Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Newspaper Frontpage Studies: Please pass and share with your students

  • katia hameg
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 15, 2012
      Hi Aiden,

      Thanks for sharing. I'll share it with my ESL adult learners.

      Katia
      On 10/15/2012 12:50 AM, Aiden Yeh wrote:

      > Dear friends,
      >
      > The Newspaper Frontpage Project that my EFL students (Intro to Mass
      > Media) is now finished. I can proudly say that my students did a good
      > job in trying out Rome Adobe. One group found it difficult and used
      > Microsoft Word instead. As you can see from their projects, they still
      > have a long way to go: from writing to lay-outing. You will probably
      > catch a few errors, but I believe that the point of sharing is to
      > provide constructive feedback to motivate them to continue learning
      > and improving their language skills (and in our case, their content
      > knowledge as well).
      >
      > So please be nice with your comments.
      >
      > If you are teaching a related course or doing a project of the same
      > nature, you can show my students' work to your students to give them
      > some inspiration.
      >
      > My students have given their permission to share their work with you,
      > and they are excited and a bit nervous about receiving comments from
      > people they don't know.
      >
      > here's the link to the project:
      > http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/page/59944240/Mass%20Media%20Project%20Details
      > (scroll down)
      >
      > Direct links:
      > Wenzao Era,
      > http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944706/mass%20media2.pdf
      >
      > Sparling Daily,
      > http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944714/Sparling%20Daily.pdf
      > Wenzao, http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944713/dazhong%20(1).pdf
      > Iboom,
      > http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944708/alan%20alice%20belle%20celia(Editted).pdf
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > Aiden Yeh

      Katia HAMEG
      MA TESOL
      EFL/ESL Teacher
      Longueuil (Quebec),
      450-646-9282

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 15, 2012
        Dear Aiden,

        Once again you came up with a great project and the students did great
        work. Kudos to all!!! :-)

        Below are my comments, because the Comments area wasn't active.

        Hugs, Teresa

        Wenzao Era: I related to the topic of the intro of the sports card
        because of soaring power prices. We're going through similar problems
        here. The layout is simple and nice.

        Sparling Daily: Though I've never had a dog, I really like the
        perspective of educating dog owners to prevent abandonment and stray
        dogs on the streets. A very constructive stand. I also loved the piece
        about smartphones and driving. Extremely useful. It must be a worldwide
        problem. Two very catchy pieces of news and very nice layout. :-)

        Wenzao Quarterly: I loved the piece of news about the winning team in
        the competition! The solar bus stops piece is very interesting. Great
        layout!

        IBoom: I liked the idea of the short pieces with catchy and colorful photos.

        On 15-10-2012 5:50, Aiden Yeh wrote:

        > Dear friends,
        >
        > The Newspaper Frontpage Project that my EFL students (Intro to Mass
        > Media) is now finished. I can proudly say that my students did a good
        > job in trying out Rome Adobe. One group found it difficult and used
        > Microsoft Word instead. As you can see from their projects, they still
        > have a long way to go: from writing to lay-outing. You will probably
        > catch a few errors, but I believe that the point of sharing is to
        > provide constructive feedback to motivate them to continue learning
        > and improving their language skills (and in our case, their content
        > knowledge as well).
        >
        > So please be nice with your comments.
        >
        > If you are teaching a related course or doing a project of the same
        > nature, you can show my students' work to your students to give them
        > some inspiration.
        >
        > My students have given their permission to share their work with you,
        > and they are excited and a bit nervous about receiving comments from
        > people they don't know.
        >
        > here's the link to the project:
        > http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/page/59944240/Mass%20Media%20Project%20Details
        > (scroll down)
        >
        > Direct links:
        > Wenzao Era,
        > http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944706/mass%20media2.pdf
        >
        > Sparling Daily,
        > http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944714/Sparling%20Daily.pdf
        > Wenzao, http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944713/dazhong%20(1).pdf
        > Iboom,
        > http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944708/alan%20alice%20belle%20celia(Editted).pdf
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Aiden Yeh

      • Aiden
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
          Thanks Tere for the comments! I'll pass them on to my students.

