Re: History of Webheads

  • pinconatalado
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 27, 2012
      Dan and John:

      Although I seldom post to the various Webheads forums I thought I would add some brief comments on my view of some of the causes that led to the growth of Webheads over the past 10 to 11 years.
      One early annual event that brought the Webheads into a global audience was John Hibb's annual Global Learn Day 28 hour plus event during the late 1990's and early 2000's, which usually had Webheads like Vance, Michael, Dafne, Teresa and others contribute. Dan you may remember we had you on Global Learn Day at City Colleges for one such event along with the Chicago Computer Society. The other thing that contributed was each year for a number of years, Dafne and Teresa had cohorts of new webheads trained online during January through March on Becoming a Webhead. Usually, these annual online training events had over 100 new students and sometimes over 200 new webheads participating. Then there is all the tireless work and volunteer time Vance and a host of other around the world have been contributing as volunteers plus and annual TESOL Electronic Village Online headed up often by Vance, Elizabeth, Christine and a host of others too numerous to list. This unique combination of selfless volunteering has led to this unique Community of Practice and a body of work in this field that is exceptional.
      Kindest personal regards to all
      Andy Pincon
      pincon@...

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, John Hibbs <skipper@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > banks, insurance companies, smart phone makers, etc. etc. etc...if
      > the delivery costs per student are tiny fractions, which they are,
      > then how hard will it be for a provider to "sponsor" a class -- of
      > 5,000, 10,000, 50,000, 150,000 -- and, yes, MOOC classes are of that
      > size.
      >
      > What role will ESLers play in this "brand new world of the MOOC?
      >
      > What role will MOOCs have for guys like Daniel Basill? Is it possible
      > that the MOOC will be the door that opens partnerships between a NFP
      > advocacy group and academic institutions involved in teaching
      > training? networking? social outreach? fundraising? Does the Twain
      > meet there for Dan and, say, the universities within a long bike ride
      > of Chicago? Dunno.
      >
      > The hardest part? Growing Webheads by many, many multiples. You guys
      > ARE the front lines of the battle between what you represent
      > (education, expanded networks, knowledge acquisition, talent, energy)
      > and ignorance, zealotry, stubbornness, --those cemented to the
      > status quo.
      >
      > Take this from one on the outside of the ESL world, looking in. But
      > what I have seen of you for over 15 years is just plain jaw dropping.
      > It's been one hell of a ride and I thank all of you who have put up
      > with this non-teacher and non-ESLer. It's be a grand pleasure to just
      > watch...and vigorously applaud.
      >

      > At 1:11 PM -0500 10/23/12, Daniel Bassill wrote:
      > >I've finally found time to read the paper Vance shared a few weeks
      > >ago showing the growth of Webheads community of practice. You've
      > >piloted social networking and networked learning far earlier than
      > >others who've built a reputation and a fortune from bringing people
      > >together online. I'll be sharing Vance's paper in my own network.
      > >
      > >I've been trying to duplicate this effort for many years, focusing
      > >on people who are supporting non-school, volunteer based
      > >tutor/mentor programs in the US, and engaging anyone who is
      > >concerned with issues of poverty, social justice, wealth gaps,
      > >workforce diversity, etc.
      > >
      > >While my database includes more than 15,000 people and I've recorded
      > >more than a million visits to my web sites since 1998, I still don't
      > >have a platform like Webheads where so many people are active
      > >participants. I think that is special.
      > >
      > >Do you think your community growth was made easier by the fact that
      > >you're in different countries and the Internet was one of the best
      > >ways to connect with others within the ESL community?
      > >
      > >For those of you living in US cities or big cities in other
      > >countries, do you know of CoPs like Webheads that connect people
      > >from various parts of the community that you're in that is similar
      > >in concept to Webheads? I wonder if having the ability to meet
      > >people face to face because of big city proximity actually works
      > >against on-line communities of practice?
      > >
      > >This might be a topic for a Sunday talk but would appreciate any

    • Vance
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 28, 2012
        Hi there,

        I thought I had replied on this thread but having checked the thread history I see I must have dreamed it.

