Epaper

  • Aiden
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 14, 2012
      Dear all,

      Can anyone recommend a site or free software that I can use in creating newspaper layouts/front page? Ezine is magazine format- but is there one for newspaper layouts?

      I can ask my students to use Word, but it'll be cool if there are other sites we could try.

      Thanks in advance!

      Aiden

      Sent from my iPhone
    • Helping North
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 14, 2012
        Hello Aiden,
        have you tried Fodey? http://www.fodey.com/generators/newspaper/snippet.asp
        it is not for front pages but it may be interesting to have a look.
        Good luck!

        Paula (in Argentina)
        www.teach-with-internet.wikispaces.com

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 14, 2012
          Hi Aiden,

          Not sure if you're looking for a DTP tool or not, but I've used Adobe Rome (
          http://rome.adobe.com/) for newsletters, etc. and am very happy with it -
          there are a number of templates you can use.

          It's a free tool that can be used either online or you can download it - I
          recommend downloading it for any publication that's more than a couple of
          pages, because it tends to crash otherwise.

          Best,

          Graham

          On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Helping North <helpingnorth@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hello Aiden,
          > have you tried Fodey?
          > http://www.fodey.com/generators/newspaper/snippet.asp
          > it is not for front pages but it may be interesting to have a look.
          > Good luck!
          >
          > Paula (in Argentina)
          > www.teach-with-internet.wikispaces.com
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Aiden
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 14, 2012
            Thanks Graham and Paula for responding :-)

            Paula, I need a tool that would create newspaper layouts (with articles, images and all) -so the image clip would not work. But thanks for the suggestion :-)

            Graham, Rome looks very promising. I'll download and try it out first before I recommend it to my students. Will let the group know how this project will turn out.

            Thanks!

            Aiden

            Sent from my iPhone

            On 2012/9/14, at 21:23, Graham Stanley <blogefl@...> wrote:

            > Hi Aiden,
            >
            > Not sure if you're looking for a DTP tool or not, but I've used Adobe Rome (
            > http://rome.adobe.com/) for newsletters, etc. and am very happy with it -
            > there are a number of templates you can use.
            >
            > It's a free tool that can be used either online or you can download it - I
            > recommend downloading it for any publication that's more than a couple of
            > pages, because it tends to crash otherwise.
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > Graham
            >
            > On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Helping North <helpingnorth@...>wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> Hello Aiden,
            >> have you tried Fodey?
            >> http://www.fodey.com/generators/newspaper/snippet.asp
            >> it is not for front pages but it may be interesting to have a look.
            >> Good luck!
            >>
            >> Paula (in Argentina)
            >> www.teach-with-internet.wikispaces.com
            >>

            >> ________________________________

          • Squires, Robert
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 14, 2012
              Aiden,

              I've been using paper.li. It auto creates an e-paper from hashtags, youtube, rss,etc, so it might not serve for the actual creating of papers, but it might be interesting to view the layout: http://paper.li/

              Robert

              Can anyone recommend a site or free software that I can use in creating newspaper layouts/front page? Ezine is magazine format- but is there one for newspaper layouts?

              I can ask my students to use Word, but it'll be cool if there are other sites we could try.

              Thanks in advance!

              Aiden

              Sent from my iPhone

            • Alexandra Koukoumialou
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 15, 2012
                Dear Aiden,

                There's a free, open source, downloadable software, called Scribus.
                I don't know if you've come across it, but it can produce newspaper /
                magazine layout templates.

                Have a look here:
                http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus

                Hope this was helpful,

                Alexandra

                On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Squires, Robert <robert.squires@...
                > wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Aiden,
                >
                > I've been using paper.li. It auto creates an e-paper from hashtags,
                > youtube, rss,etc, so it might not serve for the actual creating of papers,
                > but it might be interesting to view the layout: http://paper.li/
                >
                > Robert

              • aidenyeh
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 15, 2012
                  Thanks Alexandra! Looks very promising- Will give it a try :-)

                  Aiden

                  Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1Alexandra Koukoumialou <a.koukoumialou@...> wrote:Dear Aiden,

                  There's a free, open source, downloadable software, called Scribus.
                  I don't know if you've come across it, but it can produce newspaper /
                  magazine layout templates.

                  Have a look here:
                  http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus

                  Hope this was helpful,

                  Alexandra

                  On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Squires, Robert <robert.squires@...
                  > wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Aiden,
                  >
                  > I've been using paper.li. It auto creates an e-paper from hashtags,
                  > youtube, rss,etc, so it might not serve for the actual creating of papers,
                  > but it might be interesting to view the layout: http://paper.li/
                  >
                  > Robert

                • Barbara Dieu
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 16, 2012
                    Sthg very quick and easy, maybe not the kind you are looking for but
                    worth a try is
                    http://bighugelabs.com/
                    thed magazine cover
                    http://bighugelabs.com/magazine.php

                    I have used it with my students and in workshops.
                    B.

                    --
                    Barbara Dieu
                    http://barbaradieu.com