Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Authoring tools for supplementary language activities

  • Barbara Dieu
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 20, 2012
      Oh..I'm sorry..neither game I mentioned is a tool for writing/creating but
      kids love them nevertheless.
      B.

      --
      Barbara Dieu
      http://barbaradieu.com

    • Maryanne
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
        Robert,
        Robert,
        In researching information on games in language learning, I found A
        Comparison of Computer Game and Language-Learning Task Design Using Flow
        Theory <http://callej.org/journal/12-1/Franciosi_2011.pdf> by Stephan
        J. Franciosi quite on target regarding supplemental material for L2.
        In his article Franciosi suggests that both serious games
        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serious_games> and casual games
        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casual_games> can play a role in second
        language development. He states that arcade type or flashcard games
        would work well for practicing discrete subsets of skills because they
        tend to be repetitive and require players to practice isolated or very
        small sets of skills, and come with the added benefit of a dynamic,
        computer-mediated interaction that supports flow ( p. 21). On the
        other hand, role play games, strategy games or simulations can be used
        to integrate skills in holistic problem-solving activities... ( p. 15)
        What the Spanish professors seemed to be looking for were casual games
        templates that they could use to create additional practice for discrete
        subsets of skills, but they might also consider looking for "serious" or
        "strategy games" to use as motivational supplemental activities. For
        strategy games they could look at Big Fish Games
        <http://www.bigfishgames.com/online-games/index.html> . I believe you
        have 1 hour of free play, but some games require a download). You
        click the word English in the upper right-hand corner for a drop down
        menu of languages available and then click strategy games. Third World
        Farmer in Spanish <http://p-3rd-world-farmer.bajar.toggle.com/> is also
        an option. A good blog with ideas for using games for L2 is Kyle
        Mawer's Digital Play <http://www.digitalplay.info/blog/> . He offers
        practical ideas for having students work alone or collaboratively to
        create "walk-throughs" for games. Personally, I have been looking for
        more good strategy games in Spanish, French or other languages. If
        anyone knows of any, please share. :-)
        Maryanne

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Squires, Robert"
        <robert.squires@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I had a visit from a couple of professors in our Spanish department on
        Friday, who were looking for a way to create supplemental online
        activities because they were fed up with the ones offered by the
        McGraw-Hill textbook that they use. We discussed some options for the
        creation of online activities, but these weren't completely satisfying:
        quia, hot potatoes, etc. Are there some newer authoring tools that allow
        for more complex activity development. The kinds of activities were fill
        in the blank with the correct tense, re-write the sentence, re-organize
        the sentence, etc. (Not generally my favorite, but still a staple of
        foreign/second language teaching on our campus it seems). Have any of
        you setup a website/wiki/blog with supplemental activities like this
        that I could perhaps point them to? Thinking in more general terms, what
        tools are you using to provide textbook reinforcing activities for your
        students?

        > Thanks for considering,
        >
        > Robert

      • Squires, Robert
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
          Thanks Maryanne,

          That's very helpful. Vance is doing a great job of pulling these resources together for further exploration. One area that there is some interest in is developing an app or interactive ibook, which might serve a more strategic need. Ibook's, in spite of their seemingly simple interface, are not that easy to work with. (They were created in order to convert an existing book into an iBook, so unless you have all of your content clearly laid out before you begin, you quickly run into organizational difficulties. Interactive media is also difficult to make work-and, of course, the books only work on Apple devices). A more promising approach is the use of Corona SDK to develop a cross-platform e-book application: http://www.coronalabs.com/i-want-to-build/ebooks-comics/ . There's some additional plugins that allow you to work directly in Adobe Creative Suite to create your images, animations, and you can preview the whole book on various devices as you progress. It's still a fair amount of work, but at least you get a product of maximum value.

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com<mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>, "Squires, Robert"
          <robert.squires@...<mailto:robert.squires@...>> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I had a visit from a couple of professors in our Spanish department on
          Friday, who were looking for a way to create supplemental online
          activities because they were fed up with the ones offered by the
          McGraw-Hill textbook that they use. We discussed some options for the
          creation of online activities, but these weren't completely satisfying:
          quia, hot potatoes, etc. Are there some newer authoring tools that allow
          for more complex activity development. The kinds of activities were fill
          in the blank with the correct tense, re-write the sentence, re-organize
          the sentence, etc. (Not generally my favorite, but still a staple of
          foreign/second language teaching on our campus it seems). Have any of
          you setup a website/wiki/blog with supplemental activities like this
          that I could perhaps point them to? Thinking in more general terms, what
          tools are you using to provide textbook reinforcing activities for your
          students?

          > Thanks for considering,
          >
          > Robert

        • morteza barin
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
            Dear Robert,I'm Morteza Barin one of the webheadsinaction members need some info about multi-media lessons for creating e lessons for mobile phones.I'll be very happy if you and others members to help me to find more info about it.All the best.Morteza Barin

          • Maria Rosario Di Mónaco
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
              Hi Morteza,

              This is what I've found in my Diigo library:
              http://www.educause.edu/ero/article/are-you-ready-mobile-learning
              http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/blogs/rob-lewis/ten-ideas-mobile-learning
              http://mobilestudy.org/home/

              I also suggest you look at the thread "Authoring tools for supplementary
              language activities" in this group. There are loads of great ideas there.
              Not sure about this, but I think some of them might lend themselves to
              mobile learning.

              Best,
              Mary

              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
                Hi Robert,
                Thanks for the information on creating e-books, but I am more interested
                in online strategy games for language learning, particularly in foreign
                languages. There are very few if any strategy/serious games made
                specifically for language learning due to the complexities involved as
                outlined in 10 Key Principles for Designing Video Games for Foreign
                Language Learning
                <http://lingualgames.wordpress.com/article/10-key-principles-for-designi\
                ng-video-27mkxqba7b13d-2/> , but some strategy games made simply for
                entertainment and available in languages other than English can be used
                as supplemental material for L2 learning. Those are the types of games
                I am looking for. Any help would be appreciated.