778971> [image:
                                > Twitter] <http://twitter.com/#%21/nagora> [image:
                                > VKontakte]<http://vkontakte.ru/id17326732>
                                > [image: Skype] nagora60
                                >
                                > On 6 December 2012 20:14, Teresa Almeida d'Eca <teresadeca@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Dear Cristina and Ronaldo,
                                > >
                                > > Heartfelt congrats to you!! And all the best in new ventures that will
                                > > definitely come along. :-)
                                > >
                                > > Beijinhos, Teresa

                              • Squires, Robert
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
                                  I'd like to add my congrats to Cristina and Ronaldo as well. Well done!

                                  Robert

                                  On 06/12/2012, at 17:20, "nina.lyulkun@...<mailto:nina.lyulkun%40gmail.com>" <nina.lyulkun@...<mailto:nina.lyulkun%40gmail.com>> wrote:

                                  > Congratulations !!!
                                  >
                                  > Dear Cristina and Ronaldo,
                                  >
                                  > Best wishes!!! We are proud of your accomplishments!
                                  >
                                  > {{{{{{BIG HUG}}}}}}}
                                  >
                                  > **
                                  >
                                  > *Nina A.Lyulkun*
                                  >
                                  > Khmelnitskiy National University <http://www.khnu.km.ua/root/default.htm>
                                  >
                                  > Mobile: (+38)067 9334574
                                  > [image: Blogger] <http://tesol-ua.blogspot.com/> [image:
                                  > Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572760950> [image:
                                  > Google Plus] <https://plus.google.com/117218005724095778971> [image:
                                  > Twitter] <http://twitter.com/#%21/nagora> [image:
                                  > VKontakte]<http://vkontakte.ru/id17326732>
                                  > [image: Skype] nagora60
                                  >
                                  > On 6 December 2012 20:14, Teresa Almeida d'Eca <teresadeca@...<mailto:teresadeca%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Dear Cristina and Ronaldo,
                                  > >
                                  > > Heartfelt congrats to you!! And all the best in new ventures that will
                                  > > definitely come along. :-)
                                  > >
                                  > > Beijinhos, Teresa

                                • Susana Canelo
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
                                    I add myself to the celebration !! Two members of our family are PhD holders !!
                                    Claps for both of them !

                                    Hugs from Argentina

                                    Susana

                                    ________________________________
                                    I already said my 'congratulations' to Cris on FB, but worth repeating it here. I didnt know that ronaldo was doing his studies as well- a big hug and pat on the back to you Ronaldo for finishing the phd race. I'm very happy that you both passed the viva.

                                    Well done!

                                    Aiden
                                    Wenzao Ursuline College of Languages
                                    Twitter: motherchina
                                    Skype: aidenyeh
                                    Viber, Line, Tango: +886938392852

                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                    On 2012/12/7, at 2:07, Hala Fawzi <haloolahakema@...> wrote:

                                    > Dear Webheads,
                                    > I would like to congratulate two newly PhD holders: Dr. Cristina Costa and Dr. Ronlado Lima.
                                    > Well done, and hearty congratulations!
                                    > Hala.

                                  • Lawan Dalha
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
                                      Morning dear webheads,

                                      Congratulations to Dr Ronaldo and Dr Cristina for your new achievement. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

                                      Best
                                      Lawan

                                      Lawan Dalha

                                    • Cora
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 8, 2012
                                        Congratulations to Dr.Cristina Costa and Dr. Ronlado Lima!!!

                                        Cora :-)))

                                        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Hala Fawzi <haloolahakema@...> wrote:

                                        > Dear Webheads,
                                        > I would like to congratulate two newly PhD holders: Dr. Cristina Costa and Dr. Ronlado Lima.
                                        > Well done, and hearty congratulations!
                                        > Hala.

                                      • Nina Liakos
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 8, 2012
                                          Warm congratulations to Ronaldo and Cristina! What an achievement!
                                          Nina in Maryland

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 8, 2012
                                            Let me add one belated congratulations to doctors Cristina and Ronaldo

                                            and top that with an invitation to please join us on
                                            http://learning2gether.pbworks.com to discuss with us your research.

                                            Vance

                                            On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Nina Liakos <nina.liakos@...> wrote:

                                            > **
                                            >

                                            > Warm congratulations to Ronaldo and Cristina! What an achievement!
                                            > Nina in Maryland
                                            >

                                            > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Hala Fawzi <haloolahakema@...>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Dear Webheads,
                                            > > I would like to congratulate two newly PhD holders: Dr. Cristina Costa
                                            > and Dr. Ronaldo Lima.
                                            >
                                            > > Well done, and hearty congratulations!
                                            > > Hala.

                                            > --
                                            Vance Stevens
                                            http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
                                            http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

                                          • Derya Kulavuz-Onal
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 9, 2012
                                              Woohooo! That's wonderful news!! Congratulations, Dr. Costa and Dr. Lima!

                                              Derya Kulavuz-Onal
                                              Doctoral Candidate, SLAIT
                                              Grad. TA, WLE / ESOL Education
                                              University of South Florida
                                              33620, Tampa, FL

                                            • Maryanne
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Dec 11, 2012
                                                Congratulations to Cristina and Ronaldo for their daunting accomplishment.