Trace Effects

    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 4, 2012
      Hi all,

      I almost forgot to follow up on this allusion in my last message
      'Tomorrow Tues there is an interesting event around Trace Effects. I'll
      write another post about it.'

      Tomorrow is today already and this event happens in a few hours (but is
      then repeated later today :-)

      Trace Effects is a game developed by and available for free from the US
      Dept. of State. It's prime developer is himself a Webhead, RELO Rick
      Rosenberg. And the speaker today, Dawn Bilkowski, is also a recent member
      of the Webheads list. The game is about a young college freshman Trace who
      lives in the future and presses one too many buttons on a time machine
      being developed there, and finds himself thrust into the present (his
      past). As he leaves his temporal zone, his peers manage to send a message
      down to the present that he must find a certain person who can help him
      return, or he must stay there (I mean here, with us).

      This game is designed to teach American culture and friendliness, to
      succeed players must collaborate with others in the game, and helpful,
      polite behavior is rewarded. The game interface has a Second Life
      immersive feel to it. Passing near other characters allows you to overhear
      their conversations and piece clues together. Passing over certain points
      in the game empower you with verbs which you can match with items in your
      inventory to interact with people in the game. The vocabulary and language
      complexity build from simple in the beginning of the game to more complex
      as the game progresses.

      The game is free (as in beer), is accessible online or via DVD, and comes
      with a heck of a lot of teaching materials. This is what makes it unique.
      I've been trying to make a case for using Minecraft where I work but there
      are budgetary constraints and washback from people who think this departs
      from the curriculum (it's not in the curriculum, the curriculum is in IT!).
      Trace Effects comes with a huge infusion of ready-made association with
      language learning and supporting materials already built-in, most available
      at http://traceeffects.ning.com/ (haven't found the comix yet, must be on
      the DVD).

      Getting down to why I bring this up today, at that Ning you will find
      information about the webinars:
      http://traceeffects.ning.com/page/webinar-materials. The first one was by
      Rick and he went over game basics and how you get you and your students
      involved, and over-viewed the wealth of resources created for this game.
      The link to the recording is linked there, and also to the session by Dawn
      to be given twice today. I put the GMT / time where you are links at
      http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#Nextupcomingevents

      I've blogged about the game here
      http://toolkit4learning.blogspot.com/2012/12/trace-effects-gaming-meets-pedagogy-for.html

      If you teach ESOL I encourage you to have a look at it, as this would
      expand the community of users and perhaps lead us into what I consider the
      next step, developing a community of students learning ESOL through
      Minecraft. Before Trace Effects came along, I was treating THAT as the
      first step, and not getting very far. Trace Effects may well be the
      missing link entry point.

      Looking forward to your comments,

      Vance Stevens
      http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
      http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

    • Nina Liakos
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 4, 2012
        How are you supposed to answer this questions?
        Please correctly answer �Please Fill in the Blank: English _______ Forum
        (Hint: forum.state.gov)�.

      • John Hibbs
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 4, 2012
          1. Not snipped because, Vance Stevens, your post (below) is just
          plain off-the-wall brilliant. Worth re-reading --- about ten times.
          Vance: Don't blush. That's the full, unvarnished, absolute fact.
          (Ask me in a month if I can crack the walnut you have presented?)

          2. Also not snipped because I want to share it with folks not on the
          Webheads list; and encourage them to join. (Name one other group
          that comes within a long country mile of the collective intelligence
          that of the Webheads membership! While at it, name one other "group"
          that could have more long term impact on the future of the whole
          entire planet than those teaching ESL in classrooms a long way from
          their native country.)
          http://www.webheadsinaction.org/

          3. Continually, Vance you remind me of JFK's quip at a White House
          celebration of Nobel Prize winners.--- Take a moment to read JFK's
          remarks.
          http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=8623

          4. RELO ?? Something to do with this?
          http://relo.csail.mit.edu/ -- or more likely --->>> this --->>>
          Regional English Language Office

          P.S. I did snip a wee bit. It's all great stuff! And has, I sense,
          application well outside the ESL/EFL arena. Webhead pointers to how
          and where would be helpful! (Remember, I'm just the barker outside
          the ESL tent.)