        I just wanted to thank you for your postings and also to point out that while the factors and people you mention regarding Webheads success are all indeed critical, the most important component is the over 1000 community members who have supported one another with enthusiasm, and often in breakout mode from the group at large. It's these constant interactions via subnetworks, not to mention overlapping with other networks, that gives Webheads its pivotal role in all its members' learning journeys. I'm sure that's partially true if, again, not the complete picture.

        Speaking of overlapping networks, I've listened to a dozen of the K-12 online presentations now and I'll follow up shortly with another email prior to my meeting online later today, more info at
        http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#October282012VanceStevensfacilitatesreviewanddiscussionofrecordedannualK12OnlineConferencenbsppresentationsnbsp

        Thanks again for all the support and recollections,
        Vance

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 28, 2012
          Dear Andy,

          So nice to hear from you! How's the family?

          A very warm "thank you" for the very nice references. Much appreciated. :-)

          BTW, BaW celebrates its 10th anniversary in 21013!

          Hugs, Teresa

          On 27-10-2012 21:21, pinconatalado wrote:

          > Dan and John:
          >
          > Although I seldom post to the various Webheads forums I thought I
          > would add some brief comments on my view of some of the causes that
          > led to the growth of Webheads over the past 10 to 11 years.
          > One early annual event that brought the Webheads into a global
          > audience was John Hibb's annual Global Learn Day 28 hour plus event
          > during the late 1990's and early 2000's, which usually had Webheads
          > like Vance, Michael, Dafne, Teresa and others contribute. Dan you may
          > remember we had you on Global Learn Day at City Colleges for one such
          > event along with the Chicago Computer Society. The other thing that
          > contributed was each year for a number of years, Dafne and Teresa had
          > cohorts of new webheads trained online during January through March on
          > Becoming a Webhead. Usually, these annual online training events had
          > over 100 new students and sometimes over 200 new webheads
          > participating. Then there is all the tireless work and volunteer time
          > Vance and a host of other around the world have been contributing as
          > volunteers plus and annual TESOL Electronic Village Online headed up
          > often by Vance, Elizabeth, Christine and a host of others too numerous
          > to list. This unique combination of selfless volunteering has led to
          > this unique Community of Practice and a body of work in this field
          > that is exceptional.
          > Kindest personal regards to all
          > Andy Pincon
          > pincon@... <mailto:pincon%40digibridge.org>

        • Daniel Bassill
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 28, 2012
            Thank you Andy. If you had not introduced me to the Webheads via Global Learn Day I would never have become involved.

            Dan Bassill
            Tutor/Mentor Connection
            Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC

            >I thought I had replied on this thread but having checked the thread history I see I must have dreamed it.
            >
            >I just wanted to thank you for your postings and also to point out that while the factors and people you mention regarding Webheads success are all indeed critical, the most important component is the over 1000 community members who have supported one another with enthusiasm, and often in breakout mode from the group at large. It's these constant interactions via subnetworks, not to mention overlapping with other networks, that gives Webheads its pivotal role in all its members' learning journeys. I'm sure that's partially true if, again, not the complete picture.
            >
            >Speaking of overlapping networks, I've listened to a dozen of the K-12 online presentations now and I'll follow up shortly with another email prior to my meeting online later today, more info at
            >http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#October282012VanceStevensfacilitatesreviewanddiscussionofrecordedannualK12OnlineConferencenbsppresentationsnbsp
            >
            >Thanks again for all the support and recollections,
            >Vance
            >

            >--- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "pinconatalado" <pincon@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Dan and John:
            >>
            >> Although I seldom post to the various Webheads forums I thought I would add some brief comments on my view of some of the causes that led to the growth of Webheads over the past 10 to 11 years.

          • John Hibbs
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 30, 2012
              At 7:51 AM +0000 10/28/12, Vance wrote:
              > the most important component is the over 1000 community members who
              >have supported one another with enthusiasm, and often in breakout
              >mode from the group at large.

              Who gets the last word on this? The most important SINGLE component
              is Great Leadership - of a kind that HELPED bring Webheads to what it
              has become.

              Vance, old Buddy, that's YOU.

              That's MY story and I'm sticking to it.

              :)