Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Authoring tools for supplementary language activities

    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 10, 2012
      Is that last one not free and open?

      I've been tracking all this free and open knowledge here
      http://toolkit4learning.blogspot.com/

      keep it coming :-)

      Vance

      Vance Stevens
      http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
      http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 10, 2012
        Hi Bee,

        OK I got it.

        I just want to mention that the free version has all the important functions. But you have to put up with ProProfs branding when a student finishes a quiz.

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Mike. However, I have been sticking to what is free and open online. Do not use quizzes a lot. Still do lots of old fashioned writing and spend weekends correcting and listening to stds presentations online.
        > B.
        >
        > Barbara Dieu
        > http://barbaradieu.com
        > http://beespace.net
        >
        > Sent from my iPad
        >
        > On 10/11/2012, at 13:14, "Mike" <marzio-school@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Elizabeth, Hi Bee,
        > >
        > > Have you heard about ProProfs?
        > > http://www.proprofs.com/
        > > I'm using it for my new mobile site.
        > >
        > > The fact that it's compatible with iPhones and Android devices is one advantage over the competition, since more and more kids are doing their homework; or just learning English on their phones. After finishing a quiz, the resulting html embed file looks great on a computer too.
        > >
        > > There are very few options to choose from for smartphone compatibility. And creating a quiz on ProProfs is a breeze. All you need of course, is your own good content.
        > >
        > > It's got a pretty wide variety of types of interactivity. The only type of activity which I miss is matching quizzes.
        > >
        > > Students enter their name before starting the quiz, and teachers use it to follow up students. I don't need this feature, but it would probably be necessary for quite a few webhead-teachers.
        > >
        > > IMHO, it's an intuitive quiz engine that beats the pants off quiz engines in popular LMSs like Moodle. I'm simply happy that I found what I need.
        > >
        > > Mike
      • Vance
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 19, 2012
          Hi folks,

          I'm still curating your comments here
          http://toolkit4learning.blogspot.ca/2012/11/online-tools-for-creating-engaging.html

          Plus I'd like to ask you if any of you uses http://socrative.com This seems to be a neat little site for getting feedback on the fly via student laptops or mobile devices.

          Vance

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "ElizabethA" <eanne_grenoble@...> wrote:

          > The flurry of activity made me laugh because of course,everyone still needs "supplemental online activies" :-)
          > The great thing about Quizlet is that it tranfers your word lists onto the mobile app. My students think it's very cool:-)
          > I like the way the Thai group have changed the concept with their whole sentences :)
          >
          > Educaplay looks very attractive - thx
          >
          > My two cents :
          > Not so attractive, but fantastically quick to use is http://www.textivate.com/ I sometimes make additional cloze texts with it (just copy paste and select the words) although Larry Ferlanzzo seems to think that http://www.learnclick.com/ is preferable. hmmmm another one to look at :-(
          > Anyways - thx for all the suggestions
          > Amitiés
          > ElizabethA
          >

          > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Squires, Robert" <robert.squires@> wrote:
          > >
          > looking for a way to create supplemental online activities because they were fed up with the ones offered by the McGraw-Hill textbook that they use.

        • Dr. Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 20, 2012
            Just slightly tangentially, I'm interested in authoring tools for games (e.g., like arcade games at classtools.net or proprofs.com) that can be created in languages other than English, e.g., for Spanish native speakers who are learning English or math, but who still need the interface to be in Spanish. Spanish can be found, but how about Arabic, Russian, Chinese, and some of the less familiar languages?

            I realize there may be a culture gap, in that teachers/profs in other languages/countries may not feel that games have much value for learning. Well, come to think of it, that's true of many teachers in the U.S., too. (Learning is serious, not fun!)

            So tools for writing educational games in non-English languages that are a step beyond flashcards or matching -- anyone?

