Survey to conduct Scholarly research on online Communities of Practice

  • jbgreercorp
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 9, 2012
      Attention Evonline 2002 Webheads CoP members:

      I am a doctoral candidate in the field of Information Systems at Dakota
      State University. I am conducting a research study entitled "The
      Influence of Community Commitment on Knowledge Management in Online
      Communities of Practice".

      I would like to invite you to participate in this online survey as a
      member of an online community of practice. Online communities of
      practice are formed when a group of people communicate and exchange
      ideas on the Web about a specific topic of interest.

      I realize that your time is valuable and have attempted to keep the
      requested information as brief and concise as possible. It will take you
      approximately 15 to 20 minutes to complete the survey.

      presented, respondents will not be linked to the data by name, title or
      any other identifying item. The results of the study will be shared with
      the participating communities when the research is complete.

      I have written an e-book that summarizes his current research on online
      communities of practice. As a reward for completing the survey, you can
      access and download this e-book.

      Please fill out the survey at the link below.

      https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9R5F3QC
      <http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esurveymonkey%2\
      Ecom%2Fs%2F9R5F3QC&urlhash=62k5&_t=tracking_anet>

      Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

      If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me at:

      Gregg Greer
      Assistant Professor
      Information Systems Management/Information Systems Technology
      Department of Business Administration
      Lubbock Christian University
      jggreer@...
      Gregg.Greer@...

    • Dr. Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
        Interesting survey, Gregg, but one question (18?) didn't allow user input as the answer, so I had to put "don't know." Can you fix that?
        --Elizabeth HS

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "jbgreercorp" <jbgreercorp@...> wrote:

        > Attention Evonline 2002 Webheads CoP members:
        >
        > I am a doctoral candidate in the field of Information Systems at Dakota
        > State University. I am conducting a research study entitled "The
        > Influence of Community Commitment on Knowledge Management in Online
        > Communities of Practice".
        >
        > I would like to invite you to participate in this online survey as a
        > member of an online community of practice. Online communities of
        > practice are formed when a group of people communicate and exchange
        > ideas on the Web about a specific topic of interest.
        >
        > I realize that your time is valuable and have attempted to keep the
        > requested information as brief and concise as possible. It will take you
        > approximately 15 to 20 minutes to complete the survey.

        > presented, respondents will not be linked to the data by name, title or
        > any other identifying item. The results of the study will be shared with
        > the participating communities when the research is complete.
        >
        > I have written an e-book that summarizes his current research on online
        > communities of practice. As a reward for completing the survey, you can
        > access and download this e-book.
        >
        > Please fill out the survey at the link below.
        >
        > https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9R5F3QC
        > <http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esurveymonkey%2\
        > Ecom%2Fs%2F9R5F3QC&urlhash=62k5&_t=tracking_anet>
        >
        > Thank you very much for your time and assistance.
        >
        > If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me at:
        >
        > Gregg Greer
        > Assistant Professor
        > Information Systems Management/Information Systems Technology
        > Department of Business Administration
        > Lubbock Christian University
        > jggreer@...
        > Gregg.Greer@...
      • jbgreercorp
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 13, 2012
          Excellent point!

          I've added "Yahoo Groups" as an option on the question about the platform of the group.

          I also added "Other Platform (See below)" as an option.

          Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

          Have a great day!

          Gregg Greer

          p.s. Here's the link to the survey:

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Elizabeth Hanson-Smith" <ehansonsmi@...> wrote:

          > Interesting survey, Gregg, but one question (18?) didn't allow user input as the answer, so I had to put "don't know." Can you fix that?
          > --Elizabeth HS
          >
          > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "jbgreercorp" <jbgreercorp@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Attention Evonline 2002 Webheads CoP members:
          > >
          > > I am a doctoral candidate in the field of Information Systems at Dakota
          > > State University. I am conducting a research study entitled "The
          > > Influence of Community Commitment on Knowledge Management in Online
          > > Communities of Practice".
          > >
          > > I would like to invite you to participate in this online survey as a
          > > member of an online community of practice. Online communities of
          > > practice are formed when a group of people communicate and exchange
          > > ideas on the Web about a specific topic of interest.
          > >
          > > I realize that your time is valuable and have attempted to keep the
          > > requested information as brief and concise as possible. It will take you
          > > approximately 15 to 20 minutes to complete the survey.