          Re. the comments area in wiki, I don't know why people can't post comments. The 'disable-comment button is unchecked- people should be able to post. What am I doing wrong?

          Aiden

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
            Aiden,

            We also have that button unchecked in the BaW wikis and the Comments
            area is active. Hmmm..... Have no idea what's wrong.

            Hugs, Teresa

            On 16-10-2012 12:11, Aiden wrote:

            > Thanks Tere for the comments! I'll pass them on to my students.
            >
            > Re. the comments area in wiki, I don't know why people can't post
            > comments. The 'disable-comment button is unchecked- people should be
            > able to post. What am I doing wrong?
            >
            > Aiden
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone

          • Daniel Bassill
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
              Alden,

              This is a great project. Since 2005 I've been coaching interns to create visualizations sharing ideas about tutoring/mentoring via a variety of formats. You can see many of these at this location. http://www.tutormentorexchange.net/definition-of-issues/ideasanimation

              These presentations are reproductions of ideas I've launched via my blog or via PPT presentations. Here are two.
              * Unleash personal power - http://tinyurl.com/TMI-Make-Good-happen
              * Rest of Story - http://tinyurl.com/TMI-RestOfStoryInterns

              I'd welcome the involvement of you and other Webheads and your students in this project. You can see from how I publish the work interns have done on my web site and blogs that while the students learn from the project they are also taking a role in sharing ideas and mobilizing more people in Chicago and around the world to become involved in programs that help youth living in poverty.

              I think every major city in the world has areas of concentrated poverty and that youth in any part of the world could be creating newsletters, videos and many other forms of visual communications that draw attention, resources and support to the poverty areas of their own countries.

              As students learn to create and communicate these ideas through organized projects such as you've created many will continue to apply these lessons throughout their adult lives and that will result in more success in solving the problems that our generation is leaving to their generation.

              The challenge these youth could be overcoming is the lack of adult continued focus on these issues, as well as the lack of time adults have to do deep learning, research and thinking, drawing from all of the information available on the Internet. Non profits don't have advertising dollars to attract daily attention. Yet there are millions of students throughout the world who have talent and time that could fill this void. Vance and I've talked about this in the past. Here's a comment he posted after an on-line session I co-hosted this past Spring. http://learning2gether.posterous.com/dan-bassill-and-the-tutormentor-connection-in

              If you're interested in connecting please join the group at http://tutormentorconnection.ning.com/group/cktmc or lets connect in the Sunday morning Elluminate sections or in a Google hangout.

              Daniel F. Bassill, D.H.L.
              Tutor/Mentor Connection
              Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC
            • Dr. Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
                Aiden---
                I think it may be security settings for when you set up the class accounts? I can see a comment on your frontpage for the whole class, but I still don't have permission to comment there.
                --Elizabeth

                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Teresa Almeida d'Eca <teresadeca@...> wrote:

                > Aiden,
                >
                > We also have that button unchecked in the BaW wikis and the Comments
                > area is active. Hmmm..... Have no idea what's wrong.
                >
                > Hugs, Teresa
                >

                > On 16-10-2012 12:11, Aiden wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks Tere for the comments! I'll pass them on to my students.
                > >
                > > Re. the comments area in wiki, I don't know why people can't post
                > > comments. The 'disable-comment button is unchecked- people should be
                > > able to post. What am I doing wrong?
                > >
                > > Aiden
                > >
                > > Sent from my iPhone

              • Aiden
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 17, 2012
                  Hi Dan

                  I'll discuss this with my students and I'll let you know if they want to do it.
                  Thanks for sharing your work- I'll give it a read later today.

                  Aiden

                  Sent from my iPhone