            --Elizabeth H-S

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Vance" <vancestev@...> wrote:

            > Hi folks,
            >
            > I'm still curating your comments here
            > http://toolkit4learning.blogspot.ca/2012/11/online-tools-for-creating-engaging.html
            >
            > Plus I'd like to ask you if any of you uses http://socrative.com This seems to be a neat little site for getting feedback on the fly via student laptops or mobile devices.
            >
            > Vance
            >

            > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "ElizabethA" <eanne_grenoble@> wrote:
            > >
            > > The flurry of activity made me laugh because of course,everyone still needs "supplemental online activies" :-)
            > > The great thing about Quizlet is that it tranfers your word lists onto the mobile app. My students think it's very cool:-)
            > > I like the way the Thai group have changed the concept with their whole sentences :)
            > >
            > > Educaplay looks very attractive - thx
            > >
            > > My two cents :
            > > Not so attractive, but fantastically quick to use is http://www.textivate.com/ I sometimes make additional cloze texts with it (just copy paste and select the words) although Larry Ferlanzzo seems to think that http://www.learnclick.com/ is preferable. hmmmm another one to look at :-(
            > > Anyways - thx for all the suggestions
            > > Amitiés
            > > ElizabethA
            > >

            > > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Squires, Robert" <robert.squires@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > looking for a way to create supplemental online activities because they were fed up with the ones offered by the McGraw-Hill textbook that they use.

          • Barbara Dieu
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 20, 2012
              My young teens love the 20 questions game.
              http://www.20q.net/ (offered in different languages)
              and Akinator is loads of fun as well
              http://en.akinator.com/

              B.

              --
              Barbara Dieu
              http://barbaradieu.com

            • Barbara Dieu
              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 20, 2012
                Oh..I'm sorry..neither game I mentioned is a tool for writing/creating but
                kids love them nevertheless.
                B.

                --
                Barbara Dieu
                http://barbaradieu.com

              • Maryanne
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
                  Robert,
                  Robert,
                  In researching information on games in language learning, I found A
                  Comparison of Computer Game and Language-Learning Task Design Using Flow
                  Theory <http://callej.org/journal/12-1/Franciosi_2011.pdf> by Stephan
                  J. Franciosi quite on target regarding supplemental material for L2.
                  In his article Franciosi suggests that both serious games
                  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serious_games> and casual games
                  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casual_games> can play a role in second
                  language development. He states that arcade type or flashcard games
                  would work well for practicing discrete subsets of skills because they
                  tend to be repetitive and require players to practice isolated or very
                  small sets of skills, and come with the added benefit of a dynamic,
                  computer-mediated interaction that supports flow ( p. 21). On the
                  other hand, role play games, strategy games or simulations can be used
                  to integrate skills in holistic problem-solving activities... ( p. 15)
                  What the Spanish professors seemed to be looking for were casual games
                  templates that they could use to create additional practice for discrete
                  subsets of skills, but they might also consider looking for "serious" or
                  "strategy games" to use as motivational supplemental activities. For
                  strategy games they could look at Big Fish Games
                  <http://www.bigfishgames.com/online-games/index.html> . I believe you
                  have 1 hour of free play, but some games require a download). You
                  click the word English in the upper right-hand corner for a drop down
                  menu of languages available and then click strategy games. Third World
                  Farmer in Spanish <http://p-3rd-world-farmer.bajar.toggle.com/> is also
                  an option. A good blog with ideas for using games for L2 is Kyle
                  Mawer's Digital Play <http://www.digitalplay.info/blog/> . He offers
                  practical ideas for having students work alone or collaboratively to
                  create "walk-throughs" for games. Personally, I have been looking for
                  more good strategy games in Spanish, French or other languages. If
                  anyone knows of any, please share. :-)
                  Maryanne

                  <robert.squires@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > I had a visit from a couple of professors in our Spanish department on
                  Friday, who were looking for a way to create supplemental online
                  activities because they were fed up with the ones offered by the
                  McGraw-Hill textbook that they use. We discussed some options for the
                  creation of online activities, but these weren't completely satisfying:
                  quia, hot potatoes, etc. Are there some newer authoring tools that allow
                  for more complex activity development. The kinds of activities were fill
                  in the blank with the correct tense, re-write the sentence, re-organize
                  the sentence, etc. (Not generally my favorite, but still a staple of
                  foreign/second language teaching on our campus it seems). Have any of
                  you setup a website/wiki/blog with supplemental activities like this
                  that I could perhaps point them to? Thinking in more general terms, what
                  tools are you using to provide textbook reinforcing activities for your
                  students?