          > > presented, respondents will not be linked to the data by name, title or
          > > any other identifying item. The results of the study will be shared with
          > > the participating communities when the research is complete.
          > >
          > > I have written an e-book that summarizes his current research on online
          > > communities of practice. As a reward for completing the survey, you can
          > > access and download this e-book.
          > >
          > > Please fill out the survey at the link below.
          > >
          > > https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9R5F3QC
          > > <http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esurveymonkey%2\
          > > Ecom%2Fs%2F9R5F3QC&urlhash=62k5&_t=tracking_anet>
          > >
          > > Thank you very much for your time and assistance.
          > >
          > > If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me at:
          > >
          > > Gregg Greer
          > > Assistant Professor
          > > Information Systems Management/Information Systems Technology
          > > Department of Business Administration
          > > Lubbock Christian University
          > > jggreer@
          > > Gregg.Greer@

        • Buthaina AlOthman
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 14, 2012
            Completed the sutvey two days ago, Gregg.

            Wishing you all the best,
            Buthaina (aka Buth)

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "jbgreercorp" <jbgreercorp@...> wrote:

            > Attention Evonline 2002 Webheads CoP members:
            >
            > I am a doctoral candidate in the field of Information Systems at Dakota
            > State University. I am conducting a research study entitled "The
            > Influence of Community Commitment on Knowledge Management in Online
            > Communities of Practice".
            >
            > I would like to invite you to participate in this online survey as a
            > member of an online community of practice. Online communities of
            > practice are formed when a group of people communicate and exchange
            > ideas on the Web about a specific topic of interest.
            >
            > I realize that your time is valuable and have attempted to keep the
            > requested information as brief and concise as possible. It will take you
            > approximately 15 to 20 minutes to complete the survey.

            > presented, respondents will not be linked to the data by name, title or
            > any other identifying item. The results of the study will be shared with
            > the participating communities when the research is complete.
            >
            > I have written an e-book that summarizes his current research on online
            > communities of practice. As a reward for completing the survey, you can
            > access and download this e-book.
            >
            > Please fill out the survey at the link below.
            >
            > https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9R5F3QC
            > <http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esurveymonkey%2\
            > Ecom%2Fs%2F9R5F3QC&urlhash=62k5&_t=tracking_anet>
            >
            > Thank you very much for your time and assistance.
            >
            > If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me at:
            >
            > Gregg Greer
            > Assistant Professor
            > Information Systems Management/Information Systems Technology
            > Department of Business Administration
            > Lubbock Christian University
            > jggreer@...
            > Gregg.Greer@...

          • beyzaylmaz
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 16, 2012
              Dear Gregg,

              I have just completed the survey. Good luck with your research.

              All the best,

              Beyza YILMAZ

              http://byilmaz.edublogs.org

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
                I also took the survey and I think it could be very useful for Webheads to
                contribute to this endeavor and get some feedback on how our community is
                perceived by its members.

                The survey asks what Online community you will be reporting on. I imagine
                that results will be available sorted on the communities mentioned.

                For that matter Greg I wonder if it would be useful for you if respondents
                took the survey more than once, but each time reporting on interactions
                with a different community.

                In any event, I encourage community members to provide their feedback,

                Vance

                On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Buthaina AlOthman <
                buthaina.alothman@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Completed the sutvey two days ago, Gregg.
                >
                > Wishing you all the best,
                > Buthaina (aka Buth)
                >

                > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "jbgreercorp" <jbgreercorp@...>
                > wrote:
                > >

                > > Attention Evonline 2002 Webheads CoP members:
                > >
                > > I am a doctoral candidate in the field of Information Systems at Dakota
                > > State University. I am conducting a research study entitled "The
                > > Influence of Community Commitment on Knowledge Management in Online
                > > Communities of Practice".
                > >
                > > I would like to invite you to participate in this online survey as a
                > > member of an online community of practice. Online communities of
                > > practice are formed when a group of people communicate and exchange
                > > ideas on the Web about a specific topic of interest.
                > >
                > > I realize that your time is valuable and have attempted to keep the
                > > requested information as brief and concise as possible. It will take you
                > > approximately 15 to 20 minutes to complete the survey.

