A cross-cultural web exchange project, Project Ibunka 2012, Call for Participation

  • Masahito Watanabe
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2012
      A cross-cultural web exchange project, Project Ibunka 2012, Call for
      Participation

      Dear Webheads,

      Hello, again! I'm Masahito Watanabe, Wata, at Yokoham National
      University, Japan. I'm going to organize a new cross-cultural e-mail
      exchange project, Ibunka 2012, again this year. "Ibunka" means
      "different cultures" in Japanese. This is a web-based bulletin board
      discussion in English among partner students from various countries.
      Since 2000, more than 2,000 students from different countries have
      participated in the project. Last year, 367 students from Russia, Poland,
      Indonesia, Taiwan, South Korea, and Japan posted 1,958 messages on the
      boards.

      Please feel free to forward this information to any language teacher who
      you know well and might be interested in the project.

      The site is password protected. Only registered teachers and students
      can access to the site. No anonymous accesses are allowed.

      ******IMPORTANT*******
      If you'd like to expect maximum outcome from your students, your
      leadership as a language teacher is inevitable. The web bulletin board
      system of the project has several unique features so that teachers can
      moderate students' postings. You should carefully consider how you can
      incorporate the project into your class activities and evaluation.
      **********************

      1. Project Schedule
      Students are going to post their messages on the dedicated web-site for
      discussion throughout the project. The following is the general plan:

      1) School life (Sept. 24 - Oct. 21)
      Every partner school hosts its own bulletin board. First, students who
      own the board post introductory messages about their school life and
      invites comments from other partner students.

      postings with 150 or more words, comments with 100 or more words

      2) Cultures (Oct. 22- Nov. 18)
      Students discuss various aspects of their own domestic cultures, such
      as festivals and special events, food culture, fashion, entertainment,
      etc.?

      postings with 200 or more words, comments with 100 or more words

      3) Social Issues - World Peace (Nov. 19 - Dec. 09)
      Students discuss various domestic and international issues, such as
      juvenile crimes, environmental issues, educational issues, regional
      conflicts in the world, etc.

      postings with 250 or more words, comments with 150 or more words

      4) Special Work for Commemorating the Project (Nov. 19 - Dec. 09)
      Video-letter exchange

      The following are the steps you have to take for your students to be
      officially registered:

      2. How to join the project
      1) Send your e-mail to me (wata33@...).

      2) Key in student names, student ids, and e-mail addresses in the MS
      Excel file I am going to send you later, and send the completed file
      back to me.

      Student Name Student ID
      eg John Smith 12001168

      3) Take the pictures of each students.
      If you have a digital camera, take one picture for one student, make
      them smaller in file size (10 - 30 kb in jpeg compressed), and send all
      the pictures to me via e-mail.

      3. If you really join the project
      If you have any further interest in the project, don't hesitate to ask
      me. I'm going to give you site URL, a guest-access account for our
      previous project, and several past newsletters.

      Best,

      WATA

      Masahito Watanabe
      University Education Center (S5-2)
      Yokohama National University
      79-1 Tokiwaday, Hodogaya, Yokohama, Japan
      240-8501
      +81 (0)45-339-3195 (room 204)
      +81 (0)45-339-3135 (room 201)
      wata33@...