                  > Thanks for considering,
                  >
                  > Robert

                • Squires, Robert
                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
                    Thanks Maryanne,

                    That's very helpful. Vance is doing a great job of pulling these resources together for further exploration. One area that there is some interest in is developing an app or interactive ibook, which might serve a more strategic need. Ibook's, in spite of their seemingly simple interface, are not that easy to work with. (They were created in order to convert an existing book into an iBook, so unless you have all of your content clearly laid out before you begin, you quickly run into organizational difficulties. Interactive media is also difficult to make work-and, of course, the books only work on Apple devices). A more promising approach is the use of Corona SDK to develop a cross-platform e-book application: http://www.coronalabs.com/i-want-to-build/ebooks-comics/ . There's some additional plugins that allow you to work directly in Adobe Creative Suite to create your images, animations, and you can preview the whole book on various devices as you progress. It's still a fair amount of work, but at least you get a product of maximum value.

                    --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com<mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>, "Squires, Robert"
                    <robert.squires@...<mailto:robert.squires@...>> wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > I had a visit from a couple of professors in our Spanish department on
                    Friday, who were looking for a way to create supplemental online
                    activities because they were fed up with the ones offered by the
                    McGraw-Hill textbook that they use. We discussed some options for the
                    creation of online activities, but these weren't completely satisfying:
                    quia, hot potatoes, etc. Are there some newer authoring tools that allow
                    for more complex activity development. The kinds of activities were fill
                    in the blank with the correct tense, re-write the sentence, re-organize
                    the sentence, etc. (Not generally my favorite, but still a staple of
                    foreign/second language teaching on our campus it seems). Have any of
                    you setup a website/wiki/blog with supplemental activities like this
                    that I could perhaps point them to? Thinking in more general terms, what
                    tools are you using to provide textbook reinforcing activities for your
                    students?

                    > Thanks for considering,
                    >
                    > Robert

                  • morteza barin
                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
                      Dear Robert,I'm Morteza Barin one of the webheadsinaction members need some info about multi-media lessons for creating e lessons for mobile phones.I'll be very happy if you and others members to help me to find more info about it.All the best.Morteza Barin

                    • Maria Rosario Di Mónaco
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
                        Hi Morteza,

                        This is what I've found in my Diigo library:
                        http://www.educause.edu/ero/article/are-you-ready-mobile-learning
                        http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/blogs/rob-lewis/ten-ideas-mobile-learning
                        http://mobilestudy.org/home/

                        I also suggest you look at the thread "Authoring tools for supplementary
                        language activities" in this group. There are loads of great ideas there.
                        Not sure about this, but I think some of them might lend themselves to
                        mobile learning.

                        Best,
                        Mary

                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 26, 2012
                          Hi Robert,
                          Thanks for the information on creating e-books, but I am more interested
                          in online strategy games for language learning, particularly in foreign
                          languages. There are very few if any strategy/serious games made
                          specifically for language learning due to the complexities involved as
                          outlined in 10 Key Principles for Designing Video Games for Foreign
                          Language Learning
                          <http://lingualgames.wordpress.com/article/10-key-principles-for-designi\
                          ng-video-27mkxqba7b13d-2/> , but some strategy games made simply for
                          entertainment and available in languages other than English can be used
                          as supplemental material for L2 learning. Those are the types of games
                          I am looking for. Any help would be appreciated.
                          Maryanne