                > > presented, respondents will not be linked to the data by name, title or
                > > any other identifying item. The results of the study will be shared with
                > > the participating communities when the research is complete.
                > >
                > > I have written an e-book that summarizes his current research on online
                > > communities of practice. As a reward for completing the survey, you can
                > > access and download this e-book.
                > >
                > > Please fill out the survey at the link below.
                > >
                > > https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9R5F3QC
                > > <
                > http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esurveymonkey%2\
                > > Ecom%2Fs%2F9R5F3QC&urlhash=62k5&_t=tracking_anet>
                > >
                > > Thank you very much for your time and assistance.
                > >
                > > If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me at:
                > >
                > > Gregg Greer
                > > Assistant Professor
                > > Information Systems Management/Information Systems Technology
                > > Department of Business Administration
                > > Lubbock Christian University
                > > jggreer@...
                > > Gregg.Greer@...

                Vance Stevens
                http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
                http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

              • Laine Marshall
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
                  Gregg,
                  Taking your survey reminded me how much I value the group and, at the same time, how sporadic my active participation turns out to be. I especially appreciated that you included both cognitive and affective factors in your questions.
                  Laine
                  (Marshall)
                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "beyzaylmaz" <beyzaylmaz@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Gregg,
                  >
                  > I have just completed the survey. Good luck with your research.
                  >
                  > All the best,
                  >
                  > Beyza YILMAZ
                  >
                  > http://byilmaz.edublogs.org
                  >
                  > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Buthaina AlOthman" <buthaina.alothman@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Completed the sutvey two days ago, Gregg.
                  > >
                  > > Wishing you all the best,
                  > > Buthaina (aka Buth)
                  > >
                  > > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "jbgreercorp" <jbgreercorp@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > > Thank you very much for your time and assistance.
                  > > >
                  > > > If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me at:
                  > > >
                  > > > Gregg Greer
                  > > > Assistant Professor
                  > > > Information Systems Management/Information Systems Technology
                  > > > Department of Business Administration
                  > > > Lubbock Christian University
                  > > > jggreer@
                  > > > Gregg.Greer@

                • Maria Rosario Di Mónaco
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 18, 2012
                    Laine, I felt the same while completing the survey. I had this nagging
                    feeling that I take this group for granted, profiting from it all the time
                    and very seldom acknowledging it. As one sometimes does with very close
                    family or friends, which speaks volumes about how I perceive this community
                    :-)
                    Mary

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 23, 2012
                      Hi Gregg!

                      I just completed your great survey and downloaded your book to my
                      iPhone. Thank you for such a generous offer! :-)

                      Best wishes in your work,

                      Teresa (in Portugal)

                      On 14-11-2012 4:30, jbgreercorp wrote:

                      > Excellent point!
                      >
                      > I've added "Yahoo Groups" as an option on the question about the
                      > platform of the group.
                      >
                      > I also added "Other Platform (See below)" as an option.
                      >
                      > Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
                      >
                      > Have a great day!
                      >
                      > Gregg Greer
                      >
                      > p.s. Here's the link to the survey:
                      >
                      > https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9R5F3QC
                      >
                      > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>, "Dr. Elizabeth
                      > Hanson-Smith" <ehansonsmi@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Interesting survey, Gregg, but one question (18?) didn't allow user
                      > input as the answer, so I had to put "don't know." Can you fix that?
                      > > --Elizabeth HS
                      > >
                      > > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>, "jbgreercorp"
                      > <jbgreercorp@> wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > Attention Evonline 2002 Webheads CoP members:
                      > > >
                      > > > I am a doctoral candidate in the field of Information Systems at
                      > Dakota
                      > > > State University. I am conducting a research study entitled "The
                      > > > Influence of Community Commitment on Knowledge Management in Online
                      > > > Communities of Practice".
                      > > >
                      > > > I would like to invite you to participate in this online survey as a
                      > > > member of an online community of practice. Online communities of
                      > > > practice are formed when a group of people communicate and exchange
                      > > > ideas on the Web about a specific topic of interest.
                      > > >
                      > > > I realize that your time is valuable and have attempted to keep the
                      > > > requested information as brief and concise as possible. It will
                      > take you
                      > > > approximately 15 to 20 minutes to complete the survey.

