Learning2gether on Sundays

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 14, 2012
      Hi everyone,

      I had not intended my last msg to go to anyone but Peggy, but no matter,
      having to resort to Macintosh to convert Elluminate files online to mp3 was
      only one problem I've been having with Learning2gether. Happily I have been
      able to catch up with making mp3 versions of all our Bb Collaborate /
      Elluminate based Learning2gether sessions and I've now updated these to
      http://learning2gether.posterous.com/ . However you may not be able to see
      the recordings, yet. I've been finding that edits I have made since last
      July to this Posterous blog are duly registered in my edit view but may not
      appear in the web view for a day or two. It's very annoying but in theory
      you should be able to access the podcast of these recordings once they are
      posted online. If anyone can give feedback on what the user sees, we'd
      love to hear it.

      Due to these two problems, I've been holding off writing about the very
      interesting chat we had last Sunday with Ana Cristina Pratas. She is an
      extensive reader and curator of blogs and other postings online, and she
      has effective habits in sharing these with her PLN. She is so successful
      at this that she expressed surprise that I even knew about her online
      activities let alone invite her to come and discuss these with the group.
      It's an instructive reminder that our activities online are visible even to
      those we don't know are viewing, though in Cristina's case, this was
      presenting a highly favorable impression. You can find out more at:
      http://learning2gether.posterous.com/learning2gether-with-ana-cristina-pratas-abou

      This Sunday we'll be having a conversation with Coach Carole McCulloch <
      http://coachcarole.net>, an online trainer of teachers from Australia, at
      her own Elluminate room, http://tinyurl.com/3y5lnap
      The long URL, in case you can't reach TinyURLs is:
      https://sas.elluminate.com/site/external/launch/meeting.jnlp?sid=voffice&password=M.7FF09B0FFFA4C84045CDD7A540287A

      The time of this event is earlier than usual, 11 GMT. This means we'll be
      meeting in TappedIn at noon GMT after the event, not before.

      Please visit our Upcoming Events listing for more information on Carole and
      her online session
      http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded

      You can see there that we have some very interesting events coming up,
      starting the following Sunday with a simulcast from the BrazTESOL
      conference, a talk by Denise De Felice on neuroscience in education. The
      week after that get your avatars ready, as we'll be at the SLanguages
      conference online.

      If you can present something of your expertise or organize a discussion,
      you can join the wiki and write it in for any available Sunday, or let me
      know and I'll help you get started.

      Best

      --
      Vance Stevens
      http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com

    • Susana Canelo
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 14, 2012
        Dear Vance:
        Have you tried WiZIQ? It's quite simple, the recorded version of the class is always easy to share and download .A hug. Susana

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 14, 2012
          Hi Susana,

          Thanks for the tip. WiZiQ is no longer free unfortunately. Neither is
          Elluminate but we have it on a longstanding grant from LearningTimes, which
          has really made Learning2gether possible and viable.

          It is an extra step to get an mp3 recording from Elluminate but I don't
          think WiZiQ has anything equivalent. With Elluminate, WiZiQ, Adobe, and
          other such presentation software the recording is there online but to get
          an mp3 you have to play the recording back on your computer and record in
          Audacity in real time. The Elluminate Publish tool allows you render the
          mp3 without having to monitor its real time recording.

          In a world of abundance the one glaring scarcity is time, and in order for
          one person (me) to record and online event and get it podcast, I need this
          kind of tool.

          We have recordings in our archive at
          http://learning2gether.posterous.comthat were not made in Bb
          Collaborate / Elluminate and for those we
          generally do not have mp3 versions. If anyone would like to make one or
          more of the missing mp3s (in real time) and send it to me (YouSendIt works
          well) then (1) you'll see what I'm talking about, and (2) we will be
          forever grateful.

          Vance

        • Mary
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 15, 2012
            HI Vance and all,

            Vance you bhad asked for feedback on whether we can view the recording at
            http://learning2gether.posterous.com/ . I could view it. I nfirst was
            required to download the software for eluiminate. Then the recording
            appeared. sound quality is very good.

            Thanks for putting this all together.

            Mary Ziller
            Viewing from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where I am living for a year

            À Á Â Ã Ç É Ê Í Ó Ô Õ Ú Ü à á â ã ç é ê

            í ó ô õ ú ü ? /

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 16, 2012
              Thanks for the feedback Mary.

              The conversations continue. Our chat with Coach Carole McCulloch yesterday
              is online in Bb Collaborate / Elluminate format, accessible as Mary
              describes below, at http://learning2gether.posterous.com/ .

