Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Learning2gether POSTEROUS user view

  • Holly Dilatush
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 14, 2012
      Hello Vance, all,

      The Learning2gether Posterous is looking classy, Vance.

      Simple screenshots attached of my view.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 14, 2012
        Thanks Holly,

        I didn't see the attachment because I think they are disabled here, but
        when I visit the blog now, and if I enable shockwave (I usually disable it
        when not actually using it) I see the player icons. They took a couple of
        hours to appear, but they are there now.

        Next I wanted feedback on the podcast, but I realized when looking at the
        blog that the podcast link wasn't there. So I went into settings and
        activated the sidebar and put in a link to the feedburner podcast which IS
        linked from http://learning2gether.pbworks.com (in the sidebar there).
        http://feeds.feedburner.com/posterous/l2gcast

        As is normal with Posterous, the sidebar has not appeared yet. Also, I
        subscribe myself to the podcast so that I can see how it works and my own
        assessment is not very well. It does work, sometimes the episodes
        download, but I think the site is just slow, and there are timeouts. I'm
        interested in how others get on with the downloads, in case you subscribe
        or would like to.

        Posterous was recently acquired by Twitter, which I don't think has helped
        things. I'm expecting they'll soon introduce the fail whale at Posterous
        now and again.

        It's a great site when it works, but we get what we pay for,

        Vance

        On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Holly Dilatush <holly@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hello Vance, all,
        >
        > The Learning2gether Posterous is looking classy, Vance.
        >
        > Simple screenshots attached of my view.
        >
        > On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 6:44 AM, Vance Stevens <vancestev@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > > If anyone can give feedback on what the user sees, we'd
        > >
        > > love to hear it.

        Vance Stevens
        http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
        http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

      • John Hibbs
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 14, 2012
          Here is the acid test - can John Hibbs find his way to the
          recordings? Can his old and out of date Mac "hear" the podcasts? How
          large will his angst be?

          Surprise....No problem at all!!!! Slicker than owl poop!!! Proof?

          First, I went to
          http://learning2gether.pbworks.com
          There, I easily found a link, marked ARCHIVED RECORDINGS INDEX
          which took me to
          http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/34456755/archiveindex

          easily, I decided to click on 2012 -- which took me here
          http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/34456755/archiveindex#2012

          Then, I clicked on the first link on the top of the page and it took
          me to a podcast with Vance and Michael Coglin from Adelaide, etc.
          etc.ec. (Sunday September 2, 2012)
          http://learning2gether.posterous.com/vance-stevens-discusses-action-research-on-st
          Good sound, voices without a hiccup. Wonderful.

          As I say, ......Slicker than owl poop.

          Nice, nice, nice!!!!

          Hibbs
          http://oregonhibbs.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 14, 2012
            More on the acid test...not so good this time...

            I went to
            http://feeds.feedburner.com/posterous/l2gcast

            Where I clicked the icon meant to take me to the Ana Cristina Pratus
            which icon reads
            LISTEN ON POSTEROUS

            whoops!!!

            Clicking that link took me to
            http://dreamweavelearn.wordpress.com/author/acsaffron/

            While that blog was a VERY nice find...which I found wonderfully
            interesting and captivating, I could not find the links from that
            blog to the recording.

            Which brings me to two points.

            1. Obviously, the Prime Source for Webheads recordings must be the
            most important and the first place to look....especially after the
            Sunday events.

            2. Those featured should be asked, nicely to put a "findable" icon on
            their page which leads to the Sunday Presentation, or the recording.

            3. It might even be that a few of the more ambitious webheads with
            blog sites of their own, that they would endeavor to set up a
            Category - Webheads Recordings -- and then add links and comments to
            that page after every Sunday meeting.

            I'm not good for much, but would be happy, happy, happy, to add
            something like (3) above to my portolio page @ http://oregonhibbs.com
            (someday I will remake bfranklin.edu) Doing some major re-think about
            the bfranklin.edu direction.) (But I digress.)
            Hibbs
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 14, 2012
              Hi John,

              Thanks for sharing with us the results of your experimentation.

              The problem with putting up a recording right after the event is that,
              whereas I can always point you quickly to the Bb Collaborate / Elluminate
              recording of the event (I get the link minutes after the event, and usually
              tweet it and update the link to the wiki), getting an mp3 from that takes
              some effort and several steps which are difficult for me to effect on the
              spot since I'll have been at something work related for about 12 hours by
              the time we're done on Sundays, and I need to eat and sleep. Now if I had
              a partner who would undertake to do the follow up right away, then of
              course, many hands make light work.

              The problem was compounded by the fact that Publish is not working on pc's
              running Java version 7 (if indeed that is the problem) and I only just
              discovered I could use a Macintosh to extract those mp3 files, but now I
              know that, and if the Mac is handy, I can render the mp3 file using
              Elluminate Publish on the Mac. Then I need to create the Posterous blog
              post and upload it there, not a huge job, but not something I'm ready to do
              on Sunday nigh, since we wrap up at 7 pm or later my time, and there's food
              on the table, and I need to be up by 5 a.m. to get to my work the next
              morning.

              Now I appreciate your clicking through the links at the feed URL
              http://feeds.feedburner.com/posterous/l2gcast
              but ...

              That URL is meant to be subscribed to by clicking on one of the icons in
              the top half of the window, or by copying that address into another bit of
              software called a podcatcher. That's a one-off step, since in order for
              the rest to work, you need only to subscribe to this feed through your
              podcatcher. The idea is that you might subscribe to many podcasts and once
              the subscription information is entered then you run the podcatcher and it
              automatically harvests all the podcasts for you. In other words, it goes
              to the Learning2gether site, checks to see if there are any new podcasts
              there, and if there are it downloads them to your computer. You don't need
              to worry about when I get around to putting them up, you just run the
              podcatcher once in a while, and it gets the mp3s for whatever feeds you
              subscribe to, whenever the podmaster has uploaded them for you.

              Many people use iTunes as their podcatcher. I was using something called
              Juice for a long time but it has stopped functioning correctly and the
              forums discussing the problem did not seem to have a solution last time I
              checked (any other Juice users out there?). After a search I settled on a
              podcatcher called PULL. It's a bit buggy and crashes a lot, but I just run
              it again, and it manages the job well enough if you're patient with it.

              If anyone on this list can suggest a great podcatcher we'd love to know
              about it.

              Incidentally feedburner is a site that you can use to set up an RSS feed
              for any URL you give it. Most blogs will handle this for you (they already
              generate RSS feeds). The idea of an RSS feed is that it generates code
              that can be read by a feed reader to know when new content has been posted
              to that URL. If you use feedburner, it asks you if you are a podcaster.
              If you say yes, then it sets up the feed so that it will identify mp3s
              added as content and plop them on subscriber's computers when they read
              that code in their podcatchers.

              So we don't really need a site you can go to and get the files apart from
              http://learning2gether.posterous.com You CAN go there and download the
              mp3s to your computer manually. But by setting up the feed in your
              podcatcher you can automate the process. Most people who do that will set
              up their podcatcher so that it visits many podcast sites, and then they
              accumulate files from multiple sources for automatic download to their
              computers (and then drag them to their mp3 players), or even directly to
              their mobile devices.

              That's what I wish to find out about, how well does that system work for
              those who have set it up.

              Hope this helps, and thanks again for providing feedback,

              Vance