                      > > > presented, respondents will not be linked to the data by name,
                      > title or
                      > > > any other identifying item. The results of the study will be
                      > shared with
                      > > > the participating communities when the research is complete.
                      > > >
                      > > > I have written an e-book that summarizes his current research on
                      > online
                      > > > communities of practice. As a reward for completing the survey,
                      > you can
                      > > > access and download this e-book.
                      > > >
                      > > > Please fill out the survey at the link below.
                      > > >
                      > > > https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9R5F3QC
                      > > >
                      > <http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esurveymonkey%2\
                      > <http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esurveymonkey%2>>
                      > > Ecom%2Fs%2F9R5F3QC&urlhash=62k5&_t=tracking_anet>
                      > > >
                      > > > Thank you very much for your time and assistance.
                      > > >
                      > > > If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me at:
                      > > >
                      > > > Gregg Greer
                      > > > Assistant Professor
                      > > > Information Systems Management/Information Systems Technology
                      > > > Department of Business Administration
                      > > > Lubbock Christian University
                      > > > jggreer@
                      > > > Gregg.Greer@

                    • jbgreercorp
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 23, 2012
                        Laine,

                        Thank you for supporting my survey. I also appreciate your comments about your relationship with the group. That is exactly the sort of thing I'm studying.

                        I have a quick follow up question: You mention cognitive and affective factors. What do those terms mean to you? I know what they mean to me, but I'd be interested to hear your take on them.

                        Thanks!

                        Gregg Greer

                        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Laine Marshall" <Lainemarsh@...> wrote:

                        > Gregg,
                        > Taking your survey reminded me how much I value the group and, at the same time, how sporadic my active participation turns out to be. I especially appreciated that you included both cognitive and affective factors in your questions.
                        > Laine
                        > (Marshall)
                        > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "beyzaylmaz" <beyzaylmaz@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Dear Gregg,
                        > >
                        > > I have just completed the survey. Good luck with your research.
                        > >
                        > > All the best,
                        > >
                        > > Beyza YILMAZ
                        > >
                        > > http://byilmaz.edublogs.org
                        > >
                        > > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Buthaina AlOthman" <buthaina.alothman@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Completed the sutvey two days ago, Gregg.
                        > > >
                        > > > Wishing you all the best,
                        > > > Buthaina (aka Buth)

                      • jbgreercorp
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 26, 2012
                          Mary,

                          Thank you for your excellent response here. Your comment really speaks to the heart of what I'm researching. I don't want to say too much because it might influence how people respond to the survey questions.

                          Thank you for supporting my research.

                          Gregg Greer

                          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Maria Rosario Di Mónaco <marydimonaco@...> wrote:

                          > Laine, I felt the same while completing the survey. I had this nagging
                          > feeling that I take this group for granted, profiting from it all the time
                          > and very seldom acknowledging it. As one sometimes does with very close
                          > family or friends, which speaks volumes about how I perceive this community
                          > :-)
                          > Mary
                          >
                          > On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Laine Marshall <Lainemarsh@...>wrote:
                          >
                          > > **
                          > >