              In addition, there should be a downloadable mp3 available at the top of the
              link. You should be able to play that in a player that appears, or
              download it to your computer and put it on your mp3 if you wish.

              You should also be able to subscribe to the mp3 feed in your podcatcher.
              The link for that is http://feeds.feedburner.com/posterous/l2gcast. This is
              what I'm particularly concerned to see if it works. The feed is showing up
              at that link, but does Posterous have the omph to deliver it? If you have
              feedback on that I would appreciate it.

              All the best, and enjoy the show :-)

              Vance

            • Peggy George
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 16, 2012
                Hi Vance,
                I was able to view the audio player and play the mp3 recording right in the post on Posterous. I could also have downloaded it but chose not to because it played great in the blog post. That is a great alternative for people who don't want to open it in Blackboard Collaborate. I was also able to use the URL you provided for the podcast feed and subscribe to it in iTunes to play the audio there. Both are great alternatives. Thanks for all that you do to provide these great opportunities. Since most of them occur too early for me to watch as live events I really appreciate the recordings.

                Peggy

              • John Hibbs
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 17, 2012
                  Peggy George beat me to the punch. And because what she says is
                  worth re-reading (and repeating), I including the links from Vance,
                  I won't snip any of it.

                  Thank you Vance. Thank you Webheads. Thank you Peggy George.

                  John Hibbs
                  http://oregonhibbs.com

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 17, 2012
                    Thanks John and Peggy. I'll snip so folks won't get it a third time :-)

                    Peggy mentions access to L2G mp3s through iTunes and I'm glad to know
                    that's working. This coincides with something else I noticed and that is
                    that the K12 online conference starts with a pre-conference keynote on Oct
                    15. They then release presentations asynchronously over the next couple of
                    weeks and follow up with a sunset synchronous meeting (as the sun sets
                    around the world).

                    The presentations are almost always of knock-your-sox-off outstanding
                    quality. MP3 versions are available as podcasts if you can get them
                    through iTunes University (that has never worked for me :-( However, the
                    2010 archive is available for individual download at the website. There is
                    no such archive (yet, mp3s downloadable on a click) for 2011.

                    The 2012 schedule is not really out yet but it looks like it will appear
                    somewhere in this vicinity http://k12onlineconference.org/?page_id=1046

                    I wonder if Peggy would know or suggest if someone in the K12 Online
                    community would like to come on in the last part of October and talk with
                    us about this conference. It's always been one of my favorite podcast
                    feasts and I've learned a lot from listening to the mp3s and watching the
                    mp4s. The artifacts themselves model great uses of technology for teaching
                    above and beyond the content of the presentation itself, which is usually
                    also well worth exploring. It's a great opportunity for all to converge
                    with the community of educators that produces the K12 Online centerpiece of
                    their endeavors each year.

                    best,
                    Vance

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 18, 2012
                      Hi, Vance,

                      It was very easy to subscribe to the mp3 feed in my Google+, and the recording is perfect. Thanks a lot for your efforts to make everything available to everybody in diferente ways.

                      Hugs from Rosario,

                      Rita

                      > Thanks John and Peggy. I'll snip so folks won't get it a third time :-)
                      >
                      > Peggy mentions access to L2G mp3s through iTunes and I'm glad to know
                      > that's working. This coincides with something else I noticed and that is
                      > that the K12 online conference starts with a pre-conference keynote on Oct
                      > 15. They then release presentations asynchronously over the next couple of
                      > weeks and follow up with a sunset synchronous meeting (as the sun sets
                      > around the world).
                      >
                      > The presentations are almost always of knock-your-sox-off outstanding
                      > quality. MP3 versions are available as podcasts if you can get them
                      > through iTunes University (that has never worked for me :-( However, the
                      > 2010 archive is available for individual download at the website. There is
                      > no such archive (yet, mp3s downloadable on a click) for 2011.
                      >
                      > The 2012 schedule is not really out yet but it looks like it will appear
                      > somewhere in this vicinity http://k12onlineconference.org/?page_id=1046
                      >
                      > I wonder if Peggy would know or suggest if someone in the K12 Online
                      > community would like to come on in the last part of October and talk with
                      > us about this conference. It's always been one of my favorite podcast
                      > feasts and I've learned a lot from listening to the mp3s and watching the
                      > mp4s. The artifacts themselves model great uses of technology for teaching
                      > above and beyond the content of the presentation itself, which is usually
                      > also well worth exploring. It's a great opportunity for all to converge
                      > with the community of educators that produces the K12 Online centerpiece of
                      > their endeavors each year.
                      >
                      > best,
                      > Vance

                    • Rita
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 18, 2012
                        Sorry, vance, it was in my Google Reader... ;-)