          P.P.S. Vance, that video on your blog (Inspire Young People) -- did
          all this come out of the Race to the Top Obama initiative? If you
          have not read The New New Deal by Michael Grunwald, you should.)

          Cheers
          John Hibbs
          http://oregonhibbs.com

          At 3:17 PM +0400 12/4/12, Vance Stevens wrote:

> [...]
          >Rick and he went over game basics and how you get you and your students
          >involved, and over-viewed the wealth of resources created for this game.
          > The link to the recording is linked there, and also to the session by Dawn
          >to be given twice today. I put the GMT / time where you are links at
          >http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#Nextupcomingevents
          >
          >I've blogged about the game here
          >http://toolkit4learning.blogspot.com/2012/12/trace-effects-gaming-meets-pedagogy-for.html
          >
          >If you teach ESOL I encourage you to have a look at it, as this would
          >expand the community of users and perhaps lead us into what I consider the
          >next step, developing a community of students learning ESOL through
          >Minecraft. Before Trace Effects came along, I was treating THAT as the
          >first step, and not getting very far. Trace Effects may well be the

        • Dr. Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 4, 2012
            Dawn Bilkowski did a great job presenting Trace Effects this afternoon -- I just happened on the event as it was starting, so thanks for the heads up, Vance.
            I worked with Trace, writing scripts last year, so I am delighted to see it so fully developed and elaborated, with lots of teaching materials. I'm really looking forward to the further sessions on Dec. 18 and Jan 15, too. Please pass on the reminders nearer the time.
            Trace Effects is an online and DVD interactive game for learning English. Trace is a university student from the future and visits many parts of the U.S. It really could be the basis for a whole class in EFL. Hope you all have a chance to see it -- it's free and freely copyable!
            http://traceeffects.ning.com
            Teaching materials at http://americanenglish.state.gov
            Cheers--
            --Elizabeth

> [...]
            > Rick and he went over game basics and how you get you and your students
            > involved, and over-viewed the wealth of resources created for this game.
            > The link to the recording is linked there, and also to the session by Dawn
            > to be given twice today. I put the GMT / time where you are links at
            > http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#Nextupcomingevents
            >
            > I've blogged about the game here
            > http://toolkit4learning.blogspot.com/2012/12/trace-effects-gaming-meets-pedagogy-for.html
            >
            > If you teach ESOL I encourage you to have a look at it, as this would
            > expand the community of users and perhaps lead us into what I consider the
            > next step, developing a community of students learning ESOL through
            > Minecraft. Before Trace Effects came along, I was treating THAT as the
            > first step, and not getting very far. Trace Effects may well be the

          • Carla arena
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 4, 2012
              teaching!

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012
                Thanks for the comments on this thread. Carla takes the prize for solving
                the riddle, English Teaching Forum.

                I have put information about the next event for Trace Effects here
                http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#TuesdayDec18DeborahHealeyonTraceEffects

                It will pop to the top after our Learning2gether event with Jozef Colpaert
                on Dec 16. That should be an interesting one btw, on why teachers have
                mixed feelings about OER. There is a paper to read and some issues to
                reflect on, links here:
                http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#SunDec1620121400GMTJozefColpaertnbspnbspOERsforlanguagelearningandteachingwhydoteachershavemixedfeelings

                Elizabeth, I am finding that so many webheads are involved in Trace
                Effects, not surprisingly. Can you give us some background on it? I
                stated that Rick Rosenberg is the "prime developer" but is that accurate?
                Also, I went to the site http://americanenglish.state.gov but didn't see
                teaching materials there. I think these are at the Ning
                http://traceeffects.ning.com/. What I'm looking for are the comics. Are
                these online anywhere? I think they might just be on the DVD.

