Almost time for the next Sunday Learning2gether event

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 13, 2012
      Hi everyone,

      Carla Arena's excellent talk on curation last week introduced a number of
      sites that participants didn't know about before. Most of these are blogged
      at http://learning2gether.posterous.com/carla-arena-on-digital-curation and
      there you'll also find Carla's slides and an mp3 recording of her talk
      rendered from the Elluminate recording (also linked there) courtesy of
      Peggy George.

      This week I've agreed to be a part of a professional development series
      conducted online by the university system where I work. The event
      was initially set to start at noon GMT (4 p.m. in UAE) but it will likely
      start at 11:30 (3:30 in UAE). I will give a mini-workshop entitled "Web 2.0
      toolkit for teaching and learning academic presentation skills" as a part
      of the online series of professional development webinars organized by the
      EdTech Lounge, an initiative of the EdTech Innovation Centre, Higher
      Colleges of Technology UAE.

      The talks are billed as free and open but I'm realizing now as I try to
      find where it's meeting that this information is in the first instance
      hidden behind passwords and when you get to it, it says the room location
      will be released an hour before the event happens. The place to go for that
      information is http://tinyurl.com/edtechlounge.

      I know this sounds odd, but I didn't realize the procedure until now. In
      case anyone is interested I'll find out what I can tomorrow and post
      updates here and on Twitter and Facebook as I get them. I'll also go to
      http://tappedin.org and live chat with anyone who wants to attend and one
      way or another we'll get there.

      Best,

      Vance Stevens
      http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
      http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

    • Aiden Yeh
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 14, 2012
        Dear friends,

        The Newspaper Frontpage Project that my EFL students (Intro to Mass Media) is now finished. I can proudly say that my students did a good job in trying out Rome Adobe. One group found it difficult and used Microsoft Word instead. As you can see from their projects, they still have a long way to go: from writing to lay-outing. You will probably catch a few errors, but I believe that the point of sharing is to provide constructive feedback to motivate them to continue learning and improving their language skills (and in our case, their content knowledge as well).

        So please be nice with your comments.

        If you are teaching a related course or doing a project of the same nature, you can show my students' work to your students to give them some inspiration.

        My students have given their permission to share their work with you, and they are excited and a bit nervous about receiving comments from people they don't know.

        here's the link to the project: http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/page/59944240/Mass%20Media%20Project%20Details
        (scroll down)

        Direct links:
        Wenzao Era, http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944706/mass%20media2.pdf

        Sparling Daily, http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944714/Sparling%20Daily.pdf
        Wenzao, http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944713/dazhong%20(1).pdf
        Iboom, http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944708/alan%20alice%20belle%20celia(Editted).pdf

        Thank you.

        Aiden Yeh

      • katia hameg
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 15, 2012
          Hi Aiden,

          Thanks for sharing. I'll share it with my ESL adult learners.

          Katia
          On 10/15/2012 12:50 AM, Aiden Yeh wrote:

          > Dear friends,
          >
          > The Newspaper Frontpage Project that my EFL students (Intro to Mass
          > Media) is now finished. I can proudly say that my students did a good
          > job in trying out Rome Adobe. One group found it difficult and used
          > Microsoft Word instead. As you can see from their projects, they still
          > have a long way to go: from writing to lay-outing. You will probably
          > catch a few errors, but I believe that the point of sharing is to
          > provide constructive feedback to motivate them to continue learning
          > and improving their language skills (and in our case, their content
          > knowledge as well).
          >
          > So please be nice with your comments.
          >
          > If you are teaching a related course or doing a project of the same
          > nature, you can show my students' work to your students to give them
          > some inspiration.
          >
          > My students have given their permission to share their work with you,
          > and they are excited and a bit nervous about receiving comments from
          > people they don't know.
          >
          > here's the link to the project:
          > http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/page/59944240/Mass%20Media%20Project%20Details
          > (scroll down)
          >
          > Direct links:
          > Wenzao Era,
          > http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944706/mass%20media2.pdf
          >
          > Sparling Daily,
          > http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944714/Sparling%20Daily.pdf
          > Wenzao, http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944713/dazhong%20(1).pdf
          > Iboom,
          > http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944708/alan%20alice%20belle%20celia(Editted).pdf
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Aiden Yeh

          Katia HAMEG
          MA TESOL
          EFL/ESL Teacher
          Longueuil (Quebec),
          450-646-9282

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 15, 2012
            Dear Aiden,

            Once again you came up with a great project and the students did great
            work. Kudos to all!!! :-)

            Below are my comments, because the Comments area wasn't active.

            Hugs, Teresa

            Wenzao Era: I related to the topic of the intro of the sports card
            because of soaring power prices. We're going through similar problems
            here. The layout is simple and nice.

            Sparling Daily: Though I've never had a dog, I really like the
            perspective of educating dog owners to prevent abandonment and stray
            dogs on the streets. A very constructive stand. I also loved the piece
            about smartphones and driving. Extremely useful. It must be a worldwide
            problem. Two very catchy pieces of news and very nice layout. :-)

            Wenzao Quarterly: I loved the piece of news about the winning team in
            the competition! The solar bus stops piece is very interesting. Great
            layout!

            IBoom: I liked the idea of the short pieces with catchy and colorful photos.