                          > > Gregg,
                          > > Taking your survey reminded me how much I value the group and, at the same
                          > > time, how sporadic my active participation turns out to be. I especially
                          > > appreciated that you included both cognitive and affective factors in your
                          > > questions.
                          > > Laine
                          > > (Marshall)
                          > >
                          > > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "beyzaylmaz" <beyzaylmaz@>
                          > > wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > Dear Gregg,
                          > > >
                          > > > I have just completed the survey. Good luck with your research.
                          > > >
                          > > > All the best,
                          > > >
                          > > > Beyza YILMAZ
                          > > >
                          > > > http://byilmaz.edublogs.org
                          > > >
                          > > > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Buthaina AlOthman"

                        • Mary
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 26, 2012
                            Dear Gregg,

                            I think Vance�s suggestion of taking the survey more than one time to
                            report on different communities of practice to which we belong is a
                            valuable suggestion. I noticed that I participate very differently in
                            different groups.

                            Thank you for the e-book.

                            � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �

                            � � � � � � ? /

                          • Laine Marshall
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
                              Hi Gregg,
                              To me the affective ones had to do with our feelings about the group and our interactions with the members as opposed to the professional resources and information. Does that help?
                              Thanks again for a great survey.
                              Laine
                              (Helaine Marshall - LIU Hudson)

                              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "jbgreercorp" <jbgreercorp@...> wrote:

                              > Laine,
                              >
                              > Thank you for supporting my survey. I also appreciate your comments about your relationship with the group. That is exactly the sort of thing I'm studying.
                              >
                              > I have a quick follow up question: You mention cognitive and affective factors. What do those terms mean to you? I know what they mean to me, but I'd be interested to hear your take on them.
                              >
                              > Thanks!
                              >
                              > Gregg Greer
                              >
                              > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Laine Marshall" <Lainemarsh@> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > Gregg,
                              > > Taking your survey reminded me how much I value the group and, at the same time, how sporadic my active participation turns out to be. I especially appreciated that you included both cognitive and affective factors in your questions.
                              > > Laine
                              > > (Marshall)
                              > > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "beyzaylmaz" <beyzaylmaz@> wrote:
                              > > >

                              > > > Dear Gregg,
                              > > >
                              > > > I have just completed the survey. Good luck with your research.
                              > > >
                              > > > All the best,
                              > > >
                              > > > Beyza YILMAZ
                              > > >
                              > > > http://byilmaz.edublogs.org

                            • jbgreercorp
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 11, 2012
                                This is just a quick reminder that I am still collecting data for my survey. My goal is to get 1,000 responses.

                                Please feel free to forward the link below to any additional online communities of practice that you think would be interested in the information.

                                https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9R5F3QC

                                Also, the eBook is currently listed on Smashwords. When you complete the survey, if you prefer to email me directly, I can send you a PDF version of the book.

                                Thanks again for your help with my research,

                                Gregg Greer

                                p.s.

                                The survey has been well-received in the various communities where it's been posted. Here are excerpts from some of the comments I've received.

                                It is interesting to discover my relation to [my community of practice], I never gave it a thought.

                                ...Because of this survey, I realize how lucky I am to be part of this COP.

                                I enjoyed participating in the survey. Communities of practice appear to have a growing influence in the lives of professionals; often providing key information for strategic or tactical work related issues. As for the survey, the questions were simple and easy to understand. There was a balance to the layout and the number of questions, making the length of the survey appropriate.

                                I'm very interested in this topic and would value reviewing your results. To your success!

                                I'm very interested in this survey as I'm trying to establish an online community of practice at my workplace and struggling with low active participation rates and especially poor helping and supporting behaviour within the community.

                                This survey helped me know and see clearly what this online community means to me !!

                                Very nice survey, I will encourage our members to participate

                                Very Thought Provoking. Had not considered on community in the light of some of these questions.

                                Interesting questions.. made me think a lot as in how much this community actually has become a part of my day to day life.

                                ...The effort of the research is encourageable and it has its own value and merits. Thanks, personally for this good initiation. Good luck.

                                A good survey. It actually made me realise what I really feel about this particular Community I have been part of 5 years now.

                                I think it is a comprehensive survey. I do look forward to reading the results. Good luck!