                John thanks for your comments and for pointing to the presidents site. You
                and Dan Bassill were talking recently about leadership on this list. I was
                busy at the time and then time for reply passed, but I meant to point out
                the the book that I think best captures the quality of good leadership is
                Tribes by Seth Godin. (there, scratched that itch).

                All the best,
                Vance

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012
                  Vance is used to babysitting me, so this whine won't be new to him. Apologies.

                  But, when I went to traceeffets.ning.com and tried to "sign in"
                  http://traceeffects.ning.com/main/authorization/signUp?
                  I could not "pass" the "test"

                  Please Fill in the Blank: English _______ Forum (Hint: forum.state.gov)

                  Then I could not pass the Google two-word "test" to repeat the images
                  that were shown.

                  After four or five times with each test, I then went through the
                  password hoops.

                  And, here I am, whining, whining, whining.

                  P.S. Vance, you did mention Tribes to me...it's on my Wish List. One
                  more unread book on my nightstand and the load will break the legs.

                  snip snip

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012
                    The missing word is Teaching (might be case sensitive)

                    *V*

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012
                      Nina and Carla--
                      I think the entry key word at the DoS Ning has to be capitalized: Teaching
                      --Elizabeth

                      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Carla arena <carlaarena@...> wrote:

                      > teaching!
                      >

                      > On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Nina Liakos <nina.liakos@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > How are you supposed to answer this questions?
                      > > Please correctly answer "Please Fill in the Blank: English _______ Forum
                      > > (Hint: forum.state.gov)".
                    • Hala Fawzi
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 6, 2012
                        Dear Webheads,
                        I would like to congratulate two newly PhD holders: Dr. Cristina Costa and Dr. Ronlado Lima.
                        Well done, and hearty congratulations!
                        Hala.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 6, 2012
                          Dear Cristina and Ronaldo,

                          Heartfelt congrats to you!! And all the best in new ventures that will
                          definitely come along. :-)

                          Beijinhos, Teresa

                        • nina.lyulkun@gmail.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 6, 2012
                            Congratulations !!!

                            Dear Cristina and Ronaldo,

                            Best wishes!!! We are proud of your accomplishments!

                            {{{{{{BIG HUG}}}}}}}

                            **

                            *Nina A.Lyulkun*

                            Khmelnitskiy National University <http://www.khnu.km.ua/root/default.htm>

                            Mobile: (+38)067 9334574
                            [image: Blogger] <http://tesol-ua.blogspot.com/> [image:
                            Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572760950> [image:
                            Google Plus] <https://plus.google.com/117218005724095778971> [image:
                            Twitter] <http://twitter.com/#%21/nagora> [image:
                            VKontakte]<http://vkontakte.ru/id17326732>
                            [image: Skype] nagora60

                            On 6 December 2012 20:14, Teresa Almeida d'Eca <teresadeca@...> wrote:

                            > Dear Cristina and Ronaldo,
                            >
                            > Heartfelt congrats to you!! And all the best in new ventures that will
                            > definitely come along. :-)
                            >
                            > Beijinhos, Teresa

                          • Holly Dilatush
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 6, 2012
                              Woo-hoo!!!!!

                              Congratulations Drs. Costa and Lima!
                              Smiles from Virginia, USA,
                              Holly

                              On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Hala Fawzi <haloolahakema@...> wrote:

                              > **
                              >

                              > Dear Webheads,
                              > I would like to congratulate two newly PhD holders: Dr. Cristina Costa and
                              > Dr. Ronlado Lima.
                              > Well done, and hearty congratulations!
                              > Hala.

                            • Aiden
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 6, 2012
                                I already said my 'congratulations' to Cris on FB, but worth repeating it here. I didnt know that ronaldo was doing his studies as well- a big hug and pat on the back to you Ronaldo for finishing the phd race. I'm very happy that you both passed the viva.