            On 15-10-2012 5:50, Aiden Yeh wrote:

            > Dear friends,
            >
            > The Newspaper Frontpage Project that my EFL students (Intro to Mass
            > Media) is now finished. I can proudly say that my students did a good
            > job in trying out Rome Adobe. One group found it difficult and used
            > Microsoft Word instead. As you can see from their projects, they still
            > have a long way to go: from writing to lay-outing. You will probably
            > catch a few errors, but I believe that the point of sharing is to
            > provide constructive feedback to motivate them to continue learning
            > and improving their language skills (and in our case, their content
            > knowledge as well).
            >
            > So please be nice with your comments.
            >
            > If you are teaching a related course or doing a project of the same
            > nature, you can show my students' work to your students to give them
            > some inspiration.
            >
            > My students have given their permission to share their work with you,
            > and they are excited and a bit nervous about receiving comments from
            > people they don't know.
            >
            > here's the link to the project:
            > http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/page/59944240/Mass%20Media%20Project%20Details
            > (scroll down)
            >
            > Direct links:
            > Wenzao Era,
            > http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944706/mass%20media2.pdf
            >
            > Sparling Daily,
            > http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944714/Sparling%20Daily.pdf
            > Wenzao, http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944713/dazhong%20(1).pdf
            > Iboom,
            > http://massmedia2012.pbworks.com/w/file/59944708/alan%20alice%20belle%20celia(Editted).pdf
            >
            > Thank you.
            >
            > Aiden Yeh

          • Aiden
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
              Thanks Tere for the comments! I'll pass them on to my students.

              Re. the comments area in wiki, I don't know why people can't post comments. The 'disable-comment button is unchecked- people should be able to post. What am I doing wrong?

              Aiden

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
                Aiden,

                We also have that button unchecked in the BaW wikis and the Comments
                area is active. Hmmm..... Have no idea what's wrong.

                Hugs, Teresa

                On 16-10-2012 12:11, Aiden wrote:

                > Thanks Tere for the comments! I'll pass them on to my students.
                >
                > Re. the comments area in wiki, I don't know why people can't post
                > comments. The 'disable-comment button is unchecked- people should be
                > able to post. What am I doing wrong?
                >
                > Aiden
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone

              • Daniel Bassill
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
                  Alden,

                  This is a great project. Since 2005 I've been coaching interns to create visualizations sharing ideas about tutoring/mentoring via a variety of formats. You can see many of these at this location. http://www.tutormentorexchange.net/definition-of-issues/ideasanimation

                  These presentations are reproductions of ideas I've launched via my blog or via PPT presentations. Here are two.
                  * Unleash personal power - http://tinyurl.com/TMI-Make-Good-happen
                  * Rest of Story - http://tinyurl.com/TMI-RestOfStoryInterns

                  I'd welcome the involvement of you and other Webheads and your students in this project. You can see from how I publish the work interns have done on my web site and blogs that while the students learn from the project they are also taking a role in sharing ideas and mobilizing more people in Chicago and around the world to become involved in programs that help youth living in poverty.

                  I think every major city in the world has areas of concentrated poverty and that youth in any part of the world could be creating newsletters, videos and many other forms of visual communications that draw attention, resources and support to the poverty areas of their own countries.

                  As students learn to create and communicate these ideas through organized projects such as you've created many will continue to apply these lessons throughout their adult lives and that will result in more success in solving the problems that our generation is leaving to their generation.

                  The challenge these youth could be overcoming is the lack of adult continued focus on these issues, as well as the lack of time adults have to do deep learning, research and thinking, drawing from all of the information available on the Internet. Non profits don't have advertising dollars to attract daily attention. Yet there are millions of students throughout the world who have talent and time that could fill this void. Vance and I've talked about this in the past. Here's a comment he posted after an on-line session I co-hosted this past Spring. http://learning2gether.posterous.com/dan-bassill-and-the-tutormentor-connection-in

                  If you're interested in connecting please join the group at http://tutormentorconnection.ning.com/group/cktmc or lets connect in the Sunday morning Elluminate sections or in a Google hangout.

                  Daniel F. Bassill, D.H.L.
                  Tutor/Mentor Connection
                  Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC
                • Dr. Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 16, 2012
                    Aiden---
                    I think it may be security settings for when you set up the class accounts? I can see a comment on your frontpage for the whole class, but I still don't have permission to comment there.
                    --Elizabeth

                    --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Teresa Almeida d'Eca <teresadeca@...> wrote:

                    > Aiden,
                    >
                    > We also have that button unchecked in the BaW wikis and the Comments
                    > area is active. Hmmm..... Have no idea what's wrong.
                    >
                    > Hugs, Teresa
                    >

                    > On 16-10-2012 12:11, Aiden wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks Tere for the comments! I'll pass them on to my students.
                    > >
                    > > Re. the comments area in wiki, I don't know why people can't post
                    > > comments. The 'disable-comment button is unchecked- people should be
                    > > able to post. What am I doing wrong?
                    > >
                    > > Aiden
                    > >
                    > > Sent from my iPhone

                  • Aiden
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 17, 2012
                      Hi Dan

                      I'll discuss this with my students and I'll let you know if they want to do it.
                      Thanks for sharing your work- I'll give it a read later today.

                      Aiden

                      Sent from my iPhone