Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Newspaper Frontpage Studies: Please pass and share with your students

  • Daniel Bassill
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
      Alden,

      This is a great project. Since 2005 I've been coaching interns to create visualizations sharing ideas about tutoring/mentoring via a variety of formats. You can see many of these at this location. http://www.tutormentorexchange.net/definition-of-issues/ideasanimation

      These presentations are reproductions of ideas I've launched via my blog or via PPT presentations. Here are two.
      * Unleash personal power - http://tinyurl.com/TMI-Make-Good-happen
      * Rest of Story - http://tinyurl.com/TMI-RestOfStoryInterns

      I'd welcome the involvement of you and other Webheads and your students in this project. You can see from how I publish the work interns have done on my web site and blogs that while the students learn from the project they are also taking a role in sharing ideas and mobilizing more people in Chicago and around the world to become involved in programs that help youth living in poverty.

      I think every major city in the world has areas of concentrated poverty and that youth in any part of the world could be creating newsletters, videos and many other forms of visual communications that draw attention, resources and support to the poverty areas of their own countries.

      As students learn to create and communicate these ideas through organized projects such as you've created many will continue to apply these lessons throughout their adult lives and that will result in more success in solving the problems that our generation is leaving to their generation.

      The challenge these youth could be overcoming is the lack of adult continued focus on these issues, as well as the lack of time adults have to do deep learning, research and thinking, drawing from all of the information available on the Internet. Non profits don't have advertising dollars to attract daily attention. Yet there are millions of students throughout the world who have talent and time that could fill this void. Vance and I've talked about this in the past. Here's a comment he posted after an on-line session I co-hosted this past Spring. http://learning2gether.posterous.com/dan-bassill-and-the-tutormentor-connection-in

      If you're interested in connecting please join the group at http://tutormentorconnection.ning.com/group/cktmc or lets connect in the Sunday morning Elluminate sections or in a Google hangout.

      Daniel F. Bassill, D.H.L.
      Tutor/Mentor Connection
      Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC
    • Dr. Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
        Aiden---
        I think it may be security settings for when you set up the class accounts? I can see a comment on your frontpage for the whole class, but I still don't have permission to comment there.
        --Elizabeth

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Teresa Almeida d'Eca <teresadeca@...> wrote:

        > Aiden,
        >
        > We also have that button unchecked in the BaW wikis and the Comments
        > area is active. Hmmm..... Have no idea what's wrong.
        >
        > Hugs, Teresa
        >

        > On 16-10-2012 12:11, Aiden wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks Tere for the comments! I'll pass them on to my students.
        > >
        > > Re. the comments area in wiki, I don't know why people can't post
        > > comments. The 'disable-comment button is unchecked- people should be
        > > able to post. What am I doing wrong?
        > >
        > > Aiden
        > >
        > > Sent from my iPhone

      • Aiden
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 17, 2012
          Hi Dan

          I'll discuss this with my students and I'll let you know if they want to do it.
          Thanks for sharing your work- I'll give it a read later today.

          Aiden

          Sent from my iPhone