                                Well done!

                                Aiden
                                Wenzao Ursuline College of Languages
                                Twitter: motherchina
                                Skype: aidenyeh
                                Viber, Line, Tango: +886938392852

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                On 2012/12/7, at 2:07, Hala Fawzi <haloolahakema@...> wrote:

                                > Dear Webheads,
                                > I would like to congratulate two newly PhD holders: Dr. Cristina Costa and Dr. Ronlado Lima.
                                > Well done, and hearty congratulations!
                                > Hala.

                              • Maria Rosario Di Mónaco
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 6, 2012
                                  That's great news! Congrats to dear Cristina and Ronaldo!
                                  Mary

                                  On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Teresa Almeida d'Eca
                                  <teresadeca@...>wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > Dear Cristina and Ronaldo,
                                  >
                                  > Heartfelt congrats to you!! And all the best in new ventures that will
                                  > definitely come along. :-)
                                  >
                                  > Beijinhos, Teresa
                                  >

                                  > On 06-12-2012 18:07, Hala Fawzi wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Dear Webheads,
                                  > > I would like to congratulate two newly PhD holders: Dr. Cristina Costa
                                  > > and Dr. Ronlado Lima.
                                  > > Well done, and hearty congratulations!
                                  > > Hala.

                                • Ronaldo Lima Jr
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 6, 2012
                                    Thank you, guys, for the kind words, and congratulations again, Cristina!

                                    This probably explains why I have been a little away from the virtual world for the past few (many, actually!) months, but I'm eager to resume my digital projects!

                                    All the best from Brazil,

                                    Ronaldo

                                    On 06/12/2012, at 17:20, "nina.lyulkun@..." <nina.lyulkun@...> wrote:

                                    > Congratulations !!!
                                    >
                                    > Dear Cristina and Ronaldo,
                                    >
                                    > Best wishes!!! We are proud of your accomplishments!
                                    >
                                    > {{{{{{BIG HUG}}}}}}}
                                    >
                                    > **
                                    >
                                    > *Nina A.Lyulkun*
                                    >
                                    > Khmelnitskiy National University <http://www.khnu.km.ua/root/default.htm>
                                    >
                                    > Mobile: (+38)067 9334574
                                    > [image: Blogger] <http://tesol-ua.blogspot.com/> [image:
                                    > Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572760950> [image:
                                    > Google Plus] <https://plus.google.com/117218005724095778971> [image:
                                    > Twitter] <http://twitter.com/#%21/nagora> [image:
                                    > VKontakte]<http://vkontakte.ru/id17326732>
                                    > [image: Skype] nagora60
                                    >
                                    > On 6 December 2012 20:14, Teresa Almeida d'Eca <teresadeca@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Dear Cristina and Ronaldo,
                                    > >
                                    > > Heartfelt congrats to you!! And all the best in new ventures that will
                                    > > definitely come along. :-)
                                    > >
                                    > > Beijinhos, Teresa

                                  • Squires, Robert
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
                                      I'd like to add my congrats to Cristina and Ronaldo as well. Well done!

                                      Robert

                                      On 06/12/2012, at 17:20, "nina.lyulkun@...<mailto:nina.lyulkun%40gmail.com>" <nina.lyulkun@...<mailto:nina.lyulkun%40gmail.com>> wrote:

                                      > Congratulations !!!
                                      >
                                      > Dear Cristina and Ronaldo,
                                      >
                                      > Best wishes!!! We are proud of your accomplishments!
                                      >
                                      > {{{{{{BIG HUG}}}}}}}
                                      >
                                      > **
                                      >
                                      > *Nina A.Lyulkun*
                                      >
                                      > Khmelnitskiy National University <http://www.khnu.km.ua/root/default.htm>
                                      >
                                      > Mobile: (+38)067 9334574
                                      > [image: Blogger] <http://tesol-ua.blogspot.com/> [image:
                                      > Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572760950> [image:
                                      > Google Plus] <https://plus.google.com/117218005724095778971> [image:
                                      > Twitter] <http://twitter.com/#%21/nagora> [image:
                                      > VKontakte]<http://vkontakte.ru/id17326732>
                                      > [image: Skype] nagora60
                                      >
                                      > On 6 December 2012 20:14, Teresa Almeida d'Eca <teresadeca@...<mailto:teresadeca%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Dear Cristina and Ronaldo,
                                      > >
                                      > > Heartfelt congrats to you!! And all the best in new ventures that will
                                      > > definitely come along. :-)
                                      > >
                                      > > Beijinhos, Teresa

                                    • Susana Canelo
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
                                        I add myself to the celebration !! Two members of our family are PhD holders !!
                                        Claps for both of them !

                                        Hugs from Argentina

                                        Susana

                                        ________________________________
                                        I already said my 'congratulations' to Cris on FB, but worth repeating it here. I didnt know that ronaldo was doing his studies as well- a big hug and pat on the back to you Ronaldo for finishing the phd race. I'm very happy that you both passed the viva.

                                        Well done!

                                        Aiden
                                        Wenzao Ursuline College of Languages
                                        Twitter: motherchina
                                        Skype: aidenyeh
                                        Viber, Line, Tango: +886938392852

                                        Sent from my iPhone

                                        On 2012/12/7, at 2:07, Hala Fawzi <haloolahakema@...> wrote:

                                        > Dear Webheads,
                                        > I would like to congratulate two newly PhD holders: Dr. Cristina Costa and Dr. Ronlado Lima.
                                        > Well done, and hearty congratulations!
                                        > Hala.

                                      • Lawan Dalha
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
                                          Morning dear webheads,

                                          Congratulations to Dr Ronaldo and Dr Cristina for your new achievement. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

                                          Best
                                          Lawan

                                          Lawan Dalha

                                        • Cora
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 8, 2012
                                            Congratulations to Dr.Cristina Costa and Dr. Ronlado Lima!!!

                                            Cora :-)))

                                            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Hala Fawzi <haloolahakema@...> wrote:

                                            > Dear Webheads,
                                            > I would like to congratulate two newly PhD holders: Dr. Cristina Costa and Dr. Ronlado Lima.
                                            > Well done, and hearty congratulations!
                                            > Hala.

                                          • Nina Liakos
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 8, 2012
                                              Warm congratulations to Ronaldo and Cristina! What an achievement!
                                              Nina in Maryland

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Dec 8, 2012
                                                Let me add one belated congratulations to doctors Cristina and Ronaldo

                                                and top that with an invitation to please join us on
                                                http://learning2gether.pbworks.com to discuss with us your research.

                                                Vance

                                                On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Nina Liakos <nina.liakos@...> wrote:

                                                > **
                                                >

                                                > Warm congratulations to Ronaldo and Cristina! What an achievement!
                                                > Nina in Maryland
                                                >

                                                > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Hala Fawzi <haloolahakema@...>
                                                > wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Dear Webheads,
                                                > > I would like to congratulate two newly PhD holders: Dr. Cristina Costa
                                                > and Dr. Ronaldo Lima.
                                                >
                                                > > Well done, and hearty congratulations!
                                                > > Hala.

                                                > --
                                                Vance Stevens
                                                http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
                                                http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

                                              • Derya Kulavuz-Onal
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Dec 9, 2012
                                                  Woohooo! That's wonderful news!! Congratulations, Dr. Costa and Dr. Lima!

                                                  Derya Kulavuz-Onal
                                                  Doctoral Candidate, SLAIT
                                                  Grad. TA, WLE / ESOL Education
                                                  University of South Florida
                                                  33620, Tampa, FL

                                                • Maryanne
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Dec 11, 2012
                                                    Congratulations to Cristina and Ronaldo for their daunting accomplishment.