Re: Survey to conduct Scholarly research on online Communities of Practice

  • jbgreercorp
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 23, 2012
      Laine,

      Thank you for supporting my survey. I also appreciate your comments about your relationship with the group. That is exactly the sort of thing I'm studying.

      I have a quick follow up question: You mention cognitive and affective factors. What do those terms mean to you? I know what they mean to me, but I'd be interested to hear your take on them.

      Thanks!

      Gregg Greer

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Laine Marshall" <Lainemarsh@...> wrote:

      > Gregg,
      > Taking your survey reminded me how much I value the group and, at the same time, how sporadic my active participation turns out to be. I especially appreciated that you included both cognitive and affective factors in your questions.
      > Laine
      > (Marshall)
      > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "beyzaylmaz" <beyzaylmaz@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Dear Gregg,
      > >
      > > I have just completed the survey. Good luck with your research.
      > >
      > > All the best,
      > >
      > > Beyza YILMAZ
      > >
      > > http://byilmaz.edublogs.org
      > >
      > > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Buthaina AlOthman" <buthaina.alothman@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Completed the sutvey two days ago, Gregg.
      > > >
      > > > Wishing you all the best,
      > > > Buthaina (aka Buth)

    • jbgreercorp
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 26, 2012
        Mary,

        Thank you for your excellent response here. Your comment really speaks to the heart of what I'm researching. I don't want to say too much because it might influence how people respond to the survey questions.

        Thank you for supporting my research.

        Gregg Greer

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Maria Rosario Di Mónaco <marydimonaco@...> wrote:

        > Laine, I felt the same while completing the survey. I had this nagging
        > feeling that I take this group for granted, profiting from it all the time
        > and very seldom acknowledging it. As one sometimes does with very close
        > family or friends, which speaks volumes about how I perceive this community
        > :-)
        > Mary
        >
        > On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Laine Marshall <Lainemarsh@...>wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Gregg,
        > > Taking your survey reminded me how much I value the group and, at the same
        > > time, how sporadic my active participation turns out to be. I especially
        > > appreciated that you included both cognitive and affective factors in your
        > > questions.
        > > Laine
        > > (Marshall)
        > >
        > > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "beyzaylmaz" <beyzaylmaz@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >

        > > > Dear Gregg,
        > > >
        > > > I have just completed the survey. Good luck with your research.
        > > >
        > > > All the best,
        > > >
        > > > Beyza YILMAZ
        > > >
        > > > http://byilmaz.edublogs.org
        > > >
        > > > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Buthaina AlOthman"

      • Mary
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 26, 2012
          Dear Gregg,

          I think Vance�s suggestion of taking the survey more than one time to
          report on different communities of practice to which we belong is a
          valuable suggestion. I noticed that I participate very differently in
          different groups.

          Thank you for the e-book.

          � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �

          � � � � � � ? /

        • Laine Marshall
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
            Hi Gregg,
            To me the affective ones had to do with our feelings about the group and our interactions with the members as opposed to the professional resources and information. Does that help?
            Thanks again for a great survey.
            Laine
            (Helaine Marshall - LIU Hudson)

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "jbgreercorp" <jbgreercorp@...> wrote:

            > Laine,
            >
            > Thank you for supporting my survey. I also appreciate your comments about your relationship with the group. That is exactly the sort of thing I'm studying.
            >
            > I have a quick follow up question: You mention cognitive and affective factors. What do those terms mean to you? I know what they mean to me, but I'd be interested to hear your take on them.
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Gregg Greer
            >
            > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Laine Marshall" <Lainemarsh@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Gregg,
            > > Taking your survey reminded me how much I value the group and, at the same time, how sporadic my active participation turns out to be. I especially appreciated that you included both cognitive and affective factors in your questions.
            > > Laine
            > > (Marshall)
            > > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "beyzaylmaz" <beyzaylmaz@> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Dear Gregg,
            > > >
            > > > I have just completed the survey. Good luck with your research.
            > > >
            > > > All the best,
            > > >
            > > > Beyza YILMAZ
            > > >
            > > > http://byilmaz.edublogs.org

          • jbgreercorp
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 11, 2012
              This is just a quick reminder that I am still collecting data for my survey. My goal is to get 1,000 responses.

              Please feel free to forward the link below to any additional online communities of practice that you think would be interested in the information.

              https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9R5F3QC

              Also, the eBook is currently listed on Smashwords. When you complete the survey, if you prefer to email me directly, I can send you a PDF version of the book.

              Thanks again for your help with my research,

              Gregg Greer

              p.s.

              The survey has been well-received in the various communities where it's been posted. Here are excerpts from some of the comments I've received.

              It is interesting to discover my relation to [my community of practice], I never gave it a thought.

              ...Because of this survey, I realize how lucky I am to be part of this COP.

              I enjoyed participating in the survey. Communities of practice appear to have a growing influence in the lives of professionals; often providing key information for strategic or tactical work related issues. As for the survey, the questions were simple and easy to understand. There was a balance to the layout and the number of questions, making the length of the survey appropriate.

              I'm very interested in this topic and would value reviewing your results. To your success!

              I'm very interested in this survey as I'm trying to establish an online community of practice at my workplace and struggling with low active participation rates and especially poor helping and supporting behaviour within the community.

              This survey helped me know and see clearly what this online community means to me !!

              Very nice survey, I will encourage our members to participate

              Very Thought Provoking. Had not considered on community in the light of some of these questions.

              Interesting questions.. made me think a lot as in how much this community actually has become a part of my day to day life.

              ...The effort of the research is encourageable and it has its own value and merits. Thanks, personally for this good initiation. Good luck.

              A good survey. It actually made me realise what I really feel about this particular Community I have been part of 5 years now.

              I think it is a comprehensive survey. I do look forward to reading the results. Good luck!