Re: Authoring tools for supplementary language activities

  • Maryanne
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
      Hi Robert,
      Thanks for the information on creating e-books, but I am more interested
      in online strategy games for language learning, particularly in foreign
      languages. There are very few if any strategy/serious games made
      specifically for language learning due to the complexities involved as
      outlined in 10 Key Principles for Designing Video Games for Foreign
      Language Learning
      <http://lingualgames.wordpress.com/article/10-key-principles-for-designi\
      ng-video-27mkxqba7b13d-2/> , but some strategy games made simply for
      entertainment and available in languages other than English can be used
      as supplemental material for L2 learning. Those are the types of games
      I am looking for. Any help would be appreciated.
      Maryanne

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Squires, Robert"
      <robert.squires@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Maryanne,
      >
      > That's very helpful. Vance is doing a great job of pulling these
      resources together for further exploration. One area that there is some
      interest in is developing an app or interactive ibook, which might serve
      a more strategic need. Ibook's, in spite of their seemingly simple
      interface, are not that easy to work with. (They were created in order
      to convert an existing book into an iBook, so unless you have all of
      your content clearly laid out before you begin, you quickly run into
      organizational difficulties. Interactive media is also difficult to make
      work-and, of course, the books only work on Apple devices). A more
      promising approach is the use of Corona SDK to develop a cross-platform
      e-book application:
      http://www.coronalabs.com/i-want-to-build/ebooks-comics/ . There's some
      additional plugins that allow you to work directly in Adobe Creative
      Suite to create your images, animations, and you can preview the whole
      book on various devices as you progress. It's still a fair amount of
      work, but at least you get a product of maximum value.